Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Merged:-Comcast makes Bid for Sky

Old 17-11-2015, 11:19   #2821
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: General Sky TV Discussion

Heads up for anyone with recordings/series links on Channel 5.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Live-TV-...5/td-p/2393501
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2015, 11:53   #2822
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

SkyQ unveiled

http://www.techradar.com/news/televi...veiled-1309180

UHD , 12 tuners with 4 simultaneous recordings allowed , voice Bluetooth remote.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

More info

https://recombu.com/digital/article/...screen-viewing
Old 18-11-2015, 11:55   #2823
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Expect announcements from other companies in time one suspects...
Old 19-11-2015, 14:56   #2824
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

This genuinely leads me to believe Sky have lost the plot. Their biggest threat is people ditching pay tv to go to FTA + Streaming. Rather than shoring up their NowTV offering, which is proving very popular at combating this threat, they're offering a turbocharged all-singing, all-dancing product? Who do they think is going to buy this? Affluent middle-class customers who've always had the 'top tier' but never watched 90% of it? Or working class people who are mad for sport? Both of these groups of customers have been cutting the cord in steady numbers, or at least defecting to rival, cheaper services.

Q strikes me as having been built by a tech geek (I recognise the signs). Why does it act as a bluetooth and airplay target? Talk about the kitchen sink!

Sky Q - the answer to a question that nobody asked.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 15:20   #2825
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
This genuinely leads me to believe Sky have lost the plot. Their biggest threat is people ditching pay tv to go to FTA + Streaming. Rather than shoring up their NowTV offering, which is proving very popular at combating this threat, they're offering a turbocharged all-singing, all-dancing product? Who do they think is going to buy this? Affluent middle-class customers who've always had the 'top tier' but never watched 90% of it? Or working class people who are mad for sport? Both of these groups of customers have been cutting the cord in steady numbers, or at least defecting to rival, cheaper services.

The Same thought crossed my mind; it's still tied to an expensive pay TV system, which myself, and increasingly more people have or are moving away from.

The big thing of the announcement is the content providers allowing better multi-device viewing rights; they are the people holding up the progress that most people want, not technology, as demonstrated by the restrictions on many channels on Tivo's MRS system. If Sky have bludgeoned the content providers on that one, then well done Sky
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 17:05   #2826
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I kind of see both your points , it confuses me how the press say Sky's answer to Netflix and Amazon when the price will far outweigh the cost of both of those services when took together.

I'm sitting on the fence at the moment until Sky announce packages and pricing etc.

At current price levels there is an opportunity however if the box comes with huge upfront costs and a substantial monthly increase I'd say Sky will need a serious rethink and take up early on will be low.
Old 21-11-2015, 13:51   #2827
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post

Q strikes me as having been built by a tech geek (I recognise the signs). Why does it act as a bluetooth and airplay target? Talk about the kitchen sink!

Sky Q - the answer to a question that nobody asked.
And its taken 2 and a half years

this was probably a good idea 2 and half years ago.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 15:13   #2828
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough

I would say this is quite clearly Sky moving ahead of VM TiVo and BT Youview. They have NowTV doing very well against Netflix/Amazon.

SkyQ looks great to me, multiroom without the need for cables running everywhere. Put my recordings onto my iPad/iPhone for when I'm traveling and can't get a decent wifi/3-4g signal. I'm already signed up and awaiting my invitation to have it installed.

Some people spend £100 a month on cigarettes I don't smoke, some people buy a bottle of wine a day £150 a month, I drink very rarely. Some people gamble £100 a month , I don't gamble.
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 13:39   #2829
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedle View Post
I would say this is quite clearly Sky moving ahead of VM TiVo and BT Youview. They have NowTV doing very well against Netflix/Amazon.

SkyQ looks great to me, multiroom without the need for cables running everywhere. Put my recordings onto my iPad/iPhone for when I'm traveling and can't get a decent wifi/3-4g signal. I'm already signed up and awaiting my invitation to have it installed.

Some people spend £100 a month on cigarettes I don't smoke, some people buy a bottle of wine a day £150 a month, I drink very rarely. Some people gamble £100 a month , I don't gamble.
Totally agree with you mate on all points. Sky are really upping their game and are making Virgin look like dinosaurs. I might now be able to tempt the Mrs away from the Tivo box!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 13:51   #2830
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I think the devil's not going to be in the detail but in the pricing. Looks like great competition in the market which can only be a good thing.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 14:05   #2831
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

One suspects the pricing is going to be pretty sky high one imagines.
Old 22-11-2015, 14:37   #2832
tweedle
Permanently Banned

tweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the roughtweedle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
One suspects the pricing is going to be pretty sky high one imagines.
If they price it too high no one will sign up, remember the launch of Sky digital? £299 for the box and dish. A few months later is was a free box and dish as no one wanted to pay the £299. Or Virgins TiVo 500gb was £49 for the box (which you never owned) then £49 for install, then £5 a month TiVo fee. That soon changed.

Another example, the original XBOX had a crazy launch price and within months had over £100 knocked of the price as it didn't sell. Quite simply it will be priced so people will buy it.
tweedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 14:52   #2833
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Like a lot of things, I expect that it will be launched at one price which will appeal to all those who want the latest and best. It will then drop in price over time before becoming the standard Sky box. It will be interesting to see the difference in pricing for the 4K box and the reactions of BT and VM. Certainly, I think we will see a new Tivo from VM next year - the questions are when and what specifications?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 15:04   #2834
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
making Virgin look like dinosaurs.
When Tivo launched, functionality wise, it made the Sky box look like a dinosaur. Even the V+ has an extra tuner over the Sky box. If Virgin don't have a new box in development, then you are right, Sky Q will make Tivo look like a dinosaur.

But, do you really think that VM won't have a new box in development? They would be crazy not to. And it could be as simple as re-purposing the Tivo Bolt software for use on new VM hardware. As far as I can see, after a quick look, the Bolt can do exactly what the Sky Q box will do. Yes, there are fewer tuners, but Tivo have said they are doing further development on the Roamio, which they have stated is a level above the Bolt.

If VM have any sense, they will announce any future plans re hardware as soon as possible, now that Sky have announced their next gen box.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 15:08   #2835
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Horses don't win races two furlongs out that's for sure....