Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 03-07-2013, 21:21   #2461
Jameseh

Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
as just recently it was announced that ITV are planning on getting a new 'pay' channel - possible for football in connection with Bt Sports.
No, no it wasn't. They said a classic drama or US imports pay channel. The fact ITV Sports Channel nearly killed them most likely taught them a lesson.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21   #2462
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I fully expect VM to tweak its packages making them even better ,

Looking purely at the cheapest entry package to XL with a PVR (TIVO) costs £60.99 , compared to £54.00 for Entertainment Extra + (from Sept 13 prices) with Sky of course if your address can only receive poor ADSL speeds requiring you to take Sky fibre this then this makes VM cheaper by around £5.50.

Both companies have introductory offers for new customers however I still believe VM will make XL even more attractive or alter its pricing to make it more attractive to those wanting XL TV via the cheapest method.
I've always thought VM could do with offering their top 'collections' (Premiere & VIP) with a single STB option. I do think they represent good value as they stand but I, and no doubt many other VM customers, only require a single STB.

For example, VIP is £113.99 per month, take off the additional V HD box and the price goes up to £130.24 when surely they should offer it for £107.49 (£6.50 less due to removing the additional STB). Sky packages are all built around a single STB with additional ones available if required (albeit at extra cost).

Just wonder if it would benefit VM to do this as Sky's top package (without getting into the comparing apples and pears argument) is around £93 so VM's is about £20 more. Surely a single STB VIP collection with a lower headline cost would benefit VM and reduce the price gap but still allow those who want additional STBs to add them at the regular cost of £6.50+.

Anyway, back on topic with the loss of ESPN in the XL pack and the current negotiations with Sky, does anyone think we may see the end of the Sky Premium HD charge? My logic behind this is that Sky Sports on Sky will be £22 a month from Sep plus about an extra £5 for HD making it £27ish per month. If Sky Sports on VM does go up by over £3 then it is going to touching £30 a month without HD. So if the Premium HD was dropped, it would still be about £3 a month more than on Sky and wasn't the Premium HD charge originally introduced so VM couldn't appear to offer Sky Sports in HD for less than Sky (back when their HD charge was around £10 per month)?

Obviously it's only a thought but some people (me included) enjoy watching sport in HD but will think twice about it now if it's going to be £37ish a month for the privilege. Surely with the launch of BT Sport, Sky will be keen to get as many Sky Sports subscribers as possible even if that means getting them through VM? Alternatively, they could give us all the Sky Sports channels in HD but even then £37ish is still a bit steep.

Interesting times ahead me thinks especially as Sky will be wanting to fight off BT and surely LG must have something up their sleeves as part of the aquisition of VM?
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:26   #2463
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Very good post indeed Superblade7
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:42   #2464
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
I've always thought VM could do with offering their top 'collections' (Premiere & VIP) with a single STB option. I do think they represent good value as they stand but I, and no doubt many other VM customers, only require a single STB.

For example, VIP is £113.99 per month, take off the additional V HD box and the price goes up to £130.24 when surely they should offer it for £107.49 (£6.50 less due to removing the additional STB). Sky packages are all built around a single STB with additional ones available if required (albeit at extra cost).

Just wonder if it would benefit VM to do this as Sky's top package (without getting into the comparing apples and pears argument) is around £93 so VM's is about £20 more. Surely a single STB VIP collection with a lower headline cost would benefit VM and reduce the price gap but still allow those who want additional STBs to add them at the regular cost of £6.50+.

Anyway, back on topic with the loss of ESPN in the XL pack and the current negotiations with Sky, does anyone think we may see the end of the Sky Premium HD charge? My logic behind this is that Sky Sports on Sky will be £22 a month from Sep plus about an extra £5 for HD making it £27ish per month. If Sky Sports on VM does go up by over £3 then it is going to touching £30 a month without HD. So if the Premium HD was dropped, it would still be about £3 a month more than on Sky and wasn't the Premium HD charge originally introduced so VM couldn't appear to offer Sky Sports in HD for less than Sky (back when their HD charge was around £10 per month)?

Obviously it's only a thought but some people (me included) enjoy watching sport in HD but will think twice about it now if it's going to be £37ish a month for the privilege. Surely with the launch of BT Sport, Sky will be keen to get as many Sky Sports subscribers as possible even if that means getting them through VM? Alternatively, they could give us all the Sky Sports channels in HD but even then £37ish is still a bit steep.

Interesting times ahead me thinks especially as Sky will be wanting to fight off BT and surely LG must have something up their sleeves as part of the aquisition of VM?
nice thought but no way will sky drop the cash maker that the HD charge is and no way would they let VM drop the charge either
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:58   #2465
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post
Actually it is been possible since April to do that, it's exactly the same price as with the additional box , but it's not something that's promoted (or possible to do online at the moment) as obviously VM would prefer people to take both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
nice thought but no way will sky drop the cash maker that the HD charge is and no way would they let VM drop the charge either
However Virgin have included it in VIP since around the time it started http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...10/td-p/107314
Old 04-07-2013, 19:16   #2466
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

After a considerable outcry....
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 20:37   #2467
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Actually it is been possible since April to do that, it's exactly the same price as with the additional box , but it's not something that's promoted (or possible to do online at the moment) as obviously VM would prefer people to take both
That's useful to know Ben so thanks for confirming. If it's them same price though I guess you may as well get the AO installed even if you don't use it!
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38   #2468
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Sky and BT scrap over pick of the TV games

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...s-8692765.html
Old 07-07-2013, 09:28   #2469
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Laughable attempt from Bt to make it look like they have any say in the matter. Sky get to choose their top picks, and also get to tell Bt which matchdays they have to take their top picks from. There is no negotiation, Sky got pack D!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:49   #2470
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Like I said previous, utd v Liverpool and arsenal v Chelsea will be on sky not BT.
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51   #2471
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Like I said previous, utd v Liverpool and arsenal v Chelsea will be on sky not BT.
Even if BT gets them, they will still be on Sky. BT sports is on Sky tv
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:18   #2472
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
Even if BT gets them, they will still be on Sky. BT sports is on Sky tv
You don't need to subscribe to Sky to get BT Sports.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:20   #2473
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sky and BT scrap over pick of the TV games

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...s-8692765.html
very interesting Den
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:25   #2474
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
You don't need to subscribe to Sky to get BT Sports.
Never said you did.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
My point is...even if BT sports gets those games, they will still be on sky..because you can watch BT sports on Sky

Sky and sky sports is wholly different
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:34   #2475
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

In my opinion I still think that VirginMedia will get BT Sport from launch but it will be the same price as on Sky (£12 for SD & £15 for HD) and not part of the XL package as ESPN was
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote