Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 31-05-2008, 15:03   #7711
tdadyslexia
Inactive

Services: Cable Modem 60MB 2 TiVo Box's one, 1TB the other 500GB Plus Phone from NTL
tdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of lighttdadyslexia is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

"No DPI" web site launches with Phorm Protest Event
Digg is up to 72, Going Up.

The Petition is up to Signatures: 13,574
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2008, 16:05   #7712
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

What's with the rather anonymously-named-geeky-sounding 'noDPI' website then? Aren't the bases already covered by this excellent forum and the equally excellent inphormationdesk? Sorry, have I missed something ?
Old 31-05-2008, 16:29   #7713
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Sorry, have I missed something ?
I blinked once on this thread, and missed three pages...
Old 31-05-2008, 16:30   #7714
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
OK press releases sent out to:

London Standard
The London Paper
Telegraph
Guardian
Financial Times
Daily Mail
Wired Magazine
Associated Press

Also notified:
Dan Simmons - BBC Click
Charles Arthur - The Guardian
Claer Barrett - Investors Chronicle

Here is a copy of the press release:

Feel free to use the press release for any contacts you may wish to make with other members of the press and media (obviously change the last couple of lines).

Alexander Hanff
I've sent details of the demo (and the toothless ICO response to the Mainwaring case) to my MP (Annette Brooke LD) who is a signatory to Don Fosters EDM and asked her to let the other signatories know if possible.
Old 31-05-2008, 16:50   #7715
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

On the subject of ICO, it appears they had testes once upon a time..

Can someone legal find a precedent that creates a discord with what they have just done with Mr Rizzo's complaint? PDF attached.
Old 31-05-2008, 18:04   #7716
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What's with the rather anonymously-named-geeky-sounding 'noDPI' website then?

There was a post in this thread that someone had registered www.webspies.co.uk - as it is not currently in use, might I suggest pointing it to the nodpi site until after the meeting.
Old 31-05-2008, 18:05   #7717
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
* * * ICO will NOT take action over the 2007 trials * * *

The ICO have written to me in relation to the complaint I had made about the 2007 trials (re: BT intercepted my communications - told me I had a virus)
"BT have confirmed that no personally identifiable information was processed, stored or disclosed during either trial"

... APART FROM ALL YOUR PERSONAL WEB TRAFFIC.

"it would have been difficult to frame any advice for customers about the operation of cookies, and obtain any relevant consents"

... THATS WHY YOU DON'T DO IT. IF YOU CAN'T COMPLY WITH THE LAW YOU DON'T ACT.

"BT’s view is that as the 2007 trial was small scale and technical in nature and no adverts were served"

... THAT'S BT's VIEW. ITS THE JOB OF THE INFORMATION COMMISSION TO PROTECT ALL THOSE PEOPLE INVOLVED. ONE IS TOO MANY. ONE THOUSAND IS TOO MANY. TEN THOUSAND IS TOO MANY.

Is there a way to complain or appeal that decision?

If that is the best ICO can do, well, this *absolutely* reeks of political corruption.

Pete.
Old 31-05-2008, 18:31   #7718
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
What's with the rather anonymously-named-geeky-sounding 'noDPI' website then? Aren't the bases already covered by this excellent forum and the equally excellent inphormationdesk? Sorry, have I missed something ?
in a way ,yes, but the NoDPI seems set to cover far more than mear Phorm DPI, it can cover all the worlds Deep Packet Inspection/Interception For Profit type operations that are sure to come calling soon, not just the UK part such as the two or three main ones we already know.

such as NebuAd thats got a Uk office ready to start operations once the Phorm trials finally appear and settle one way or the other.

the Experian (1 of the 3 main Uk Credit Reference Agency's)
Experion ClickMe that want to link their existing data into the unlawful interception DPI data they and their partners collect.

and, the Mobile phone Phorm type selling of DPI data that Orange #mobile_phorm type interception are performing and exanding(perhaps right now?)in the near future for instance.

its all the rage and the Mobile 3G/WiMax DPI interception markets are seen as the new MEGA cashcow (far bigger than any current SMS/WAP unlawful data collection for profit etc)for all the Uk, and indeed the worlds mobile data networks.
Old 31-05-2008, 18:43   #7719
lardycake
Inactive

lardycake is an unknown quantity at this point

@Frank (and probably anyone else who makes a complaint to that useless organisation called the ICO)
The ICO have a complaints procedure which you will probably have to follow. It eventually leads to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

ICO Complaints procedure

EDIT: just to clarify, a procedure to complain about the ICO itself
Old 31-05-2008, 19:05   #7720
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
A thought has just crossed what I laughingly call my brain, could be a new wrinkle..

Does phorm/BT's activity contravene our human rights (as in European Court of)?
Yes. But the court of human rights is only applicable to public authorities not companies. The complaint to the EU Court of Human Rights would have to be about ICOs lack of action.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 19:16   #7721
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

it seems everyone missed the Click! 2.28 second coverage of Phorm on their security show update this morning.

they do seem intent on putting the Phorm case and the emails they chose for the Anti-Phorm case were very weak to say the least, but here it is anyway.

full size AVC (H.264,Mpeg4-part10) 2.28 clip
http://www.divshare.com/download/4627159-d39

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/new...23_16x9_bb.asx

Linux/OtherOS VLC users direct link cut and paste the full url as its got a carrage return in it to keep it from scrolling off the browser screen.

mms://wm-acl.bbc.co.uk/wms/news/media_acl/mps/fix/news/science_nature/
video/177000/bb/177023_16x9_bb.wmv
Old 31-05-2008, 19:37   #7722
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

We still need more Diggs

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
* * * ICO will NOT take action over the 2007 trials * * *

The ICO have written to me in relation to the complaint I had made about the 2007 trials (re: BT intercepted my communications - told me I had a virus)
I have passed this information on to Chris Williams and sent you a PM.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 19:45   #7723
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTLVictim View Post
On the subject of ICO, it appears they had testes once upon a time..

Can someone legal find a precedent that creates a discord with what they have just done with Mr Rizzo's complaint? PDF attached.
I'm planning to add information about cookie handling on bt.com, to an existing complaint to ICO, about the way webwise.bt.com/webwise/contact.php operated on 28 May 2008 when I made a test visit. (when it lived over in the USA and sent forwarded emails to customers with headers including reference to ww3.phorm.com) - and I also have todays logs, of a similar visit, AFTER webwise.bt.com got frantically repatriated to UK, and all the code rewritten between 28th and 31st May.

Here's what the new rewritten, relocated BT Webwise pages get up to now that BT have a few days trying to make them legal, decent honest and truthful.

Here is a bit of dephormation logging done AFTER I deleted ALL bt.com cookies manually, logged in to BT Beta forums, and then logged OUT, closed then reopened my browser, then visited webwise.bt.com and filled out a contact.php form.

The first bit shows what the browser is doing as I visit webwise.bt.com (Remember I am NOT logged in to bt.com)

Dephormation Message
Date Time: 31/5/2008 17:31.50
Current Location: http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/in...oLDesc=KB_1167
Current Cookies: JSESSIONID_bta=ENCRYPTEDSTUFF; SMSESSION=LOGGEDOFF; JSESSIONID_btPortalWebApp=ENCRYPTEDSTUFF; btcom.userName=MYPRIMARYBTEMAILADDRESS@btinternet. com; btcom.isLoggedIn=Yes; btcom.dateVisited=31/05/2008; s_cc=true; s_sq=getreportsuiteidMUNGEDSearchBLAHResultsBLAHBL AHpidtBLAHoidBLAHBLAH
http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/in...BLAHDlinkclick
BLAHoLNameBLAHDlink.searchresultsBLAHBLAH; PHPSESSID=ENCRYPTEDSTUFF
-------------------------------------------

and the next bit is the visit to the contact.php submission page - still NOT logged into bt.com

Dephormation Message
Date Time: 31/5/2008 17:31.57
Current Location: http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/contact.php
Current Cookies: JSESSIONID_bta=ENCRYPTEDSTUFF; SMSESSION=LOGGEDOFF; JSESSIONID_btPortalWebApp=ENCRYPTEDSTUFF; btcom.userName=MYPRIMARYBTEMAILADDRESS@btinternet. com; btcom.isLoggedIn=Yes; btcom.dateVisited=31/05/2008; s_cc=true; s_sq=getreportsuiteidBLAHSearchBLAHResultsBLAHpidt BLAHoidBLAH
http://www.webwise.bt.com/webwise/in...ype%25253Dlink
click%252526oLName%25253Dlink.searchresultsBLAH; PHPSESSID=ENCRYPTEDSTUFF

I suppose the ICO will just ask BT if there is anything suspicious about that lot, and BT will say, "Of course not Commissioner - we have sought, er conducted, er extensive legal avice into that iss... er around that area" and that will be the end of it.
Old 31-05-2008, 19:48   #7724
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

I have contacted Rory Cellan-Jones from the BBC as well to see if he would be interested in joining us at the protest.

Alexander Hanff
Old 31-05-2008, 20:29   #7725
popper
Inactive

Robert, can you edit your post before the time limit runs out for editing,and add some carrage returns in the right places to break up the long data strings, as they are scrolling off the webpage, and make yours and all the other posts really hard to read as they re-flow to the wider view, thanks

thanks, that works and looks far better for me

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I have contacted Rory Cellan-Jones from the BBC as well to see if he would be interested in joining us at the protest.

Alexander Hanff
you might not get any good answers but id be interested in Spencer Kelly of Click! attending or at least getting some answers as put from the real AntiPhorm perspective on video.

why did he come across as a Phorm advocate in the shows for instance, does he really side with the Pro-Phorm stance, and if so what are his PERSONAL thoughts on our legal and moral points etc as put here?

what part did Click! Richard Taylor Editor and Series Producer,
Chris Long Producer ,and/or,Talia Franco Producer, play in this some might say Pro-Phorm coverage direction ?; was spencer a mear talking head in all this, and if so ,whats his real view if he's fully informed about the subject, if he's not then he should read the full thread
Closed Thread