Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit
Closed Thread

Old 16-05-2019, 13:01   #2221
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit (New Poll Added)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
If the EU rules are so good, ie washing with water and air, then why is the advice not to wash chicken at home? The study had difficulty find bugs on US chlorinated chicken.

If you sell a dangerous product, you will soon run out of customers. It doesn't make any profit in the longer term.

UK Food Standards Agency.

US CDC

EU Food Standards Agency
So the majority comes from other meats and produce.
Simple solution for anyone who does not want to be stuck with US chicken, is to stick to Organically reared chicken. Organic cannot be chlorine washed or reared in cramped stinking cages.

Still don't want their cheap inhumanely produced fowls. Would rather actively support British Farmers, rather than throw them to the wolves of a US trade deal.
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2019, 17:12   #2222
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Simple solution for anyone who does not want to be stuck with US chicken, is to stick to Organically reared chicken. Organic cannot be chlorine washed or reared in cramped stinking cages.

Still don't want their cheap inhumanely produced fowls. Would rather actively support British Farmers, rather than throw them to the wolves of a US trade deal.
Then buy British. Problem solved.

The cheaper US chicken would be greatly appreciated by those who find it difficult to get by.

So everyone should be happy.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
If we are just as capable then why wasn't it already a law?
Are you seriously telling us that the UK is not able to pass legislation? Leaving the EU does not in itself remove it, nor does it mean we can't change it in the future.

We can do what is best for this country after Brexit, basically.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
You do realise that profit is king in the US. They would nail down everything that could prejudice sales of their chicken.

The problem is that chlorine washing is not effective enough at reducing contamination. The bugs can hide under folds of skin, only to start breeding again when conditions permit. This is why ensuring chickens are as salmonella free as possible in the first place is better. US bred chickens live in conditions that spread salmonella, campylobacter & streptococcus.

Washing chicken at home is not recommended as this spreads any contamination further with hidden spray from the washing process.
More nonsense. I feel so sorry for all those sick Americans.

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
The safest thing, for our health and the planet, is probably not to eat any meat. But that's probably for another thread
Not biting on your vegan menu, Mr K. Meat all the way for me. Always.

---------- Post added at 17:12 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Remainers look set to vote Lib Dem and leavers for Farages party.
That is simplistic in the extreme! There will still be many leavers who vote for the Conservatives or Labour. Both are mandated to leave the EU.
Old 16-05-2019, 17:13   #2223
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Then buy British. Problem solved.

The cheaper US chicken would be greatly appreciated by those who find it difficult to get by.

So everyone should be happy.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Are you seriously telling us that the UK is not able to pass legislation? Leaving the EU does not in itself remove it, nor does it mean we can't change it in the future.

We can do what is best for this country after Brexit, basically.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

More nonsense. I feel so sorry for all those sick Americans.

---------- Post added at 17:08 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

You know fine well what I mean you just don't want to answer it properly. The working time directive is a positive to come from the EU. Nothing to do with us being able to pass legislation or not.
Old 16-05-2019, 17:16   #2224
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You know fine well what I mean you just don't want to answer it properly. The working time directive is a positive to come from the EU. Nothing to do with us being able to pass legislation or not.
Glad that clears that up then as your post was ambiguous.

If the GB wants to have legislation like this, Parliament is capable of passing it. Nothing magical about the EU.
Old 16-05-2019, 17:45   #2225
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Except, obviously, a second Referendum...
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Tbf it's chicken that comes from Trump's America ,if it was from Obama's America it would be fine.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 ----------

Another once in a lifetime referendum before the first one is honoured what kind of message does that send out to the people ?
Unless, of course, you’re Farage...

Quote:
The leader of anti-EU UK Independence Party Nigel Farage said in a newspaper interview published on Tuesday that if the result was as close as 52-48 percent for “In”, the debate would “unfinished business”.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics...endum-36306681
Quote:
There could be unstoppable demand for a re-run of the EU referendum if Remain wins by a narrow margin on 23 June, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 16-05-2019 at 17:49.
Old 16-05-2019, 17:48   #2226
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Glad that clears that up then as your post was ambiguous.

If the GB wants to have legislation like this, Parliament is capable of passing it. Nothing magical about the EU.
No it wasn't

Mick said -

"they do not provide any benefit to our country either."

I said -

"So the working time directive isn't a benefit?"

Mick said -

"we don't need to remain a member of the EU to keep"

I said -

"If we weren't part of the EU, we might have never had it to begin with."

You said -

"Ridiculous question, Mythica. We are just as capable of enacting laws that are good for us."

I said -

"If we are just as capable then why wasn't it already a law?"

You said -

"Are you seriously telling us that the UK is not able to pass legislation? Leaving the EU does not in itself remove it, nor does it mean we can't change it in the future."

I said -

"The working time directive is a positive to come from the EU. Nothing to do with us being able to pass legislation or not."

There is nothing ambiguous about that.

I never said parliament couldn't pass such a law. I said the working time directive was a benefit to come from the EU as Mick said the EU had no benefits. I asked a question that if we were capable then why wasn't it already a law which in itself is a good question as something like the working time directive is a valuable piece of law for workers. Something which we MIGHT not have if it wasn't for the EU.
Old 16-05-2019, 17:53   #2227
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Truly we have plumbed new depths of pedantry.

It’s pretty obvious - to me at least - what Mick’s point was. If we are capable of making our own laws, and prioritising which pieces of legislation are more important, and electing governments on manifestos designed to test what the public thinks is most important, then an organisation is not offering us a benefit by seeking to replicate that capability, least of all when that organisation is trying to write legislation that simultaneously fits the social and legal situations of 28 different countries.
Old 16-05-2019, 18:17   #2228
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Truly we have plumbed new depths of pedantry.

It’s pretty obvious - to me at least - what Mick’s point was. If we are capable of making our own laws, and prioritising which pieces of legislation are more important, and electing governments on manifestos designed to test what the public thinks is most important, then an organisation is not offering us a benefit by seeking to replicate that capability, least of all when that organisation is trying to write legislation that simultaneously fits the social and legal situations of 28 different countries.
I disagree. Mick said "
they do not provide any benefit to our country either."

Whether or not we can make our own laws or not doesn't take away the working time directive which came from EU laws and is a benefit to millions of people in the UK.
Old 16-05-2019, 18:37   #2229
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I disagree. Mick said "

Whether or not we can make our own laws or not doesn't take away the working time directive which came from EU laws and is a benefit to millions of people in the UK.
Some people see things as black and white. All good or all bad, it isn't that simple. To say the EU don't provide any benefit is ludicrous. Farmers subsidiies, structure funds for deprived regions, workers rights, the list is long. As with many things people will realise until it's gone. Any saving you can bet won't be as fairly distributed. I predict the rich will get richer and everyone else poorer, hence the millionaires and affluent politicians desperate for Brexit.
Old 16-05-2019, 18:39   #2230
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Some people see things as black and white. All good or all bad, it isn't that simple. To say the EU don't provide any benefit is ludicrous. Farmers subsidiies, structure funds for deprived regions, workers rights, the list is long. As with many things people will realise until it's gone. Any saving you can bet won't be as fairly distributed. I predict the rich will get richer and everyone else poorer, hence the millionaires and affluent politicians desperate for Brexit.
Old 16-05-2019, 18:41   #2231
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I disagree. Mick said "

As I said: pedantry.

It is as much benefit as me owning two iPads.. No matter how much intrinsic value there is in the thing, its value to me is severely curtailed by the fact that I have one already.
Old 16-05-2019, 18:42   #2232
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Vegetarian OB, now Vegans are irritating I must admit

p.s. I really would vary your diet a bit !
Old 16-05-2019, 18:55   #2233
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As I said: pedantry.

It is as much benefit as me owning two iPads.. No matter how much intrinsic value there is in the thing, its value to me is severely curtailed by the fact that I have one already.
How is it pedantry when someone says the EU provides no benefits to then point out a benefit that the EU brought to the UK?

Your analogy would work if the working time directive already existed as it does now before the EU law was brought in, but it didn't so it doesn't work.
Old 16-05-2019, 19:04   #2234
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
How is it pedantry when someone says the EU provides no benefits to then point out a benefit that the EU brought to the UK?

Your analogy would work if the working time directive already existed as it does now before the EU law was brought in, but it didn't so it doesn't work.
'Pedantry' a valid point, which I wish to ignore. ©Oxford English Dictionary.
Old 16-05-2019, 19:07   #2235
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

It’s the legislative process I’m talking about. We have a functioning one already. I’m not surprised the EU Parliament is more valued elsewhere; every other country in the EU, with only a very few exceptions, has been ruled by dictatorship within living memory.

The point about the WTD is a logical extension of that point. No matter how much intrinsic value it has, it is nothing we couldn’t have done ourselves. Neither does the fact we didn’t do it prove anything; in many cases these things are discussed for years in Brussels before finally being agreed and there is therefore no incentive for the British government to press ahead with its own domestic legislation.
Closed Thread