Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Image Optimisation Guide

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Image Optimisation Guide

Old 10-01-2004, 01:35   #16
luftys
Inactive

luftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant future
Re: Image Optimisation Guide

Thanks s1lv3r,I found it very usefull,shame I did not see it before I posted a picture today it was too small but now next time it will be bigger
Does anyone know of a Tutorial for Photoshop 7,I have it but dont know how to use it

Who said size does not count
luftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2004, 02:42   #17
Sociable
Inactive

Sociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation eraSociable has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by luftys
Thanks s1lv3r,I found it very usefull,shame I did not see it before I posted a picture today it was too small but now next time it will be bigger
Does anyone know of a Tutorial for Photoshop 7,I have it but dont know how to use it

Who said size does not count
Try here for a set of tutorials that should get you started:

http://tiemdesign.com/HOWTO/Photoshop.htm
Sociable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:43   #18
luftys
Inactive

luftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant futureluftys has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sociable
Try here for a set of tutorials that should get you started:

http://tiemdesign.com/HOWTO/Photoshop.htm
thanks
luftys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2004, 16:06   #19
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

** Updated 19/01/04 **

- Added small section on image hosting

Hope this helps some of you.
Don't forget that the free image hosting can be used anywhere.. not just here
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 23:34   #20
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Great, I should do one on Irfanview - www.irfanview.com
For simple image preparation tasks, this piece of freeware does it all, and with less bloat.

One neat trick in Irfanview is to select an area, and then apply the pixelize effect (it applies ONLY to the selection) - great for masking personal info from screenshots.
In Irfanview, the CROP function is on the EDIT menu, but the resize and effects are on the IMAGE menu.
It can also serve as a screengrabber as well.

Sure, Photoshop and Paintshop Pro can do a lot of things that this can't, including cost REAL MONEY, but I've never felt the need for anything else in screenshot preparation - the only thing missing is a compression size/quality preview.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2004, 11:46   #21
ntl customer
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs and funerals.
ntl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond repute

Do you still need the PSP screenshots?
ntl customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2004, 12:31   #22
Jon M
Inactive

Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array

No, I updated those a while back. Thanks anyway
Old 16-04-2004, 13:00   #23
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

slightly but am i right in thinking that the GIF image format is actually owned by somebody (AOL springs to mind) and is thus you should not really be using it without permission, even though most imaging software has the ability to create GIFs?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2004, 13:09   #24
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedGoalPosts
slightly but am i right in thinking that the GIF image format is actually owned by somebody (AOL springs to mind) and is thus you should not really be using it without permission, even though most imaging software has the ability to create GIFs?
See post #14 and this
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/#history
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2004, 13:30   #25
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis
Ah thanks - Looks like I should have gone to specsavers!
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2004, 16:44   #26
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

You forgot to mention the wonderful Save for Web facility in Photoshop which gives you three options for jpgs,gifs and their possible download times and resizing.Look under File.

It's a very useful tool and itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s quicker because you donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t have to open Image Ready.

Incog.
Old 16-04-2004, 22:46   #27
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

http://burnallgifs.org/ - the best site on the GIF issue, why software ptents are a bad idea (you may have noticed another website protest recently).
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 12:04   #28
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Hi Ho s1lv3r

If I view this thread using Opera I never see any pictures in post #1. Also Opera keeps tying itself in knots alternately 'sending request to s1lv3r.com' and 'connecting to s1lv3r.com'. What's more, it keeps doing this, even if I move away to another thread or even a completely different web site. I can only stop it by closing Opera and starting it up again. Something similar happens in Firefox but not if I use IE.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2004, 12:15   #29
Jon M
Inactive

i'll have a look into that, i've got firefox and opera so testing will only take a minute or two.
Old 19-04-2004, 12:19   #30
Jon M
Inactive

fixed. I forgot to update my hotlink protection since the site changed to cableforum from nthw.