Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 17-03-2020, 23:17   #736
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If people don't do as they are told, they have said that nothing is off the table, including forced containment. I presume this to mean that they will use the police and the army to force people into isolation. Those with the virus who refuse to co-operate.will have their liberty to freely walk about withdrawn.
I don't want anything like martial law but posts like the below demonstrate why we might have a problem in this country with people who think they know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Well I went to the local for my normal pint or two and there were the usual regulars. People still going into the restaurant section for food.
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2020, 23:33   #737
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
If people don't do as they are told, they have said that nothing is off the table, including forced containment. I presume this to mean that they will use the police and the army to force people into isolation. Those with the virus who refuse to co-operate.will have their liberty to freely walk about withdrawn.
A law for that was set in place more than a month ago.
The Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020

Quote:
Detention of persons by the Secretary of State or a registered public health consultant
4.—(1) Where Condition A or B is met in relation to a person (“P”), the Secretary of State or a registered public health consultant may, for the purposes of screening, assessment and the imposition of any restrictions or requirements under regulation 5, impose on P a requirement to be detained until the later of—
Old 17-03-2020, 23:38   #738
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l agree as this is not a time for party politics as this grave crisis and the consequences of it outweigh petty politics.
Too right Den. I don't like Johnson or the current Tory Government, but this is not the time for politics or any other disagreements of any kind.

A lot of people are saying that the government & the public are overeacting because only a small amount will actually die.

They're now saying that up to 80% will get the virus. Yes, most won't die, but if an enourmous amount of people are incapacitated at any one time (especially if it's found that people who have had it can get it again) before a vaccine is found, society will quickly collapse. Anyone who'se had proper flu knows that you are totally unable to function.

What if there aren't enough experienced people to run power, water plants etc? What if sewage plants, bin collections are affected? Councils have already said that bin collections may have to be reduced or suspended. What impact will rubbish in the streets, or sewage backing up have on an already sick population?

As the chancellor said today, we are in a health and economic emergency and I applaud him for forgetting about Conservative ideology and intervening to try and stop the economy collapsing. Labour were critiscised by the Torys for borrowing so much money to bail out the banks to protect capitalism, yet the Torys are now doing the same thing and going against what they stand for because it's not only the right thing to do, it's the only chance we've got.

Now, if we get through this economically, and suffer many deaths on the way and a vaccine is found, what then for those who survive?

Our debts will be insurmountable, families will have lost loved ones, the streets could be filthy, there could be no power, water, gas,there could be riots and lootings- the government is already afraid of food riots and civil disobedience as it is. Many, many businesses will have closed, so unemployment will be rife. Life will be very different for those who survive.

And if we don't find a vaccine, I genuinely think that we could be facing extinction as a species.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 17-03-2020 at 23:45.
Old 17-03-2020, 23:42   #739
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
In France you now need to fill out a form any time you want to leave the house. Fines for people found without the form.
They're not having people asking for permission to leave the home. It is merely filling out and printing an online form or even creating a handwritten version, explaining why they are outside.
Old 18-03-2020, 00:36   #740
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You still don't get it. The real figure will be massively higher.
Dont patronize me you annoying little twerp.

Some figures from a site I found thats tracking confirmed numbers.

Worldwide Confirmed Cases : 197,185 : Deaths 7,905 : Recovered 80,840.

Of course, as Mr Obvious likes to point out, total numbers will be higher.

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:34 ----------

Quote:
And if we don't find a vaccine, I genuinely think that we could be facing extinction as a species.
Umm, you do realise that the majority recover, right ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 18-03-2020, 01:27   #741
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Dont patronize me you annoying little twerp.

Some figures from a site I found thats tracking confirmed numbers.

Worldwide Confirmed Cases : 197,185 : Deaths 7,905 : Recovered 80,840.

Of course, as Mr Obvious likes to point out, total numbers will be higher.

---------- Post added at 00:36 ---------- Previous post was at 00:34 ----------

Umm, you do realise that the majority recover, right ?
But if they can get it again and again and huge swathes of the working population are continually off work in cycles, leading to little to no economic prosperity and rubbish/sewage is present (leading to further disease) or there is no electricity, internet etc I think that we will, at best, be massively reduced in number.
Old 18-03-2020, 03:50   #742
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Re: Sainsburys:

- Disabled & over 70's to get priority access to delivery slots.

- Elderly & vulnerable customers to be given special times when only they can shop.

- From this Thursday all cafes, pizza, fish & meat counters will be suspended.
Old 18-03-2020, 05:32   #743
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Re: Sainsburys:

- Disabled & over 70's to get priority access to delivery slots.

- Elderly & vulnerable customers to be given special times when only they can shop.

- From this Thursday all cafes, pizza, fish & meat counters will be suspended.
How do you prove it online? I have physical documentation.

Is it going to be silly peak times of day when everybody else is travelling on public transport?
Old 18-03-2020, 05:36   #744
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post

Is it going to be silly peak times of day when everybody else is travelling on public transport?
Indeed as that was exactly my chain of thought.
Old 18-03-2020, 05:40   #745
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

I don't know, they've said that eligible people will be contacted shortly......but how will they know? I don't think they know our dates of birth and won't have details of who is or isn't disabled.

Edit: I've copy/pasted it for you to read:

I wrote to you last week to tell you about some of the steps we are taking to support increased demand for food and other essential items.

After I wrote to you last week, many of you replied. You wrote to share your concerns about our elderly and vulnerable customers and to ask if we can do more to restrict the number of items each person can buy. I have listened to feedback from you and from Sainsbury's colleagues across the country and wanted to share some of the extra steps we are taking to make sure everyone has access to the items that they need:

A number of you suggested that we reserve an hour in stores for elderly and vulnerable customers. In response to this request, we will set aside the first hour in every supermarket this Thursday 19th March, for elderly and vulnerable customers. I hope that you can respect this decision and will work with us as we try our best to help those that need it the most. If you or an elderly family member, friend or neighbour would like to shop during this hour, please check online for your local supermarket opening hours.

We will also help elderly and vulnerable customers access food online. From Monday 23rd March, our online customers who are over 70 years of age or have a disability will have priority access to online delivery slots. We will contact these customers in the coming days with more details.

For any online customer who can travel to our stores, from Monday 23rd March, we will operate an expanded 'click and collect' service. We are significantly increasing the number of collection sites across the country over the coming days in preparation for this. Customers can place their order online as usual and pick it up from a collection point in the store car park. We believe this will also work for people who are self-isolating.

As we work to feed the nation, we are also focusing all of our efforts on getting as much food and other essential items from our suppliers, into our warehouses and onto shelves as we possibly can. We still have enough food for everyone - if we all just buy what we need for us and our families.

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible.

I mentioned last week that we had put limits on a very small number of products. Following feedback from our customers and from our store colleagues, we have decided to put restrictions on a larger number of products. From tomorrow, Wednesday 18th March, customers will be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two on the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers.

Finally, I wanted to end by saying a huge thank you to Sainsbury's colleagues across the business. Everyone is working flat out in difficult circumstances to do their best to serve our customers. If you're able to say thank you to them when you see them, I know they would hugely appreciate it.

Best wishes

Mike
Old 18-03-2020, 05:43   #746
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

But how do they know who is eligible?.
Old 18-03-2020, 05:47   #747
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But how do they know who is eligible?.
It doesn't say, it only says that "we will contact these customers in the coming days"!?!?
Old 18-03-2020, 05:53   #748
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Evening Standard article
Quote:
All its stores will only open to these two groups for the first hour of trading on Thursday, but will open for an hour longer so other shoppers do not miss out.
Sainsbury's has now said customers over 70 and those with a disability will also have priority access to online delivery slots from Monday and the chain is also expanding its "click and collect" service.
So I'd have to get there by 7am. If currently the delivery slots are already full, it's going to take a while for any future priority slots to become available. I suppose they have a few days to work it out.
Old 18-03-2020, 06:00   #749
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Evening Standard article
So I'd have to get there by 7am. If currently the delivery slots are already full, it's going to take a while for any future priority slots to become available. I suppose they have a few days to work it out.
Can you use your pass at that time?

There is now a holding queue to get onto the Ocado site....

Amazon has now said that it is to suspend non essential orders:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...us-until-april
Old 18-03-2020, 06:10   #750
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Can you use your pass at that time?

There is now a holding queue to get onto the Ocado site....

Amazon has now said that it is to suspend non essential orders:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...us-until-april
No, but for me it wouldn't be a big financial problem. As it's a disability one it would act as proof of eligibility. Not sure what the criteria for other people would be.

IIRC Amazon have said if they already have something in the warehouse you can order it. They are prioritising warehouse space.
Closed Thread