Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 01-07-2013, 13:42   #2401
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
So BT sports channel is such a big thing because it got the premier league football games or something like that?

BT obviously have their own sports channel but not some of the sky channels. Sky have BT sports as well as their own channels. Virgin have the Sky channels but not BT sports. Have I got that right?

Apart from the cost (don't know the price differences) it would seem Sky is the best choice as it has the full monty off sports channels.

Just trying to get the full picture. Still don't quite understand why BT sports is so important to some.
yes BT sport is big because of the premier league football it now got

and yes at moment VM got all sky sports channels 2 of them in HD and no bt yet but it should come

yes sky is best for sport as got all sports HD channels hopefully they let VM have the rest sometime but don't expect that

BTsport is important to lots because of the football and rugby but mainly football
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 13:45   #2402
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
yes BT sport is big because of the premier league football it now got

and yes at moment VM got all sky sports channels 2 of them in HD and no bt yet but it should come
Cheers. Think the confusion with friends was them saying the BT sports channel was the best one for them and I assumed they meant the whole BT tv package.

Still shocked that the HD channels are held for ransom separately!
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 14:24   #2403
Jameseh

Quote:
Still shocked that the HD channels are held for ransom separately!
Both Sky and BT want to wrangle every last penny out of you they can.
Old 01-07-2013, 20:04   #2404
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Virgin have the Sky channels but not BT sports. Have I got that right?
Not quite right. We have not yet been told the basis on which we will get BT Sports. It is most likely we will get them, but at full price, although VM may decide to subsidise it given that they will be saving on the deal they did with ESPN.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:49   #2405
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Not quite right. We have not yet been told the basis on which we will get BT Sports. It is most likely we will get them, but at full price, although VM may decide to subsidise it given that they will be saving on the deal they did with ESPN.
I think Virgin may have already reinvested the money from the ESPN savings. Over the past 6 months Virgin have added 21 new channels to the XL package. There is a large selection of +1 channels however they all cost money.

ITV2 HD
ITV3 HD
ITV4 HD
TLC HD
Animal Planet HD
TCM HD
Eurosport 2 HD
NHK World HD
Cartoon Network HD
Nick HD
MTV HD

TLC +1
Quest +1
DMAX +1
More4 +1
CBS Drama
Investigation Discovery +1
Animal Planet +1
Discovery Science +1
Discovery History +1
Discovery Home & Health +1
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 20:51   #2406
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
technically he right VM has not got BT sports yet and not 100% certain it will come either but I think it will
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 21:25   #2407
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
technically he right VM has not got BT sports yet and not 100% certain it will come either but I think it will
Could BT Sports launch as a dedicated app on TiVo, rather than watchable channels via the EPG?

BT would just pay Virgin whatever the going rate is to have an app hosted on TiVo. From there BT would have complete control over subscription sign ups, similar to how Spotify Premium customers pay Spotify directly, but can access their music via the TiVo app.

With TiVo having a dedicated 10mb connection, streaming BT Sports in HD should a doddle.

BT win as they can sell the channels to the customer directly. Virgin win as they have the BT Sports channels on their platform. TiVo customers who want access to BT Sports win too.
Old 01-07-2013, 21:54   #2408
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I think Virgin may have already reinvested the money from the ESPN savings. Over the past 6 months Virgin have added 21 new channels to the XL package. There is a large selection of +1 channels however they all cost money.

ITV2 HD
ITV3 HD
ITV4 HD
TLC HD
Animal Planet HD
TCM HD
Eurosport 2 HD
NHK World HD
Cartoon Network HD
Nick HD
MTV HD

TLC +1
Quest +1
DMAX +1
More4 +1
CBS Drama
Investigation Discovery +1
Animal Planet +1
Discovery Science +1
Discovery History +1
Discovery Home & Health +1
I think Virgin adding some 'poor' channels (Shopping Channels, Food Network and more) and putting the prices up early this year pays for the new channels that Virgin have added in 2013.

Virgin still need to pay ESPN up until July 31st.

They will start reusing that money in August.

What will Virgin do???

I think pay Sky more for all the missing channels (Sky News HD) or sign new deals with other broadcasters.

Keep an eye on the Coming Soon to Virgin TV thread.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:16   #2409
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
BT win as they can sell the channels to the customer directly. Virgin win as they have the BT Sports channels on their platform. TiVo customers who want access to BT Sports win too.
What percentage of VM customers have a Tivo? If they went the app route they would have to offer a free upgrade to those that don't or risk them switching suppliers to get the channel if they are in to footy.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 22:39   #2410
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
What percentage of VM customers have a Tivo?
Virgin reported in April 2013 that 1.5 million of their customers now have TiVo. That is 40% of their customer base.

By the time BT Sports launches in August, based on TiVo's uptake rate, Virgin should have 1.7 million customers on TiVo. That pushes the percentage up to 45%.

Having BT Sports as an app exclusive to TiVo might be to Virgins advantage. Customer who don't currently have TiVo, who would want access to the BT Sports app, might be prepared to take a new 12 month contract in return for a free 250gb TiVo box. It wouldn't be the first time content or a service has been exclusive to TiVo.
Old 01-07-2013, 22:46   #2411
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

[QUOTE=Chad;35591077]
With TiVo having a dedicated 10mb connection, streaming BT Sports in HD should a doddle.

It struggles more times than not with HD on BBC iPlayer!!
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:01   #2412
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
I think pay Sky more for all the missing channels (Sky News HD) or sign new deals with other broadcasters.
I think SKY will make SKY Atlantic available to Virgin in the very near future. However I believe there will be a sting in the tail. I can't confirm how I know but there is a very good chance that prior to the end of 2013 SKY will be launching a brand new entertainment channel exclusive to the SKY platform.

I know that without a source this just looks like me, as a SKY customer trying, to wind people up. If people don't believe me that's understandable.
Old 01-07-2013, 23:05   #2413
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think SKY will make SKY Atlantic available to Virgin in the very near future. However I believe there will be a sting in the tail. I can't confirm how I know but there is a very good chance that prior to the end of 2013 SKY will be launching a brand new entertainment channel exclusive to the SKY platform.

I know that without a source this just looks like me, as a SKY customer trying, to wind people up. If people don't believe me that's understandable.
If you have more info - can you PM me.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:29   #2414
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Interesting! Do I remember correctly that a French TV channel closed down over here recently? If so, can you give any info as to whether or not the channel is gonna specalise in world tv? (i.e French, Scandinavian, Australian -other than Neighbours etc.Homeland is just a remake from Israel T.V. after all) We have been treated to some belting shows, films and books over the last few years from said other countries. IF (and it is a huge IF) this is the case, I will want this channel much more than I do Sky Atlantic.

I appreciate you will not be able give much away Chad, but if you can cheer me up by telling me that I am wrong in my assumption, I will be very happy. If I guess right, I will be gutted
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:44   #2415
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

Chad! the new Media Boy??????
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote