Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Rate the last movie you saw

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

4K Blu Ray

Old 11-12-2023, 16:47   #1
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of
4K Blu Ray

Anyone else getting fed up of paying around £15 to watch the latest films on streaming services. You don’t really get anything for your money just streaming access on a server and if that company decides to call it a day you loose all your films. Thinking of purchasing my favourite films on 4K Blu ray now I have a 4K TV as the picture quality is stunning. I know there is the physical storage argument and digital being more versatile. What do you think?
cupcakes aka dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2023, 16:59   #2
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: 4K Blu Ray

I see where you are coming from. Soon we will all own absolutely nothing and live in a sort of rental society where nothing belongs to us.

From a quality perspective, it does sound like getting the 4K Bluray is a good idea.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 17:00   #3
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Oooohhh arrrrr me hearties

If you buy it and want it download it from another source. Or hell to it if you want it download it stuff em
Old 11-12-2023, 17:01   #4
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd View Post
Anyone else getting fed up of paying around £15 to watch the latest films on streaming services. You don’t really get anything for your money just streaming access on a server and if that company decides to call it a day you loose all your films. Thinking of purchasing my favourite films on 4K Blu ray now I have a 4K TV as the picture quality is stunning. I know there is the physical storage argument and digital being more versatile. What do you think?
I think there's a balance to be had. I get my absolute favourite films and box series on Bluray (not that many really). Anything else that I'm unlikely to watch again then I'll stream. I guess it depends how deep your pockets are and how much shelf space you have as Blurays, small form factor as they are, can soon mount up if you start "collecting".
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 21:31   #5
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I started with betamax, then swapped for a VHS and had a collection. Then restarted with a DVD collection - big mistake. DVDs are totally crap on today's TVs and the whole lot has all ended up in the bin. I've admitted defeat and totally given up collecting physical media.

I'm glad I haven't gone down the same road with Bluray. Stream or download for me.
Old 11-12-2023, 21:58   #6
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I started with betamax, then swapped for a VHS and had a collection. Then restarted with a DVD collection - big mistake. DVDs are totally crap on today's TVs and the whole lot has all ended up in the bin. I've admitted defeat and totally given up collecting physical media.

I'm glad I haven't gone down the same road with Bluray. Stream or download for me.
Agreed, I'm assuming you mean standard DVD's, they're only 576i resolution so upscaled they will look pretty ropey. Native 4K blu rays on the other hand can look fantastic with a decent 4K player and TV. Personally I enjoy the full ownership aspect of stuff I really enjoy watching but can understand why others may prefer the convenience of just streaming the media.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 22:19   #7
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I think there's a balance to be had. I get my absolute favourite films and box series on Bluray (not that many really). Anything else that I'm unlikely to watch again then I'll stream. I guess it depends how deep your pockets are and how much shelf space you have as Blurays, small form factor as they are, can soon mount up if you start "collecting".
Think I’m going to go down this route. Purchase just my favourite films.

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

Like their plan though. Get everyone to pay for streaming and pay extra for the latest releases and unlike physical media which you can share with the family crack down on password sharing. It’s a win win.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:25   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

We have loads of DVD's and they look fine. I do have the equipment now for 4K Bluray but the price difference is too great.
The big issue with streaming or "owning" a digital asset is that you are at the mercy of the platform and the content owner. If the studio has a hissy fit they can withdraw your rights at any time and suddenly you can't watch something that you've paid for. With owning the media, even on DVD, you can watch as long as the media is good and you have the player. Plus you can get used films on media.
Old 12-12-2023, 12:30   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I still buy a lot of physical media. I have over 500 DVDs, 120 Blu Rays and 23 4K Blu Ray's. I also still have about 27 Laserdiscs.

DVDs still look ok on my 1080p TV upstairs, but haven't used them on my 4K TV downstairs. Even though the player and TV will upscale them.if you have a decent HDMI DVD or Blu Ray player or even a PS4 or 5 they will upscale DVDs to a decent standard.

I do subscribe to a few streaming services and have bought a few films from Amazon video. I never rent movies off Amazon though only purchased.

Last edited by Stephen; 12-12-2023 at 12:34.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 12:32   #10
mi_z
cf.member

mi_z is an unknown quantity at this point

I use cinema paradiso to rent discs for films I haven't seen. I do buy Blu Rays and 4ks too. Imo DVD looks like crap on modern TVs so unless it was filmed on tape or 480p cameras I don't buy those.
mi_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 13:34   #11
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I found my ps4 does a much better job of upscsaling DVDs than my Panasonic blu ray player

i still buy things I really want on blu ray, not so much as I used to, but not only do streaming services sometimes remove TV shows, and films, it happened recently where even if you bought that show, you couldn't watch it any more

and it's still nice to know I can watch a film without it juddering if the internet is playing up or goes down all together
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 00:57   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Buying the media has become more popular because its easy to lose access to online stuff you paid for.

A few years ago I bought a couple of films digitally, and they were stored on Ultraviolet.
That went defunct in 2019, and I lost track of them [and thus access to them].

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2023, 01:05   #13
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Buying the media has become more popular because its easy to lose access to online stuff you paid for.

A few years ago I bought a couple of films digitally, and they were stored on Ultraviolet.
That went defunct in 2019, and I lost track of them [and thus access to them].
There was a thing at the time I'm sure where you could transfer them to Google play. I think I've still got them linked to my Google store account now.
Old 14-12-2023, 18:15   #14
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

HMV are doing two 4K films for £25 at the moment. Not the latest releases but plenty to choose from.
Old 04-01-2024, 14:01   #15
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

BBC recent article

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...eaming-anxiety