Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 30-11-2018, 19:06   #4021
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
It’s my duty to report on matters as I see fit. Unless you actively think nationalism should trump freedom of speech? That’s rather dangerous if you do.
Playing the free speech card is totally unnecessary. You don't have a "duty to report … as [you] see fit". You have the right to do so.

That your remarks are not constructive is a pity. If you are going to snip, why not be constructive about it?

Btw, I forgot to ask earlier; are you happy for the UK to be in partnership with Macron, given that he's trying to stiff us over fishing rights and the backstop?

My advice is at your risk.
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2018, 19:22   #4022
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Where did I question your freedom to speak your mind? I merely commented that you appeared not to want the best for this country. I notice you didn't deny it.
If the Chancellor’s emergency budget to mitigate the negative consequences of Brexit isn’t in the best interests of this country then I don’t know what is. Should a Finance Minister remove himself from his obligations to do so?

If he is unfit for office do you propose replacing this Government?

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Playing the free speech card is totally unnecessary. You don't have a "duty to report … as [you] see fit". You have the right to do so.

That your remarks are not constructive is a pity. If you are going to snip, why not be constructive about it?

Btw, I forgot to ask earlier; are you happy for the UK to be in partnership with Macron, given that he's trying to stiff us over fishing rights and the backstop?

I’ve commented on the fishing rights a number of times. All trade deals involve concessions- that’s the nature of capitalism. It is you who frames it in terms of “us” and “them” with the largest trading bloc on the planet.

I don’t see my comments as unconstructive. There’s no reason to be positive about a situation that makes the people of this country poorer when there’s a viable alternative.
Old 30-11-2018, 19:25   #4023
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If the Chancellor’s emergency budget to mitigate the negative consequences of Brexit isn’t in the best interests of this country then I don’t know what is. Should a Finance Minister remove himself from his obligations to do so?

If he is unfit for office do you propose replacing this Government?
Again, you're just being contrary without taking in the full argument.

Just step back and recall what Osborne threatened, when he was the Chancellor purporting to act 'in the best interests of this country' and threatened an emergency budget if the Referendum were to support Leave.

This Chancellor, an avowed Remainer who has done everything within his power to thwart the Referendum result, can be judged in the same discredit light as Osborne.

Old 30-11-2018, 19:28   #4024
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Again, you're just being contrary without taking in the full argument.

Just step back and recall what Osborne threatened, when he was the Chancellor purporting to act 'in the best interests of this country' and threatened an emergency budget if the Referendum were to support Leave.

This Chancellor, an avowed Remainer who has done everything within his power to thwart the Referendum result, can be judged in the same discredit light as Osborne.
So you are accusing the Chancellor of lying to Parliament when he said the last budget was on the basis of a deal?

I’ve taken into account all of the arguments that I consider relevant.
Old 30-11-2018, 19:32   #4025
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
<SNIP>

I’ve commented on the fishing rights a number of times. All trade deals involve concessions- that’s the nature of capitalism. It is you who frames it in terms of “us” and “them” with the largest trading bloc on the planet.
When the "them" says, before the ink is dry on the Withdrawal Agreement, that he will keep us in perpetual Backstop (words to that effect) if we don't give away our fishing waters, the "us and them" is entirely justified.

If we do leave based on that agreement, then surely you, as a patriotic Brit, would not want to give in to that sort of blackmail.

I don’t see my comments as unconstructive. There’s no reason to be positive about a situation that makes the people of this country poorer when there’s a viable alternative.
Of course you don't. It doesn't make us much poorer (our 90.7% growth conversation) and your negativity is not fully justified.

Old 30-11-2018, 19:38   #4026
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I don’t see how it’s unpatriotic to want us to get the best deal we can, with fishing rights (or anything else) as part of any negotiation to smooth our trade relationships with other economies.

If you think it’s blackmail that’s your flawed interpretation of how negotiations work.

Poorer is a relative concept and you don’t understand economic growth calculations, which we’ve established and there’s no need to repeat. The calculations you describe don’t say what you claim because you didn’t baseline 100%.
Old 30-11-2018, 20:03   #4027
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
I don’t see how it’s unpatriotic to want us to get the best deal we can, with fishing rights (or anything else) as part of any negotiation to smooth our trade relationships with other economies.

If you think it’s blackmail that’s your flawed interpretation of how negotiations work.

Poorer is a relative concept and you don’t understand economic growth calculations, which we’ve established and there’s no need to repeat. The calculations you describe don’t say what you claim because you didn’t baseline 100%.
I fully understand how negotiations work. I regularly negotiate deals and there is give and take. But what Macron has done is plain nasty, political grandstanding and, frankly, blackmail. I walk away from any such situation.

Your contrariness is probably more pixie than sincere because a normal person would also not wish to be blackmailed like this.

As to your insulting remark about my not understanding economic growth calculations, there was no need to baseline to the current 100%. It was sufficient to take the 100% from the top, since that was the comparison being made.

Old 30-11-2018, 20:04   #4028
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/poli...-a4004961.html

Donald Tusk outlines three possible options.
Well what did you expect, they’re turning the pressure up to 11.

I think they can turn the pressure up to 15, May and the cabinet can charm offence all they want and you can have 30 tv debates.

This deal is not going to get through Parliament.

So Mr Tusk, says the outcome will either be No Deal, or No Brexit. Brexit however is enshrined in law. A law that parliament voted for...convincingly.

Ergo,,,,,,no deal? But no deal ( we are told ) will not be allowed by Parliament..........parliament is walking into a paradox of it’s own making.

As I said earlier, it’s fascinating, real popcorn time.
Old 30-11-2018, 20:05   #4029
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
So Mr Tusk, says the outcome will either be No Deal, or No Brexit. Brexit however is enshrined in law. A law that parliament voted for...convincingly.
Or this deal on a second vote or some sort of fudge
Old 30-11-2018, 20:07   #4030
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Or this deal on a second vote or some sort of fudge
Interesting TM would allow a second vote for MPs but not for the public !
Old 30-11-2018, 20:07   #4031
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Why do you want no deal? It isn't plain and simple.

Hyperinflation, job losses, empty supermarket shelves, no health cover abroad. Either people genuinely don't realise or its a form of masochism.....
You don’t know any of that. ( apart from health cover, but I always take out insurance anyway) If you do, do yourself a favour and put your lottery numbers on, and put mine on too while you’re at it.
Old 30-11-2018, 20:12   #4032
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I fully understand how negotiations work. I regularly negotiate deals and there is give and take. But what Macron has done is plain nasty, political grandstanding and, frankly, blackmail. I walk away from any such situation.

Your contrariness is probably more pixie than sincere because a normal person would also not wish to be blackmailed like this.

As to your insulting remark about my not understanding economic growth calculations, there was no need to baseline to the current 100%. It was sufficient to take the 100% from the top, since that was the comparison being made.

Your comparison doesn’t baseline 100%.

Your flawed interpretation implies that if one economy has 10% growth and another 9% less growth its “91%” of that growth.

100-110
100-109.1

When commentators use 9% less its baselined. So rather than 110% of the original size they mean 101%, or just 10% of the growth experienced elsewhere.

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

Quote:
Well what did you expect, they’re turning the pressure up to 11.

I think they can turn the pressure up to 15, May and the cabinet can charm offence all they want and you can have 30 tv debates.

This deal is not going to get through Parliament.

Ergo,,,,,,no deal? But no deal ( we are told ) will not be allowed by Parliament..........parliament is walking into a paradox of it’s own making.

As I said earlier, it’s fascinating, real popcorn time.
I’ve expected this for some time. As stated earlier, Parliament is sovereign and can unbind itself if there’s the political will to do so. I’d go so far as to say the will is clear, it’s the political expedience of who takes the fall that’s the problem.
Old 30-11-2018, 20:14   #4033
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
It’s my duty to report on matters as I see fit.
You’re hardly Woodward or bloody Bernstein. You’re not reporting on anything. You posting on a discussion forum for Broadband nerds.
Old 30-11-2018, 20:17   #4034
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Interesting TM would allow a second vote for MPs but not for the public !
Well Parliament are meant to be the one making decisions in our system anyway. I would be happy never to have a referendum on anything ever again.
Old 30-11-2018, 20:21   #4035
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
You’re hardly Woodward or bloody Bernstein. You’re not reporting on anything. You posting on a discussion forum for Broadband nerds.
My personal duty to Queen and country isn’t bound but your interpretation of the user base of CF.

Indeed you don’t know if I’m a journalist.
Closed Thread