Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 17-10-2022, 12:38   #1546
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Not sure how this will affect those that came out of a fix tariff deal due to the Gov's energy promise. I bet they must be fuming and rightly so.
I did, and while immediately was miffed when I thought it through my bills are less than 2/3 of the fix until April. I’ll pay higher rates April to August when my fix would have ended anyway however usage will be significantly lower. I’d probably still be better off than sticking with the fix.

24 month fixes might be a bit different.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2022, 19:41   #1547
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Energy support scheme cut back today by Jeremy Hunt. The price guarantee for households will only be for the vulnerable after April 2023.
In the present economic disaster, most of us are "vulnerable".

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 21:33   #1548
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
In the present economic disaster, most of us are "vulnerable".
Screwed more like
Old 17-10-2022, 21:59   #1549
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I think 6 months makes more sense. It gets you past the winter and then you can reassess the situation in the spring when things are warmer.

Hopefully, it gives the government time to devise a more targeted scheme as well. I like the idea of the taper which means the subsidy gets lower the more energy you use apart from people that have special requirements, i.e machines to manage a disability, which should IMO be supported entirely by the government anyway.

They should also do the windfall tax on producers, makes the policy much cheaper.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 13:50   #1550
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Just for information/discussion

Our Energy bill for late September/October last year was £107, using 441Kwh of Electricity and 772Kwh of Gas (£82 for Electricity, £25 for Gas)

The bill for the same period (just received) this year is £190, using 382Kwh of Electricity and 453Kwh of Gas (£137 for Electricity, £53 for Gas)

So, we used 13% less Electricity and 41% less Gas, but paid 77% more…

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 06BA177C-FEC9-4050-93F9-6B766A774C7D.jpeg (19.5 KB, 85 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 13:58   #1551
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Sitting around in a big jumper and long johns sure costs a lot these days
Old 28-10-2022, 16:58   #1552
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

After 4 weeks' silence, Scottish Power has increased my DD from £152pm to £250.

My account does not show that I gave a meter reading at the end of last month, nor does it tell me the rates they are charging now.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 22:57   #1553
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The bill for the same period (just received) this year is £190, using 382Kwh of Electricity and 453Kwh of Gas (£137 for Electricity, £53 for Gas)
Crikey, do you live in a hut ?
My electricity and gas use is higher than that.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 23:08   #1554
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Before this crisis, i wouldn’t see any change from £5K a year. For my Gas+Elec.
Old 28-10-2022, 23:21   #1555
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Four Bedroom Detached.

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Ours was normally about £1500 for the year (gas & electricity)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 28-10-2022 at 23:58.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2022, 23:27   #1556
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Why so high, are you running dozens of bitcoin miners or growing......stuff?
Old 28-10-2022, 23:40   #1557
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Why so high, are you running dozens of bitcoin miners or growing......stuff?
Before the rises 6 plants under 1600watts cost £250 a crop now you are looking at £750 to £1000 but would still clear 7K so I am told haha
Old 29-10-2022, 09:52   #1558
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Hopefully this will help the Bub customers who have been worried by the uncertainty of being without a stable supplier.
Quote:
UK government approves agreement between Bulb and Octopus Energy, providing certainty to 1.5 million customers
Quote:
snippet Bulb customers will not experience any change or disruption to their energy supplies as part of this transfer. There is no change to either Bulb or Octopus customers’ supply arrangements, and credit balances are protected. This means customers do not need to take any action and all direct debits will automatically be transferred.
and ...
Quote:
Octopus will continue to use Bulb’s technology and brand for a transitionary period so that there is a smooth transfer for Bulb’s customers. In addition, customers will continue to benefit from Ofgem’s supply licence protections, such as ensuring energy suppliers provide advice for vulnerable customers through existing financial support schemes.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...lion-customers
Old 29-10-2022, 10:03   #1559
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Hopefully this will help the Bub customers who have been worried by the uncertainty of being without a stable supplier.

and ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/u...lion-customers
I'm a very happy Bulb customer with how it operates so I hope Octopus is the same.
Old 29-10-2022, 10:18   #1560
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I'm a very happy Bulb customer with how it operates so I hope Octopus is the same.
I have been with Octopus for several years and have been very satisfied by the way they operate. I even gave in and had them install the dreaded smart meters, the website details they display have been a great help in my efforts to bring down our useage over the last few months.

The smart meters themselves have been hidden away by John since I became errrrrr 'mildly' obsessed working out energy/appliance useage figures. The spreadsheet I created was impressive though.