Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gig1 service

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Gig1 service

Old 04-09-2020, 12:50   #16
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Gig1 service

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmudos View Post
Thanks again Roughbeast
Let us know how it goes, e.g. the downstream you get and how consistent.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2020, 09:26   #17
gmudos
cf.member

Services: V6, Gig1
gmudos is on a distinguished roadgmudos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Let us know how it goes, e.g. the downstream you get and how consistent.
Sure, will do.
gmudos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:05   #18
gmudos
cf.member

So, a little underwhelmed at the download speeds i'm getting. Hub4 in modem mode and getting 264mbps max. Upload seems good at 52.87mpbs.

I'm hoping it improves as the results indicate i'm getting less than I was on the 500mb package.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:28   #19
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I'd suggest running the Samknows test at www.samknows.com/realspeed when the Hub 4 is in router mode.

That will tell you what speed you're getting to the Hub itself rather than in between a internal network device and the Speedtest.
Old 07-09-2020, 13:40   #20
gmudos
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I'd suggest running the Samknows test at www.samknows.com/realspeed when the Hub 4 is in router mode.

That will tell you what speed you're getting to the Hub itself rather than in between a internal network device and the Speedtest.
Ok, I'll give this a try this afternoon. Thanks

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

Great. That certainly seems to have done the trick and now getting upwards of 650mbps on download. This is with my desktop machine plugged directly into the Hub4.

Now need to try and figure out why I'm not getting similar speeds when connected via a gigabit switch from my own r8000 router.

Edit - just ran the speedtest again from your link and it's maxing at 1084mpbs on download and 680mbps on upload!

Thanks again!

Last edited by gmudos; 07-09-2020 at 13:43.
Old 07-09-2020, 20:05   #21
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

680mbps on Upload?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 21:19   #22
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Ok, I'll give this a try this afternoon. Thanks

---------- Post added at 13:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Great. That certainly seems to have done the trick and now getting upwards of 650mbps on download. This is with my desktop machine plugged directly into the Hub4.

Now need to try and figure out why I'm not getting similar speeds when connected via a gigabit switch from my own r8000 router.

Edit - just ran the speedtest again from your link and it's maxing at 1084mpbs on download and 680mbps on upload!

Thanks again!
You can't get 680Mbs on upstream. 53Mb is the very best you can get.

On Samknows you can get something like 1.17Gb downstream although 1.2Gb is technically possible.
With Hub4 in modem mode, your R8000 should get significantly over 900Mb, although I don't know exactly what its WAN to LAN throughput maxes at. Things that may stop you getting >900Mb include a faulty ethernet cable or a faulty switch or something else in the house using bandwidth. Another possibility is that you have QoS enabled in the R8000. This is of no benefit on a 1GB connection. It may peg back the maximum down speed on certain devices to as low as 400Mb.

Other possibilities include the processor capacity of your PC. Speed tests are processor hungry. A slow processor can result in an unstable test with wildly varying results. You can check this if you watch your processor usage during a speed test. If it goes up to 95% usage your speed test result might be affected.

Others here may think I am barking up the wrong tree and may have other suggestions.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:30   #23
gmudos
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
You can't get 680Mbs on upstream. 53Mb is the very best you can get.

On Samknows you can get something like 1.17Gb downstream although 1.2Gb is technically possible.
With Hub4 in modem mode, your R8000 should get significantly over 900Mb, although I don't know exactly what its WAN to LAN throughput maxes at. Things that may stop you getting >900Mb include a faulty ethernet cable or a faulty switch or something else in the house using bandwidth. Another possibility is that you have QoS enabled in the R8000. This is of no benefit on a 1GB connection. It may peg back the maximum down speed on certain devices to as low as 400Mb.

Other possibilities include the processor capacity of your PC. Speed tests are processor hungry. A slow processor can result in an unstable test with wildly varying results. You can check this if you watch your processor usage during a speed test. If it goes up to 95% usage your speed test result might be affected.

Others here may think I am barking up the wrong tree and may have other suggestions.
Yeah, sorry I was getting away.

Speed to Virgin Media Hub 4 was 1072mbps
Speed to computer was 599mbps

Upload is 52mbps

I'll have a check over everything. Cheers
Old 08-09-2020, 12:38   #24
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yeah, sorry I was getting away.

Speed to Virgin Media Hub 4 was 1072mbps
Speed to computer was 599mbps

Upload is 52mbps

I'll have a check over everything. Cheers
Yes, you have roughly a 340Mb shortfall there. Check some of my suggestions. Given that the R7000 had a WAN - LAN throughput of 931Mb . The R7800 managed 941Mb. Surely the R8000 has similar or better. I think we can discount your router as being the problem over wired connection. Good luck checking out the other options.

If you have an intervening switch between your router and PC, can you take that out of the system, just to see what difference it makes? Are the ends of your Ethernet cables properly secure? One of my long Ethernet cables, one that runs to the attic, developed a fault so was only providing about 500Mb to upstairs devices. Sometimes it only showed as a 100Mb connection on the router network data page. My mate, a network expert and installer, tested and fixed it for me by replacing the end connectors.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:45   #25
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Throughput for consumer routers does vary with firmware and is also heavily dependant on what features you have on, if you want 1gb you probably need to turn off QoS, IDS/IPS, DPI, etc.

If you want something to do well over 1Gbps, you need something like the Ubiquiti UDM-Pro which can do 3.5Gbps (has SFP+ 10G WAN and LAN) with all the bells and whistles turned on, or 8Gbps with just DPI turned on.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:51   #26
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Throughput for consumer routers does vary with firmware and is also heavily dependant on what features you have on, if you want 1gb you probably need to turn off QoS, IDS/IPS, DPI, etc.

If you want something to do well over 1Gbps, you need something like the Ubiquiti UDM-Pro which can do 3.5Gbps (has SFP+ 10G WAN and LAN) with all the bells and whistles turned on, or 8Gbps with just DPI turned on.
Just remember that the hub4 only has gigabit ethernet, so at least for today there's no way of using another router at > ~950MBps.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:02   #27
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Yeah, I realise that, the Hub4.0 is an idiotic decision by VM, every other SH has been used across various speed tiers during it's service life, the Hub4.0 can't even keep up with the provisioning of the launch service, let alone whatever we see in future.

Eventually VM will need to wake up and replace it with something with either multigig copper ports or an SFP+ cage.

There are better DOCSIS modem options about, if only VM allowed 3rd party modems.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:14   #28
Kushan

I think it's a classic example of VM being cheap. Plus it's only an issue if you don't use modem mode. Most of VM's customers just use the hub in hub mode.

Of course, I'd argue that the kinds of people taking the gig1 service are the kinds of people more likely to use their own router as well.

In my cynical mind, DOCSIS3.1 is less about providing faster speeds to the prosumer and more about Virgin being able to squeeze more out of their network. It's expensive to roll out, but once done and everyone's on it, they'll have a lot more bandwidth to play with. Most of VM's customers are on the lower tiers, they don't care so much about fast speeds, just ample rool in the pipes.

Virgin will eventually be pushing the Hub4 out to every single person, the cost over millions of customers probably offsets the cost of having to introduce a hub5 down the line for those afformentioned "prosumers".
Old 10-09-2020, 12:15   #29
rtho782
cf.addict

Even if I used the Hub4 in Hub mode, I still wouldn't use more than 1Gbps as most of my usage would be from a single device at a time, be it Steam on my main PC or whatever is downloading on my unraid server. I guess for some, there will be multiple devices connected over separate ethernet ports without a switch inbetween each using a load of bandwidth but I'd bet that's pretty uncommon at home.

I do agree they are being cheap, but they didn't have to do an NbaseT port, an SFP+ cage would have been very cheap to have and would allow people the option of NbaseT or MMF/SMF/DAC etc.

I'm not actually sure any of the OEMs make a modem with 10GbE yet though to be honest, so it might not be VM's fault. Perhaps VM Business will come out with something better, or maybe it will be a wait for SH5.0 thing.

Honestly, the sooner Cityfibre finish digging up my town the better!
Old 10-09-2020, 13:03   #30
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I think it's a classic example of VM being cheap. Plus it's only an issue if you don't use modem mode. Most of VM's customers just use the hub in hub mode.
At the time LG sourced the Hub 4 hardware from Arris, there will have been limited options available for DOCSIS 3.1 kit. The same Hub is installed in all LG D3.1 deployments, it's not unique hardware to Virgin Media even if the black version is.

Arris have only recently introduced Wi-Fi 6 and 2.5Gig Ethernet hardware to their gateways as far as I know.

Last edited by BenMcr; 10-09-2020 at 13:11.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote