Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin offering F-Secure SAFE for free fod 12 months.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Security & Virus Discussion

Many Android anti-virus apps are useless.

Old 18-03-2019, 18:58   #1
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Many Android anti-virus apps are useless.

If a passing Mod wants to move this thread please feel free to do so as I'm not sure if this is the right place to give this link.

AV Comparatives tested 250 Android anti-virus apps and the results published this month are interesting. Well at least they were to me.

Quote:
snippet... we found the malware protection of almost 40% of the tested Android AV apps to be inappropriate.

To help owners of Android devices to distinguish between genuine, effective Android antivirus apps on the one hand, and dubious/ineffective ones on the other, AV-Comparatives have again tested the effectiveness of antimalware programs for Android, in the 2019 Android Test.
Quote:
Snippet from the Conclusion

Some of the Android security products in our test blocked so few of the malware samples– in some cases literally none – that they cannot reasonably be described as anti-malware apps. Compared to last year, we found even more apps using only black/whitelists as a detection mechanism. In fact, even though we tested 46 additional apps this year, the number of apps which we consider “usable” has stayed the same. 55% of the tested apps offered insufficient malware protection. Furthermore, we also found 16 apps that have not been migrated to Android 8 properly, decreasing their protection capabilities on newer Android versions........
https://www.av-comparatives.org/test...2019-250-apps/
Old 18-03-2019, 19:40   #2
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Many Android anti-virus apps are useless.

I was always under the impression that Android didn't need any protection as the risk was so tiny. This article says that you are more likely to have your device stolen than it become infected with a virus!

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to...droid-3668607/

Should I be using one?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 20:52   #3
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

I am an ingrained worrier about all things techie so I do have an anti virus app on my android phone, along side the same virus app on my computer, my laptop and chromebook. I would rather have that little bit of a security blanket in case all my vigilance in keeping myself safe on line fails. Happily my Bitdefender passed the test with a 100% success rate and I have more than enough free resources on my phone to not notice it.

Having read the report I was more interested in the fact that so many of those tested failed and that so many of them were total cons.
Old 18-03-2019, 20:56   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I’ve always used AVG (free) on my phone, and I’m pleased to see it got 100%...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 09:43   #5
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I use Eset's mobile version of Nod32 on my android devices.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:33   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Bit of a misleading or ambiguous title...

TL;DR version is that 80 android AV apps had 100% detection rate and are far from useless. These are well known brands such as ESET, Fsecure, Kaspersky, Avast etc.

As anyone can publish apps in the app store, there are many fake apps trying to get advertising money by offering what looks to be an antivirus product but doesn't do much. Those are the useless ones. Don't Use an AV product you don't recognise.

Just stick to AV brands with a good reputation and you will be ok and have useful protection. Ignore the US and UK government attacks on Kaspersky, it is in the top 3 of all AV software and its reputation is very good among security professionals.

If you install APK's from non-play store sources, ESETs software will jump in and scan it before passing it on to the install stage. It's overhead is very small too.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I was always under the impression that Android didn't need any protection as the risk was so tiny.
Pretty much every operating system can benefit from AntiVirus protection as all can be hacked/exploited and infected.

How you use your phone opens up the size of the attack surface and possibility of infection. If you don't install APK's from random places or visit dodgy sites, your chance of infection is much smaller than someone who does.

At the same time, visitors to many top 100 legit sites have been infected with malware due to bad adverts served on those domains and vulnerabilities in browsers. Although the chance is tiny from visiting a main newspaper site for example, it can and does happen.

There was a recent chrome exploit that also affected android, so just visiting a site could get you infected if they use the exploit code.

Security is always about layers and usability. If your phone slows down to a crawl with AV software, then don't use it. But they have been made to use few resources and not be noticeable so I would recommend trying one. Free ones are going to be noisy and let you know how great they are doing in the hope you buy their premium version. Paid ones like ESET are pretty much silent until they are needed. Try a few but keep to the known brands.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:29   #7
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

My android phone has a built in virus/malware scanning option.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:37   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I have the 10 device Norton so use one of the license for my tablet.