Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-05-2008, 21:32   #7726
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Yes. But the court of human rights is only applicable to public authorities not companies. The complaint to the EU Court of Human Rights would have to be about ICOs lack of action.

Alexander Hanff
So, it can be done on that basis?
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2008, 21:34   #7727
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
Robert, can you edit your post before the time limit runs out for editing,and add some carrage returns in the right places to break up the long data strings, as they are scrolling off the webpage, and make yours and all the other posts really hard to read as they re-flow to the wider view, thanks

thanks, that works and looks far better for me

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

you might not get any good answers but id be interested in Spencer Kelly of Click! attending or at least getting some answers as put from the real AntiPhorm perspective on video.

why did he come across as a Phorm advocate in the shows for instance, does he really side with the Pro-Phorm stance, and if so what are his PERSONAL thoughts on our legal and moral points etc as put here?
Remember that BBC have an obligation to be balanced, and they know that the more scurrilous corporations are the ones that take that obligation the most seriously and are probably the most likely to be litigious. So when dealing with the strong and evil, they well be more neutral than when dealing with an ordinary vulnerable individual member of the public.
Old 31-05-2008, 21:37   #7728
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Posted a link to Phorm_Protest_Event

on the debian forums inviting people to "digg it" (mentioned NebuAd to get the US users interest). I would hope most debian users would be sympathetic
Old 31-05-2008, 21:37   #7729
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
you might not get any good answers but id be interested in Spencer Kelly of Click! attending or at least getting some answers as put from the real AntiPhorm perspective on video.

why did he come across as a Phorm advocate in the shows for instance, does he really side with the Pro-Phorm stance, and if so what are his PERSONAL thoughts on our legal and moral points etc as put here?
Already contacted the producer of Click (Dan Simmons).

New article on NoDPI:
http://nodpi.org/?p=6

Digg:
http://digg.com/politics/ICO_Rubber_...e_Law_Breaking

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 21:44   #7730
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
So, it can be done on that basis?
...but I think that first you would have to go thu the ICOs own internal procedure to complain about the ICO, then take it to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (see post #7719 just above this). There may even be more hoops to jump thru after that...
Old 31-05-2008, 21:55   #7731
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Already contacted the producer of Click (Dan Simmons).

New article on NoDPI:
http://nodpi.org/?p=6

Digg:
http://digg.com/politics/ICO_Rubber_...e_Law_Breaking

Alexander Hanff
that link lists Dan Simmons as a Click! Reporter ?
Old 31-05-2008, 21:56   #7732
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
that link lists Dan Simmons as a Click! Reporter ?
Dan Simmons was the person I communicated with with regards my appearance on Click (he contacted me). So by contacting him it should make it through to the Click team.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 22:07   #7733
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

ohh right, if their up for it, he might get some mobile phone video footage (or use a pro camera to make some footage and place it in the Public domain for all to see)of the producers teams personal thoughts on this Phorm lark

are the Click! Richard Taylor Editor and Series Producer,
Chris Long Producer ,and/or,Talia Franco Producer,and their familys happy to be ISP/Phorm DPI wiretaped for commercial profit on their home Broadband connections if they happen to be part of the 70% plus of the Uk BB covered, i wonder
Old 31-05-2008, 22:20   #7734
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lardycake View Post
...but I think that first you would have to go thu the ICOs own internal procedure to complain about the ICO, then take it to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (see post #7719 just above this). There may even be more hoops to jump thru after that...
Yes it would be advisable to for him to follow the ICO complaints procedure first and then if that doesn't achieve anything he needs to write to his MP making it clear that he is doing so as required under Parliamentary Ombudsman regulations. If his MP is unable to get them to do anything he would then go straight to the Parliamentary Ombudsman for an official complaint.

However, given the EU Commission's stance on this earlier this week, there is no harm in contacting his MEP referencing the EU Commission statement asking them to now act on his behalf.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Forwarded the NoDPI article on ICO to Open Rights Group, FIPR and Earl of Northesk.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 23:12   #7735
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
* * * ICO will NOT take action over the 2007 trials * * *

The ICO have written to me in relation to the complaint I had made about the 2007 trials (re: BT intercepted my communications - told me I had a virus)
Incidentally this is why BT (and Virgin) customers must never never rely on Phorm's opt out.

If it does transpire that Phorm and BT (or Virgin) have ignored your decision to opt out ICO will do nothing at all.

ICO will be assured by BT (or Virgin) that it was a small scale issue (ie, only you were affected), nothing personal was disclosed (even though they processed your entire personal web traffic), and BT have received imaginary legal advice from the garden gnomes that says they are purer than driven snow.

ICO will accept that assurance, do no investigation, and your complaints will be dismissed.

You can't stay with a Phorming ISP. You have no regulatory protection.

Pete.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Old 31-05-2008, 23:47   #7736
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Incidentally this is why BT (and Virgin) customers must never never rely on Phorm's opt out.

If it does transpire that Phorm and BT (or Virgin) have ignored your decision to opt out ICO will do nothing at all.

ICO will be assured by BT (or Virgin) that it was a small scale issue (ie, only you were affected), nothing personal was disclosed (even though they processed your entire personal web traffic), and BT have received imaginary legal advice from the garden gnomes that says they are purer than driven snow.

ICO will accept that assurance, do no investigation, and your complaints will be dismissed.

You can't stay with a Phorming ISP. You have no regulatory protection.

Pete.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

should that not be a laughing gnome (laughing all the way to the bank)????
Old 01-06-2008, 00:04   #7737
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Now just rehearse this phrase carefully for the TV cameras...
Old 01-06-2008, 00:23   #7738
popper
Inactive

i linked this one to the Digg rather than direct to see if it helps improve visability
http://current.com/items/88992107_ic...e_law_breaking

the other one put last night has had only 67 views and zero responses so far.
http://current.com/items/88990813_uk...16th_july_2008

a smaller, but non the less, just as informative gfx placed on all the NoDPI pages might be useful, as currentTV submitted News trys to take any gfx thats on the URL linked page and use it inside the CTV page.
Old 01-06-2008, 00:28   #7739
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
i linked this one to the Dugg rather than direct to see if it helps improve visability
http://current.com/items/88992107_ic...e_law_breaking

the other one put last night has had only 67 views and zero responses so far.
http://current.com/items/88990813_uk...16th_july_2008
Good job poppy.

I have contacted someone with regards to sponsoring the event, I don't know what sort of reaction i will get but said person is a millionaire and very much regarded as a public figure. I have spoken to him on a number of occasions in the past on other matters so hopefully he will want to help.

As an update and very positive news the nodpi donations link has so far raised £110 so thank you to everyone who has donated.

Alexander Hanff
Old 01-06-2008, 00:30   #7740
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
* * * ICO will NOT take action over the 2007 trials * * *

The ICO have written to me in relation to the complaint I had made about the 2007 trials (re: BT intercepted my communications - told me I had a virus)
Steven,

you could make a very specific FOI request to the Information Commissioner, Richard Thomas.

I'd ask
- What attempts were made by ICO to obtain evidence/documentation from BT
- What evidence/documentation was requested by ICO, and disclosed by BT
- What evidence/documentation was requested by ICO, and declined by BT
- Which BT staff members were interviewed
- What was the record of those interviews
- What third party technical experts were interviewed
- What was the record of those interviews

This information requires little or no cost to report (so shouldn't fall foul of the expense limit). I think the answers to those questions would give you a great deal more evidence to support an EU complaint (because I expect they would demonstrate ICO did nothing to adequately investigate your complaint ).

Pete.
Closed Thread