Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 08-06-2020, 18:15   #9781
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I understand the principle, cheeky, but if anyone wants to view content with minority appeal, they should jolly well pay extra for it.
I don't disagree in principle with what you say there OLD BOY, but I fear it won't work out in practice for many interests. One of my points is that minority content may not be viable to produce and therefore not exist at all, if, or mostly likely when, the present predominant funding models change.

An all access season pass for badminton (for example) at £7 a month may not get enough subscribers to continue. They may need it to be £7 to cover costs with the potential interested user numbers, but not enough of those may be willing to pay it, so it may need to be increased £15 with that number of willing subscribers, and then even less would be willing to pay it at that level, and so the end result is no badminton shown to anyone at all.

A similar model for tennis may work, simply because it's more popular and will cover costs, though not football level popular.

And tiddlywinks, well that's simply not got a chance as an individual subscription.

But they might all be viable on a multi-sport or multi-genre service, simply because it brings the economy of scale to make them all viable.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 08-06-2020 at 19:49. Reason: Adding a missing word.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2020, 18:28   #9782
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
I don't disagree in principle with what you say there OLD BOY, but I fear it won't work out in practice for many interests. One my points is that minority content may not be viable to produce and therefore not exist at all, if, or mostly likely when, the present predominant funding models change.

An all access season pass for badminton (for example) at £7 a month may not get enough subscribers to continue. They may need it to be £7 to cover costs with the potential interested user numbers, but not enough of those may be willing to pay it, so it may need to be increased £15 with that number of willing subscribers, and then even less would be willing to pay it at that level, and so the end result is no badminton shown to anyone at all.

A similar model for tennis may work, simply because it's more popular and will cover costs, though not football level popular.

And tiddlywinks, well that's simply not got a chance as an individual subscription.

But they might all be viable on a multi-sport or multi-genre service, simply because it brings the economy of scale to make them all viable.
I suspect Old Boy is simply trying to undermine the strength of traditional operators because they aren’t dying off for his streaming future.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 00:36   #9783
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

My loyalty bonuses have fall off and i can't seem to email anyone to get a good phone call anymore from retentions (or whoever it was) since the change of executive away from the other guy and since virgin media have a limited staff on the phones im getting no joy getting through....

But to my question...any good virgin media offers on premier sports since its the first weekend back for la liga. think the monthly cost is 8 quid? since ive lost my loyalty discounts cant be arsed paying even more than the 100+ for everything im currently on. Any news on discounts for premier sports or in general? Emailing the chief exectutive and then getting a phone call direct used to be so useful.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:36   #9784
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

Hi Vince,
If phoning you should call at 8am to avoid call queues. I actually called around 4pm and the call was answered in 8 minutes. The guy on retentions was great to chat with, plus I received a discount of £30 on my current package.

You could try the text messaging service. Just send a text with a description of what you would like (regrade) to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days.

Unfortunately there are no offers on Premier Sports, but any discount on your normal price should offset that cost.
newapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 16:00   #9785
scollie
cf.member

scollie is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you get through to retentions nowadays?
There was a sequence of numbers to follow when dialing but I can't remember them and I believe this method may have changed.
scollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 16:41   #9786
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollie View Post
How do you get through to retentions nowadays?
There was a sequence of numbers to follow when dialing but I can't remember them and I believe this method may have changed.
0345-454-1111......I got through in a couple of minutes, spoke to a lass in Tyneside, got a good deal too as my contract was up in early July, she was rally good to deal with.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:29   #9787
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post
Hi Vince,
If phoning you should call at 8am to avoid call queues. I actually called around 4pm and the call was answered in 8 minutes. The guy on retentions was great to chat with, plus I received a discount of £30 on my current package.

You could try the text messaging service. Just send a text with a description of what you would like (regrade) to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days.

Unfortunately there are no offers on Premier Sports, but any discount on your normal price should offset that cost.
Cheers pal. gave them a text. ill see what happens. i hate being on the phone as i worked in a call centre for 7 years...its like PTSD
Old 12-06-2020, 12:35   #9788
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Cheers pal. gave them a text. ill see what happens. i hate being on the phone as i worked in a call centre for 7 years...its like PTSD
I know that feeling well, having worked in call centres for 2 different companies for 12 years. I do feel sorry for the call handlers, especially with the volume of calls, righting wrongs from overseas.

Listening and empathy were a must, sadly seems to be lacking nowadays.

I was often in trouble for not sticking to the script. I used to put myself in the callers shoes, think outside the box, and always tried to make it a one call solution. It was impossible to keep to time allowed on individual calls, sometimes the time "allowed" was taken just passing DPA.

I enjoyed being pulled of the calls, answering emails instead, however those times were few and far between as that "bonus" was due to availabilty.
I still hate being on the phone myself, even to family and friends.
newapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2020, 23:28   #9789
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post
I know that feeling well, having worked in call centres for 2 different companies for 12 years. I do feel sorry for the call handlers, especially with the volume of calls, righting wrongs from overseas.

Listening and empathy were a must, sadly seems to be lacking nowadays.

I was often in trouble for not sticking to the script. I used to put myself in the callers shoes, think outside the box, and always tried to make it a one call solution. It was impossible to keep to time allowed on individual calls, sometimes the time "allowed" was taken just passing DPA.

I enjoyed being pulled of the calls, answering emails instead, however those times were few and far between as that "bonus" was due to availabilty.
I still hate being on the phone myself, even to family and friends.
When i joined my call centre job i was trained on two different lines so had double the training....they completely stopped doing that with the next tranche of staff they hired. Had many angry callers at times who had been waiting over an hour to get through etc... we hired a few more staff a few years later on temporary contracts and i spent many months training them up only for those new members of staff to be given full time contracts and put on paperwork/emails etc which was a very cushy number! the reason why i wasnt allowed to escape the phone calls after so long? i was too experienced...so the people who'd been there less, still needed to be fully trained up got the better job...

I looked for a new job fairly quickly then!

To make my post "on topic" have to say i'm embrassed with the picture quality of the La Liga channel. For someone who watches a lot of football it seems we wont miss out on euro 2020 this year and the 3 or 4 games a day lifestyle since the calendar for the next 6 weeks looks even more jammed than ever!
Old 16-06-2020, 15:18   #9790
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Sky wins sports rights rebate after coronavirus hit.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...eid=3598503789
Old 16-06-2020, 20:49   #9791
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/06/skys...x-pre.html?m=1

Hope it come to vm
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 20:55   #9792
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysoj1 View Post
l somehow doubt it for the moment.
Old 17-06-2020, 09:08   #9793
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysoj1 View Post
If you mean Pick HD, it will be on channel 165.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 23:41   #9794
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Will it? There’s been nothing regarding the HD version launching on Virgin. Article is more likely to be a typo.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2020, 23:59   #9795
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Will it? There’s been nothing regarding the HD version launching on Virgin. Article is more likely to be a typo.
They switched the stream to a HD one just after midnight on 17th.
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...&postcount=812
I checked DigitalBitRate later that morning and it shows the old stream closed and a new stream with 1920x1080 resolution...i.e. HD.
https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...&sec=0&lang=en

The EPG channel name doesn't mention HD on any platform, so there has been speculation it's temporary for the duration of the live football.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote