Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 15:43   #481
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I Don't think so and anyway that would not make money for them so they would not bother checking. ...
Well the technology is available (somebody posted about a patent), so presumably law-enforcement agencies could use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowrebmit View Post
Individuals, in trusted positions of authority, such as the Catholic church, have been abusing children a long time before the internet even existed.....
Yes - and what are we doing about it? Why not use technology to try and stop some of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
It's strange this - many people aren't agreeing with this and have posted to say so but those who have voted 'No' are not saying why they have voted 'No', ...
I voted "No". If this technology can help to catch paedophiles, I'm all for it. Letting Phorm know about my browsing habits seems a very small price to pay.
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2008, 15:49   #482
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
I voted "No". If this technology can help to catch paedophiles, I'm all for it. Letting Phorm know about my browsing habits seems a very small price to pay.

So you dont mind someone being able to look at your bank details, emails etc... I am.. Why should innocent people have there details looked at??
Old 04-03-2008, 16:01   #483
hOrZa
Inactive

hOrZa is an unknown quantity at this point

I've spoke to customer relations, customer service and cancellations and none of them had heard anything at there end just from people ringing in
Old 04-03-2008, 16:16   #484
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Just had a email back from BE Unlimited .

Dear ++++++++++++

Thank you for contacting us. I would like to inform you that we are not intending to sign up with Phorm. Also in order to have our service you should have a working BT phone line.

If you have any further questions feel free to contact at 0808 234 8566.

Well Done BE Unlimited, Looks like they will be getting a new customer.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 04-03-2008, 16:16   #485
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
I just called up CS.. And she didn't know anything about it.. and said if this was going to happen they would be briefed...

Has anyone called hem up and heard different??
Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss View Post
They'll probably play dumb until it's actually in use.
Customer service are unlikely to be told anything about this until Virgin have decided when and how they will implement it.
Old 04-03-2008, 16:24   #486
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Good for you, very noble.

However, I'm not so noble, and so seems over 95% of voters in this poll, so we say stuff Phorm and stuff the ISP that lays in bed with them!!!

I'm all for catching pedo's, but not at the expense of everyones privacy. You say a very small price, I'd say down right extortionate!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 16:26   #487
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hOrZa View Post
I've spoke to customer relations, customer service and cancellations and none of them had heard anything at there end just from people ringing in
I can concur with this. Either VM staff have been instructed to deny all knowledge regarding this issue, or all of the various VM services, I.e retentions, customer service, Etc (I've spoken to) genuinely have no idea what's going on - which (from dialogue feedback - I feel) could actually the case.

One thing though, everyone I've contacted have seen and are now aware of this forum

Interesting!

Si thee
Old 04-03-2008, 16:35   #488
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Such Technology already exists - how do you think they have busted previous paedophile internet rings?

Anyway - such a job should be up to law enforcements not third party market analysts pushing relevant ads our way.

Do you honestly think Phorm will get dragged into legal affairs? It will just go to show their 'privacy' statement is flawed and that they can identify data to its owners, something which they are denying cannot happen.

But well done you just wasted a vote if you thought it help to catch paedophiles.
Old 04-03-2008, 16:46   #489
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymaniac View Post
Oh Yes. Absolutely. Even though they say they don't, doesn't physically stop from doing it. I mean, lets say they can be called "monitors". So I ask everyone this...

Who monitors the monitors?
EY apparently.
Old 04-03-2008, 16:48   #490
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Who monitors EY?
Old 04-03-2008, 16:50   #491
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Old 04-03-2008, 17:07   #492
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Don't forget the terrorists too and the witches who refuse to drown .

This has nothing to do with law enforcement or illegal activity, its all down to VM and Phorm trying to make money out of your privacy or lack of it.

If you want to consider the children, imagine a scenario where a child visits the NSPCC site looking for help, then the next day the abusing relative gets embedded adverts relating to child protection charities tipping that relative off.
Old 04-03-2008, 17:20   #493
crazymaniac
Inactive

Services: VM Cable TV, Phone and 2MB Broadband
crazymaniac is on a distinguished roadcrazymaniac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Who monitors EY?
LOL, exactly!

The viscous circle continues!
Old 04-03-2008, 17:48   #494
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymaniac View Post
LOL, exactly!

The viscous circle continues!
The plot thickens........
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-03-2008, 17:50   #495
red502
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb Phone, TV L
red502 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. What I wouldn't give to have the old blueyonder back
Closed Thread