Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 18-09-2019, 18:25   #6391
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I was talking about developing a future “back catalogue” - the value of content today in five, ten, fifteen years.

A streamer is unlikely to develop series with a huge global following like Friends due to reduced reach.
You are assuming the younger generation not embracing streaming as their "go to" entertainment media as well as the current withdrawal of Friends from a current streamer.

Who do you think will be showing the Friends back catalogue in 3yrs time?
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2019, 18:27   #6392
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
You are assuming the younger generation not embracing streaming as their "go to" entertainment media as well as the current withdrawal of Friends from a current streamer.

Who do you think will be showing the Friends back catalogue in 3yrs time?
I’m not talking about Friends as a back catalogue. I’m talking about the new content on streamers now in years to come. None of it will have the reach/value as older content that was mainstream on network channels in the USA.
Old 18-09-2019, 18:34   #6393
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I’m not talking about Friends as a back catalogue. I’m talking about the new content on streamers now in years to come. None of it will have the reach/value as older content that was mainstream on network channels in the USA.
Really, mainstream will become streaming content, available at the same time worldwide. The reach will be larger fuelled by social media.

2 things I know won't have a back catalogue. I-Land and Another Life both Netflix Original failures.
Old 18-09-2019, 18:36   #6394
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

The reason that people will resent paying for Britbox is that it it seems likely that most of its content is available on free to air channels or on channels in a package with a low subscription or on iPlayer
Old 18-09-2019, 18:39   #6395
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Really, mainstream will become streaming content, available at the same time worldwide. The reach will be larger fuelled by social media.

2 things I know won't have a back catalogue. I-Land and Another Life both Netflix Original failures.
The technology will become mainstream, the providers will not if (as expected) the market splits into six, eight, ten providers of more with a few hundred thousand to a few million subscribers each in the UK.

The same will apply at a bigger level across Europe/USA.
Old 18-09-2019, 18:39   #6396
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
The reason that people will resent paying for Britbox is that it it seems likely that most of its content is available on free to air channels or on channels in a package with a low subscription or on iPlayer
Yes in this country.
Old 18-09-2019, 19:32   #6397
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
OK perhaps, I'm just thinking of they future and which streamers people will be using.

I accept being wrong.
We could all be wrong about the future. I would never have dreamed ten years ago that I would have been streaming TV in this way. The whole concept would have eluded me.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Its not just my prediction as its the predictions of most of those who are knowledgeable experts in those markets.
Really? Experts like who? I don't think cash-strapped ITV and the BBC would be doing this if they didn't believe it would be a success.

Of course, there will be those in the industry, such as Sky, who will not want it to succeed and will talk it down.
Old 18-09-2019, 19:33   #6398
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We could all be wrong about the future. I would never have dreamed ten years ago that I would have been streaming TV in this way. The whole concept would have eluded me.
Given how much you espouse streaming as the be all and end all of your viewing its rather strange that you are still a Virgin Media customer.
Old 18-09-2019, 19:38   #6399
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
But there will be much more archive content available on Britbox, from both BBC and ITV. And don't expect those free-to-air channels to be available for much longer, either.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Quote:
Material such as 'Breaking Bad' and 'The Crown' are examples of popular archive material in the future.
Old 18-09-2019, 19:42   #6400
jfman
Architect of Ideas

We will see if they stand the test of time in the same way. I'm going to say "no".
Old 18-09-2019, 19:48   #6401
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Given how much you espouse streaming as the be all and end all of your viewing its rather strange that you are still a Virgin Media customer.
It is not at all strange as I have explained to you before that we are currently in transition, and you cannot watch everything you want by streaming without commercials and until I can do this on one box, I will continue to use both methods. I did switch my Sky Cinema subscription to Now TV for a year, but I found the separate watch lists, lack of sub-titles and low quality HD rather annoying and my wife couldn't cope with it by herself. All this will change, of course, but we are not there yet...

Ultimately, I am looking for VM to offer bundles of streaming services in place of channels. That's the future I look forward to.

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Quote:
We will see if they stand the test of time in the same way. I'm going to say "no".
We wouldn't expect anything less from you, jfman. Your response has given me supreme confidence that I must be on to something.
Old 18-09-2019, 19:54   #6402
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

If VM are looking to offer streaming bundles one would hope they are negotiating now.

There could be other agregators gearing up. All that's needed is internet.
Old 18-09-2019, 19:56   #6403
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If VM are looking to offer streaming bundles one would hope they are negotiating now.

There could be other agregators gearing up. All that's needed is internet.
That's right. Virgin are a tad slow, aren't they? Prime was only added this year.

One would hope that they are already talking to Disney about their launch, for example.
Old 18-09-2019, 20:02   #6404
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
It is not at all strange as I have explained to you before that we are currently in transition, and you cannot watch everything you want by streaming without commercials and until I can do this on one box, I will continue to use both methods. I did switch my Sky Cinema subscription to Now TV for a year, but I found the separate watch lists, lack of sub-titles and low quality HD rather annoying and my wife couldn't cope with it by herself. All this will change, of course, but we are not there yet...

Ultimately, I am looking for VM to offer bundles of streaming services in place of channels. That's the future I look forward to.
Like a politician there is a answer for everything... Trouble is one often contradicts another..

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:

One would hope that they are already talking to Disney about their launch, for example.
Have you ever thought that Disney might have not talked to them or Sky currently.
Old 18-09-2019, 20:06   #6405
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
That's right. Virgin are a tad slow, aren't they? Prime was only added this year.

If they don't get their finger out they will lose. An agregator with a good search option so people can find what they want from wherever will beat the opposition hands down. (I claim copyright on this idea).

Sky Q and Tivo will become outdated.

App on phone, cast to tv etc.
Closed Thread