Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 2.4 says no internet connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

2.4 says no internet connection

Old 02-09-2020, 11:51   #1
Reddwarf4ever
cf.member

Reddwarf4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
2.4 says no internet connection

I have a 3.0 hub, it often connects to 2.4 But says “no internet connection” The 5.0 connects perfectly every time.

This same issue happened with my previous 3.0 hub, which I had replaced with a new one, but have the same issue.....using 2 iPhones and 2 iPads
Reddwarf4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2020, 12:27   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: 2.4 says no internet connection

Sounds like you need to disable smart wifi. Smart wifi disables data on 2.4ghz to try and force the device to use 5ghz
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 13:15   #3
Reddwarf4ever
cf.member

Hadn’t thought of that, but found an idea elsewhere to hold the reset button for 60 seconds, longer than Virgin suggest and seems to have worked 2.4 and 5.0 perfect....fingers crossed it stays.....may help others with the same problem
Old 12-09-2020, 23:54   #4
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

interesting, i might have to try that on my shub4, which is downstiars in lounge where shub2 used to be.

I was on shub2 until recently, it was fine, but i had a phonecall asking if i wanted a 4, so i thought i may as well.

a couple of our laptops have been hit and miss about connecting to the wifi.

only today it occured to me, my mobile, the missus' mobile and my work latop upstairs never have a problem (upstairs laptop used to lose connection now and again with shub 2).

i had one of the other laptops, which is a few years old 2m away from the shub4 and it lost internet mid use! so i connected to shub4 and saw that the older laptops are on 2.4, the phones and work laptop 5
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 00:06   #5
Reddwarf4ever
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
interesting, i might have to try that on my shub4, which is downstiars in lounge where shub2 used to be.

I was on shub2 until recently, it was fine, but i had a phonecall asking if i wanted a 4, so i thought i may as well.

a couple of our laptops have been hit and miss about connecting to the wifi.

only today it occured to me, my mobile, the missus' mobile and my work latop upstairs never have a problem (upstairs laptop used to lose connection now and again with shub 2).

i had one of the other laptops, which is a few years old 2m away from the shub4 and it lost internet mid use! so i connected to shub4 and saw that the older laptops are on 2.4, the phones and work laptop 5

🤞 it works, mine still,perfect, even starts up quicker in the morning, as I turn it off over night....😎
Old 13-09-2020, 11:52   #6
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

posted on the vm forums, you can set it to broadcast 2 IDs, like the superhub2 did, so someone suggested:

Quote:
Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Channel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Channel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’
so, i can attach the old laptops to network2 and newer devices to networkid5 like they used to be

stops it trying to be too clever I can see the logic of simplifying it, but i guess it doesn't work too well in cases like mine and yours.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 14:10   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
posted on the vm forums, you can set it to broadcast 2 IDs, like the superhub2 did, so someone suggested:

so, i can attach the old laptops to network2 and newer devices to networkid5 like they used to be

stops it trying to be too clever I can see the logic of simplifying it, but i guess it doesn't work too well in cases like mine and yours.
The first thing i did years ago was change the naming of everything to make it easy to select which network for each device, i thought this was simple and a no brainer?