Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recordings deleting?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Recordings deleting?

Old 17-03-2018, 16:59   #16
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Recordings deleting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackenbacker View Post
I've had a V6 for a little over a month now, and series link has let me down a few times.

Partly, there is a problem with how some series are collated - for example, it seems to think the Channel 5's Formula E broadcasts are part of the same series as Eurosport's. And as Channel 5 broadcast it over 5 and 5Spike, and Eurosport potentially over both channels, there is no way to set it to record from one broadcaster or the other properly, so you potentially miss broadcasts, or end up with two recordings at the same time (wasting tuners and space).

The more common problem isn't really one of the series link though - but of the EPG not updating. On one hand, the V6 waits far too long between checking for EPG updates (four hours seems like a reasonable window, but when you have late changes to the schedule it's not), although even manually forcing an update, it's often the case that Virgin's EPG hasn't been updated for a schedule change. So the V6 *thinks* that it has recorded an episode, when in fact it hasn't - and unless you know that, and manually set a recording for when the episode is actually shown, you miss it. On every other system, this isn't a problem - you might still get the initial recording, but when the episode is shown properly at a later date, it will get recorded.

Sometimes the V6 tries to be a bit too smart for it's own good, and they don't seem to have a mechanism to tell it that it was wrong.
As I understand it the epg is written to by a third party and sometimes the data input is incorrect causing the issues you have raised.

Sadly the V6 and the older TiVo do not have a dynamic epg similar to freeview. For me it is the only omission that has always bothered me.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2018, 17:08   #17
hackenbacker
Inactive

hackenbacker is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
As I understand it the epg is written to by a third party and sometimes the data input is incorrect causing the issues you have raised.

Sadly the V6 and the older TiVo do not have a dynamic epg similar to freeview. For me it is the only omission that has always bothered me.

Note that only really addresses the cross-contamination of Channel 5 / Eurosport "series" in the case of this one sports event.

Otherwise, the EPG is basically correct, apart from when there are late changes (and frankly, these have been happening too often recently. That's a slightly different complaint!)

In many cases, even that wouldn't matter if they could just tell the box - no, you didn't record S1 E3 like you thought you had, so please make sure you record the next showing. Because it doesn't, we have to know that, and be able to make a manual intervention.

I do wish the EPG would update more regularly though. It's a pity, because otherwise the EPG is mostly a LOT better than other systems - being able to determine "new" shows / having dates for previous broadcasts in the EPG is incredibly useful.
hackenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote