Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New DSLReports speedtester

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New DSLReports speedtester

Old 03-04-2015, 17:32   #1
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
New DSLReports speedtester

Just FYI.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

It's tweakable too which is cool.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2015, 22:17   #2
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: New DSLReports speedtester

The upstream test always timed out for me on my VM circuit.

EDIT: Download showed my 154 meg.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 22:19   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Seemed limited to 100Mb on my download but upload worked OK
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 16:07   #4
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

That's a really nice test! I really like that one, much better than Speedtest.net. My only complaint is they don't have a nice simple image to share, best you get is this:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/234317

Edit: Just to put this out there, testmy.net is decent as well, though it never ever shows me hitting my top speeds so I'm not sure if it's less reliable or just harsher about real world speeds:

Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 16:17   #5
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Seemed limited to 100Mb on my download but upload worked OK
Now showing full speed

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/234358
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 20:40   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/235764

Seems OK. Not sure what the "Your link: Idle/Full" meter is supposed to mean, keeps flipping between 0, 4, and 100.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 21:01   #7
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/235764

Seems OK. Not sure what the "Your link: Idle/Full" meter is supposed to mean, keeps flipping between 0, 4, and 100.
I think it tries to calculate the line capacity based on highest transfer rate reached then tell you if you're hitting it or not.

It's in beta so I fully imagine it's buggy right now.
Old 22-04-2015, 16:16   #8
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/341298 - I'm sure speed-testers love me skewing their results.

That was Plusnet FTTC balanced with VM 152.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 12:02   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I think it tries to calculate the line capacity based on highest transfer rate reached then tell you if you're hitting it or not.

It's in beta so I fully imagine it's buggy right now.
Looks like that dial has been changed to (or replaced by) a "Buffer bloat" dial. The buffer-bloat dial shows any increase in your latency during the test beyond idle latency, which I suspect was also used for the "line capacity" indicator.

Very good metric to display IMO, I wish more speedtest sites and diagnostics would use it - it's a very basic tool yet very important tool that most consumer sites seem to miss completely. It's practically the first check I do to determine if a link is saturated or not.
Old 27-04-2015, 19:43   #10
Ignitionnet
Inactive

The log is also very good, and I note it uses a few different servers depending on the number of streams in use.

Quote:
0.1s start test for Fiber
0.38s 4 locations to query
6.48s Google Europe is ~25ms
6.48s Dublin, Ireland, EU is ~32ms
6.48s Frankfurt, DE, EU is ~38ms
6.48s DE, EU is ~39ms
8.48s Starting download phase
8.5s doing 32 gets
16.93s stream0 mbits=1.87 DE, EU 1sec=1.7 20%
16.93s stream1 mbits=2.37 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=1.43 1%
16.93s stream2 mbits=2.13 Dublin, Ireland, EU 1sec=2.81 1%
16.93s stream3 mbits=2.42 Google Europe 1sec=2.27 1%
16.93s stream4 mbits=1.49 DE, EU 1sec=1.59 1%
16.93s stream5 mbits=0.83 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=0.81 0%
16.93s stream6 mbits=1.89 Dublin, Ireland, EU 1sec=1.38 1%
16.93s stream7 mbits=0.75 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=1.06 0%
16.93s stream8 mbits=1.77 Google Europe 1sec=2.45 1%
16.93s stream9 mbits=2.22 Dublin, Ireland, EU 1sec=1.75 1%
16.93s stream10 mbits=1.32 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=1.98 1%
16.93s stream11 mbits=1.49 DE, EU 1sec=1.98 1%
16.93s stream12 mbits=3.13 Google Europe 1sec=4.54 1%
16.93s stream13 mbits=1.3 DE, EU 1sec=2.37 1%
16.93s stream14 mbits=2.92 Dublin, Ireland, EU 1sec=2 1%
16.93s stream15 mbits=2.04 Dublin, Ireland, EU 1sec=2.93 1%
16.93s stream16 mbits=1.6 DE, EU 1sec=3.5 1%
16.93s stream17 mbits=2.92 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=2.65 1%
16.93s stream18 mbits=1.35 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=1.24 1%
16.93s stream19 mbits=1.3 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=1.75 1%
16.93s stream20 mbits=2.19 Dublin, Ireland, EU 1sec=2.33 1%
16.93s stream21 mbits=2.46 Google Europe 1sec=1.54 1%
16.93s stream22 mbits=1.15 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=0.81 0%
16.93s stream23 mbits=1.98 DE, EU 1sec=0.78 1%
16.93s stream24 mbits=1.75 DE, EU 1sec=3.64 1%
16.93s stream25 mbits=1.62 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=2.28 1%
16.93s stream26 mbits=2.25 Google Europe 1sec=1.54 1%
16.93s stream27 mbits=1.52 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=1.73 1%
16.93s stream28 mbits=1.59 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=1.38 1%
16.93s stream29 mbits=1.92 Frankfurt, DE, EU 1sec=1.98 1%
16.93s stream30 mbits=1.78 DE, EU 1sec=1.64 1%
16.93s stream31 mbits=2.09 DE, EU 1sec=1.2 1%
22.24s Starting upload phase
38.03s stream0 (DE, EU) mbits=2.26
38.03s stream1 (Frankfurt, DE, EU) mbits=2.8
38.03s stream2 (Dublin, Ireland, EU) mbits=1.89
38.03s stream3 (Google Europe) mbits=1.64
38.03s stream4 (DE, EU) mbits=2.7
38.03s stream5 (Frankfurt, DE, EU) mbits=2.22
38.03s stream6 (Dublin, Ireland, EU) mbits=1.75
38.03s stream7 (Frankfurt, DE, EU) mbits=3.05
45.22s 6s past peak 18.41 not getting faster
45.22s END TEST
45.22s 10hz drop stats frames=8 total ms=2755
49.33s Total megabytes consumed: 128.4 (down:82.5 up:45.9)

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
That's a really nice test! I really like that one, much better than Speedtest.net. My only complaint is they don't have a nice simple image to share, best you get is this:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/234317
They do now!

Old 27-04-2015, 19:52   #11
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Ohhh snazzy!

Old 27-04-2015, 20:51   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Looks like the upload test isn't working anymore for me

Also it seems to use 32 streams on the download nomatter what, but the upload varies between 1 on my home connection and 24 on the above connection which oddly failed.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:45 ----------

Eh, looks like it was just Chrome on that machine, it works using IE:

Interestingly, the bufferbloat measurement doesn't show up in IE but does in Chrome, but either way I'm impressed it works seemingly without flash, java, or any other junk. The ping measurement is also way off in IE.

Currently a complete lack of UK locations though sadly. Looks like they use a combination of servers from Google, Amazon AWS, and NFOservers.com
Old 27-04-2015, 21:04   #13
Kushan

I think the download/upload streams are determined by which you pick - cable is 24/8.
Old 27-04-2015, 21:52   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Must be more to it than that, I picked "fibre" on every machine and it used 1 upstream on one machine and 24 upstreams on another.
Old 27-04-2015, 22:35   #15
Ignitionnet
Inactive

I think it does a quick test with a small amount of data and from there decides on a number of streams.