Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 22-02-2021, 13:41   #3736
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Artistic licence
Definitely...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2021, 14:41   #3737
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Made stuff up that wasn’t said - OK, then...
Extrapolation means ‘estimating or concluding something that existing trends will continue or a current method will remain applicable’ by the definition I see in front of me right now.

Extrapolation is not a lie. It is a reasonable conclusion based on the evidence.

You, however, may choose to use alternative evidence to extrapolate from.
Old 22-02-2021, 14:57   #3738
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Extrapolation means ‘estimating or concluding something that existing trends will continue or a current method will remain applicable’ by the definition I see in front of me right now.

Extrapolation is not a lie. It is a reasonable conclusion based on the evidence.

Whilst a more accurate term would be "assumption", I'm heading off topic so I will keep my contribution short and sweet.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 15:30   #3739
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Debatable use of "reasonable".
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 15:46   #3740
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Extrapolation may not be a lie, but saying
Quote:
Reasons given included ... ...an unwillingness to buy EU goods given the attitude of the EU to trade with us in recent months.
when that reason wasn't given, or even mentioned, isn't extrapolation...

Or are you saying that would have been the answer to a question the survey didn't ask, but if they did, it would have been that?
Old 28-02-2021, 11:15   #3741
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

The way things are going with AS investigation NS might be lucky if she isn't forced to quit
Old 02-03-2021, 18:55   #3742
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
The way things are going with AS investigation NS might be lucky if she isn't forced to quit
Indeed - Conservatives will be tabling a no-confidence motion.
Quote:
Nicola Sturgeon is facing calls to resign after new documents raised further questions about her involvement in the Alex Salmond saga.

The government has published emails showing it continued a legal fight with Mr Salmond despite its lawyers advising it was likely to lose.

Further evidence from two other witnesses has also called into question Ms Sturgeon's version of events.

Ms Sturgeon is to face a Holyrood inquiry into the affair on Wednesday.

The Scottish Conservatives said there was "no longer any doubt that Nicola Sturgeon lied to the Scottish Parliament and broke the ministerial code on numerous counts."

The party said they would be submitting a motion of no confidence in the first minister.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-56259056
Old 02-03-2021, 20:28   #3743
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Indeed - Conservatives will be tabling a no-confidence motion.
Quote:
Nicola Sturgeon is facing calls to resign after new documents raised further questions about her involvement in the Alex Salmond saga.

The government has published emails showing it continued a legal fight with Mr Salmond despite its lawyers advising it was likely to lose.

Further evidence from two other witnesses has also called into question Ms Sturgeon's version of events.

Ms Sturgeon is to face a Holyrood inquiry into the affair on Wednesday.

The Scottish Conservatives said there was "no longer any doubt that Nicola Sturgeon lied to the Scottish Parliament and broke the ministerial code on numerous counts."

The party said they would be submitting a motion of no confidence in the first minister.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-56259056
Pritti amazing the Tories want a politician to resign over breaking the Ministerial Code...
Old 02-03-2021, 20:29   #3744
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Pritti amazing the Tories want a politician to resign over breaking the Ministerial Code...

I see what you did there...
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 22:47   #3745
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Old 02-03-2021, 23:34   #3746
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Asking around my acquaintances, I've detected a change of heart since a year ago.

They all support the union and abhor the notion of Scotland going its own way. But ...

They're tiring of the constant poisonous crap coming from the SNP and are tending towards the "sod 'em" mantra that I've been espousing for some time now. They'll be sorry, but content to watch Scotland go down as a consequence of its own folly. There will be intense interest in the "Withdrawal Agreement" and political fortunes will depend on there being no generosity from the rest of the UK.

There is some concern as to the potential flight south of wiser Scots who see the writing on the wall if the Referendum (if at all held) goes the wrong way.

All the above is why the UK government won't allow a referendum for a very long time.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:15   #3747
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Asking around my acquaintances, I've detected a change of heart since a year ago.

They all support the union and abhor the notion of Scotland going its own way. But ...

They're tiring of the constant poisonous crap coming from the SNP and are tending towards the "sod 'em" mantra that I've been espousing for some time now. They'll be sorry, but content to watch Scotland go down as a consequence of its own folly. There will be intense interest in the "Withdrawal Agreement" and political fortunes will depend on there being no generosity from the rest of the UK.

There is some concern as to the potential flight south of wiser Scots who see the writing on the wall if the Referendum (if at all held) goes the wrong way.

All the above is why the UK government won't allow a referendum for a very long time.

With respect Seph your aquaintences are immaterial. Like it or not the SNP are playing the political aspect of Brexit in that it didn't align with the wishes of the Scots.
It doesn't matter if eventually things may turn out better or not, the Scots feel they were sidelined because of the Union. That is the hand the SNP seem to be playing. That is the hand that works for them, or at least little Jimmy Krankie.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:31   #3748
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
With respect Seph your aquaintences are immaterial. Like it or not the SNP are playing the political aspect of Brexit in that it didn't align with the wishes of the Scots.
It doesn't matter if eventually things may turn out better or not, the Scots feel they were sidelined because of the Union. That is the hand the SNP seem to be playing. That is the hand that works for them, or at least little Jimmy Krankie.
You've misunderstood the purport of my post, Pip. If my acquaintances are English weathervanes (and you are not as I understand), then the growing "sod 'em" mentality is a heavy reason why the government won't allow a referendum.

On the "sidelined" notion of your post, the Scottish hypocrisy is stark. On the one hand, they (SNP) don't want to be bound by the EU Referendum yet they want a binding referendum on Scottish secession from the Union.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:02   #3749
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Not sure if Wokingham Tory Waitrose shoppers are a "weathervane" on this matter.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a Wokingham Tory Waitrose shopper, but I don’t believe they could be classed as a valid sampling of the broader English electorate.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:20   #3750
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Not sure if Wokingham Tory Waitrose shoppers are a "weathervane" on this matter.

Not that there is anything wrong with being a Wokingham Tory Waitrose shopper, but I don’t believe they could be classed as a valid sampling of the broader English electorate.
Maybe the referendum should include voters in the other UK countries to see what the feeling across the all the UK is.
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote