Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The future of television

Old 01-01-2023, 21:18   #661
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There will be a place for the existing non-FAST TV channels in the future, just as there will for the FAST channels, of course there will. Nobody’s going to stop it from happening. I simply believe that as on demand viewing becomes prevalent, the broadcasters will choose not to take that route.

I know you and some others who have contributed to this thread disagree, but that is their right. I’m just expressing my opinion, nothing more. I have heard you, and you have heard me. We can all make up our own minds.
You'd make a good Jehovah's witness OB, if they believed the Lord can only he streamed
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2023, 21:26   #662
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You'd make a good Jehovah's witness OB, if they believed the Lord can only he streamed
We are Multi Media nowadays. We had The Photo-Drama of Creation audio visual in cinemas in 1914 and used to minister with phonographs. Jah you see is ahead of his time
Old 01-01-2023, 21:28   #663
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
There will be a place for the existing non-FAST TV channels in the future, just as there will for the FAST channels, of course there will. Nobody’s going to stop it from happening. I simply believe that as on demand viewing becomes prevalent, the broadcasters will choose not to take that route.

I know you and some others who have contributed to this thread disagree, but that is their right. I’m just expressing my opinion, nothing more. I have heard you, and you have heard me. We can all make up our own minds.
Schrödinger’s scheduled programming channels - you believe there’s a place for scheduled programming channels in the future, and also believe that there won’t be a place for scheduled programming channels in the future (because broadcasters will choose not to provide them).

Thank you for clarifying that point…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 23:22   #664
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Schrödinger’s scheduled programming channels - you believe there’s a place for scheduled programming channels in the future, and also believe that there won’t be a place for scheduled programming channels in the future (because broadcasters will choose not to provide them).

Thank you for clarifying that point…
I don’t really think my comment needs any explanation, Hugh. Of course the channels could appear as now but on IPTV. If they wanted to, they could. But I don’t think they would want to do that if on demand was the preference of most viewers, with audience figures for conventional viewing declining. Why would they?
Old 03-01-2023, 22:26   #665
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

The decision of Sony to remain a content producer and not a streamer looks a wise one.
Quote:
Decade-long spending boom on original TV content expected to slow

Lossmaking streaming platforms and traditional channels face pivotal year in 2023, say analysts

Analysts predict 2023 will be a pivotal year for the video media industry, which has been hammered by the deteriorating economy and an expensive transition from traditional television to streaming, where most platform’s soaring content costs have yet to be matched by revenue gains...

Meanwhile, big legacy media companies such as Disney, Paramount and Warner Bros Discovery are facing another year of heavy streaming losses, with Morgan Stanley estimating content costs per subscriber will be almost double that of Netflix while revenue per member will be lower.

Excluding Netflix, Morgan Stanley estimates streaming services suffered operating losses of around $10bn in 2022. Losses are expected to peak for some services in what the analysts called a “tipping point year” where it will be clear costs are reaching “unsustainable levels”.

“Streamers are raising prices and cutting costs,” the Morgan Stanley analysts wrote in a note to clients. “If these moves do not deliver meaningful streaming profits, we see two options (not mutually exclusive): give up and/or consolidate.”
https://www.ft.com/content/d9a7cded-...1-44bf6516d476

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:20 ----------

Quote:
I don’t really think my comment needs any explanation, Hugh. Of course the channels could appear as now but on IPTV. If they wanted to, they could. But I don’t think they would want to do that if on demand was the preference of most viewers, with audience figures for conventional viewing declining. Why would they?
Because it brings in additional viewers at a low cost. Declining audiences doesn't mean small audiences. And some content is better suited to linear channels.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 23:50   #666
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Streamers are learning that consumers are fed up of having to shell out 4+ subscriptions just to watch their programs.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 17:56   #667
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Streamers are learning that consumers are fed up of having to shell out 4+ subscriptions just to watch their programs.
+1
Old 04-01-2023, 18:40   #668
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Because it is trivially inexpensive to set up a selection of content you already own, to first drop according to a pre-advertised schedule.

Just think beyond your silo for half a second and surely even you can see this. If the BBC owns half a dozen shows which it is going to host on demand on the iPlayer, the additional cost of creating an additional menu item which is a parallel live stream, in which those shows feature one after the other of a weekday evening, with linked continuity announcements and advertisements, is tiny. Dropping content in such a way allows busy TV viewers to choose one menu item - the ‘broadcast stream’ or whatever they choose to brand it - and just leave it running. No further intervention required from teatime all the way to the 10 o clock news or beyond. Believe it or not, a lot of people actually do this and are fine with it. It works for them, whether you can comprehend it or not.

If customers want it, the BBC can do it, and the cost of doing it is tiny, why would they *not* want to do it, absent the fundamentalist zeal that underpins your own views on this subject?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 14:08   #669
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
indeed I currently have the following:

Sky - incorporating Discovery+ & Paramount +

Prime

Disney

Apple (which I took out and didn't get around to cancelling, but I've watched some decent stuff on there)

Although I have a Smart TV in every room I access all my content through my SkyQ box, as not all apps are available on all Smart TVs.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:48   #670
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
indeed I currently have the following:

Sky - incorporating Discovery+ & Paramount +

Prime

Disney

Apple (which I took out and didn't get around to cancelling, but I've watched some decent stuff on there)

Although I have a Smart TV in every room I access all my content through my SkyQ box, as not all apps are available on all Smart TVs.
I think Paramount + is a bit optimistic as a stand-alone offering. I can see them being a bolt-on to Now TV in the future. Ending the Smithsonian channel looks like a bit of an own goal.

The interesting development will be what happens to Discovery, HBO, Eurosport and BT Sport.

I'm sure Netflix, Apple, Disney + and Amazon will all remain as they are.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:12   #671
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think Paramount + is a bit optimistic as a stand-alone offering. I can see them being a bolt-on to Now TV in the future. Ending the Smithsonian channel looks like a bit of an own goal.

The interesting development will be what happens to Discovery, HBO, Eurosport and BT Sport.

I'm sure Netflix, Apple, Disney + and Amazon will all remain as they are.
I don’t think Paramount are the only one in that boat. The irony if they bundle/consolidate offerings is it loses what they wanted to achieve - more of their own revenue independent of platforms.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:46   #672
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I suspect that whatever system I go for it will be the same old "there's nothing on to watch".
Old 08-01-2023, 20:59   #673
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Yes sadly thats why I stopped watching.... Almost nothing but bloody disgusting trash on now!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 21:18   #674
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes sadly thats why I stopped watching.... Almost nothing but bloody disgusting trash on now!
Try BBC4 Dude.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 09:59   #675
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Try BBC4 Dude.
He’d have to change his VPN setting…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote