Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 17:46   #2851
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Thanks Stuart I have PMed him to sign up here to get help dealing with this jsut hope he does. I also pointed out that i had canceled and would leave before the month I originally joined cable BB.

For all others has anyone read this http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rnc1/080404phorm.pdf
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2008, 18:14   #2852
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post

if you cant arrange good free wireless streaming net coverage on a UK campus your not trying hard enough
Indeed..

http://support.it.soas.ac.uk/connect/wireless

As they are part of the eduroam system, anyone who is a student of, or a member of staff at a college or uni that is also part of this system, can log in.
Old 10-04-2008, 18:33   #2853
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

hmm thats odd, that http://support.it.soas.ac.uk/connect/wireless doesnt seem to be a valid web connected url.

did you access it from inside janet or something, it doesnt work on vm dns at least.
Old 10-04-2008, 18:36   #2854
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I have just been talking to a friend of mine who works for Google. I have asked him to talk to his superiors on the prospect of Google implementing an SSL version of their search pages.

This would be a great move by Google and would win them huge Kudos in the current climate not to mention it would be beneficial to them as well. By sending search requests over SSL they would be making it more difficult for their competitors (people like Phorm) to build profiles for targeted advertising.

Google could advertise it with something like "Google now offers secure searching!".

I really think it would be a great move for them.

My friend is going to talk to some of his colleagues and get back to me.

I am also going to contact Kim Cameron who wrote an article here, to field the idea of MSN search also offering SSL capability for the same reasons as Google.

I will try and find someone at Yahoo! as well.

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 18:43   #2855
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Secure search :-

https://ssl.scroogle.org/
Old 10-04-2008, 18:52   #2856
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
hmm thats odd, that http://support.it.soas.ac.uk/connect/wireless doesnt seem to be a valid web connected url.

did you access it from inside janet or something, it doesnt work on vm dns at least.
I actually got the link from the excel spreadsheet listing all the eduroam partners at http://www.ja.net/services/authentic...t-roaming.html

Seems the server is dead though..
Old 10-04-2008, 18:52   #2857
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Yes I already know about scroogle, but I would rather not go through a 3rd party.

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 18:54   #2858
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
Secure search :-

https://ssl.scroogle.org/
Excellent
Old 10-04-2008, 19:08   #2859
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca111 View Post
Yeah - i've noticed that in iii. But there are a load of positively spun News articles and results on there! Still saying they have "exclusive agreements" with Virgin Media - despite us all being told otherwise elsewhere! Starnge - someone is telling a half truth - but who????

Dunno why no movement either way tho.
Both are telling the truth IMHO. Phorm and VM have an exclusivity agreement in place in that VM will implement Phorm and has stopped evaluating competing technology. That exclusivity agreement gives VM the ability to opt out or not implement. Both can say what they are saying.
Old 10-04-2008, 19:53   #2860
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I will try and find someone at Yahoo! as well.
Recommend you contact Tom Coates, who recently posted to his blog:
Quote:
I'm deeply troubled by Phorm. This seems to be a service that could only be reasonably offered to a site owner, not an ISP...
I mean, otherwise, there's a precedent for surveillance where we just sort of have to take Phorm's word for the idea that they're not tracking personal or private stuff. It seems particularly sinister to me.
Tom is a very experienced internet fiend, terribly well connected and evidently a nice chap too.
He's based in London so might even be persuaded to make an appearance on Tuesday evening...
Old 10-04-2008, 20:07   #2861
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

emailed Tom:

Hello Tom,

I noticed on your blog that you are deeply concerned about the news in the UK with regards to Phorm.

As Yahoo's foundations are laid in the search engine industry do you feel that Phorm are a direct competitor? If so, have you thought about approaching your superiors with regards to Yahoo implementing SSL versions of their search pages?

In the current climate this would be a welcomed move by Yahoo by their users; but would serve twofold in making it more difficult for the likes of Phorm to leech off the back of your service in order to line their own pockets. If they are unable to intercept data from Yahoo search requests using Deep Packet Inspection technologies because they are sent over SSL, it makes their business model less viable and in turn helps to secure Yahoo's market share.

This would be a prime time for Yahoo to announce such a service and would, I expect, receive significant coverage in the online press.

I have contacted friends who work for Microsoft and Google who will be discussing the same idea with their superiors. If the three main search engines could take a united stance on this issue it would send a clear and resounding message to the general public that you do value privacy.

Sincerely

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 20:18   #2862
Ursine
Inactive

Ursine is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All.
First post, don't know if this has been posted already, hope it's useful

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/...-independ.html

In a new twist, the most influential voice in the identity space has now spoken out on the topic: Microsoft's identity guru Kim Cameron agrees that 'opt-out' implementations of Webwise are in breach of the Laws of Identity. This is important - Kim is shaping the principles that will drive future privacy-protecting identity systems, and if Phorm is an inappropriate third-party in the online identity relationship then they have a real problem on their hands.
It's very likely that attention will shift to BT and VirginMedia, who have both been very quiet indeed about their 'opt-out' approach to Phorm (TalkTalk are off the hook because they have taken a more privacy-friendly 'opt-in' approach). The real test will be whether those providers start to lose business over this, particularly in Croydon and Ealing, where further trials of OIX and Webwise are due soon. That will show whether the protesters are representative of the broader user community, of if this is a niche issue that most users either don't understand or don't care about. Watch this space.

Interesting bit about Croydon & Ealing
Bear
Old 10-04-2008, 20:29   #2863
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

I wonder how long it will be before Phorm "reconfigure" the hardware during an "update" so that it changes search engine results to place their advertising partners at the top. If done correctly it would be very difficult to detect and prove.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

I just sent a follow-up email to Tom:

Hello again Tom,

I should have included this in my first email but it just occurred to me. It would be possible for Phorm (using the deep packet inspection technology) to alter search results on their way back to the user in order to place their advertising partners at the top of the list. If done correctly, I can't see how it would be detectable as my understanding is most search engine results are at least pseudo random, at best it would be difficult to detect and further prove. Given the history of the Phorm executives in the Spyware industry (121media) this could represent a significant threat to search engine business models.

Regards

Alexander Hanff
Old 10-04-2008, 20:30   #2864
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I wonder how long it will be before Phorm "reconfigure" the hardware during an "update" so that it changes search engine results to place their advertising partners at the top. If done correctly it would be very difficult to detect and prove.

Alexander Hanff
@Alexander

How could you suggest such a thing?

We all know how ethical Kent's company is... they would never stoop so low.
Old 10-04-2008, 20:41   #2865
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt88man View Post
@Alexander

How could you suggest such a thing?

We all know how ethical Kent's company is... they would never stoop so low.
All it would take is a little bit of regex.

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread