Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 21-01-2010, 10:33   #31
NeroAerials
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV & broadband Hotbird Freesat Freeview
NeroAerials is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

I did say it is not strictly true, in case you wasn't aware, sly have changed their dishes and also the lnb fitments in the last four months.

So if your friend who has had the quad lnb on here dish for six months, then it's pretty good odds that they are using the old style sly quad lnb.

And sly have done this so that people buying 3rd party dishes cannot use their quads / octos on their systems.

perhaps you would like to tell us all if this new style quad would fit on your friends system.

NeroAerials is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2010, 10:37   #32
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

That's the whole point, we're not talking about sky dishes here.. nor are we talking about sky LNB's And my EME bounce dish definately didn't come from Sky (mind you that doesn't have an LNB, hard to transmit through an LNB)

My new 1.2m dish didn't come from sky, neither did the Diseqc motor nor the quad lnb, none of my friends stuff came from sky either..

Please stop assuming that everyone interested in sat has stuff supplied by sky and that sky are the only suppliers out there
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 10:52   #33
NeroAerials
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV & broadband Hotbird Freesat Freeview
NeroAerials is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally am of the opinion that people buying cheap FTA dishes and boxes from B&Q to get their freesate signals will not be going to grax or sat solutions to buy their quad or octo lnb's.

I am more than aware that sly are not the only suppliers of equipment as of yet I have never even thought about buying, diplexers, launch amps, mast head amps or multiswitches etc from sly.
NeroAerials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 11:02   #34
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I've found that a lot of people will buy a cheap system (FTA ) as it's the first step into finding out that there's more to sat than Sky. A lot then go onto better recievers (most which do not come with a dish) and if the reciever has multiple modules and/or pvr functions then they of course need a dual (or greater) lnb. Also there's the options of twin (monobloc) lnb's with varying degrees of seperation for as on your profile hotbird or other sat reception.

As such the B&Q makes a great starting point for these people.. But yes you are right that they're not great for true freesat usage as you will lose most of the freesat extended features but they will work for simple channel viewing
Old 01-02-2010, 20:48   #35
asciidv
Inactive

asciidv is an unknown quantity at this point

Kymmy, that's me! I bought the B and Q system on impulse because of the price. I bolted it together on a Sunday afternnon, rested the dish on a chair pointing out of my bedroom window, in Northumberland.....and it just worked. The double glazing appeared to have very little affect.

The diffrence between FTA and Freeview passed me by until now.

However, I can say that I would totally recommend this box if you are begiining in
Satellite TV. It does everything it says it does on the box. I am having fun with it!
£40 well spent!
asciidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 21:16   #36
Kymmy
Inactive

Freesat will have all the red button functions, HD and a more fully featured EPG, FTA will show you all the channels (including all of Sky's FTA non-encrypted) and will be perfectly watchable.

Glad you're happy and welcome to the forum
Old 15-02-2010, 23:00   #37
kafagan55
Inactive

kafagan55 is an unknown quantity at this point

i bought this box and dish using it on a multi sat system it a great box for the money

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:55 ----------

a quad lnb will work with this dish
kafagan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 23:50   #38
marielle
Inactive

marielle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, just registered on this forum.
I recently bought a Ross satellite from B & Q and am having trouble finding any satellite. Where am I going wrong.

I think I have found 28.2 degrees and have hitched the dish up to the box which is hitched up to the television, but when I do auto scan I am getting nothing. Just a message at the end of the scan saying cannot find program.
marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 01:19   #39
kafagan55
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielle View Post
Hi all, just registered on this forum.
I recently bought a Ross satellite from B & Q and am having trouble finding any satellite. Where am I going wrong.

I think I have found 28.2 degrees and have hitched the dish up to the box which is hitched up to the television, but when I do auto scan I am getting nothing. Just a message at the end of the scan saying cannot find program.
hi you must be pointing at the wrong satellite. switch on the audio signal in the menu this will buzz very loudly when you find a satellite. is there a house near you that has a sky dish on it if so compare your dish position with. remember the dish should be pointing straight ahead best of luck.let me know how you get on
kevin
Old 25-02-2010, 08:32   #40
marielle
Inactive

marielle is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help Kevin

I will try that............
marielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 15:56   #41
kafagan55
Inactive

your welcome let me know how you get on . if you still have problems you can contact me.
regards
kevin
Old 27-03-2010, 15:22   #42
Top-cat
Inactive

Top-cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Can't get % quality reading on Ross Satellite

Hi have bought a Ross HD Digital Receiver and have managed to get 99% on the level but cannot get anything on the Quality, it just stays at 0%. Have been trying all day. Any ideas? My first time trying to dabble with satellite dishes. cheers
Top-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 23:41   #43
caggy
Inactive

caggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Can someone tell me why you would buy one of the Ross's freesat dishes ahead of a normal freeview box, aren't the channels pretty much the same?
caggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:52   #44
Kymmy
Inactive

Freesat has a slightly different channel lineup than Freeview. Also a lot of people might be in a weak freeview area so can only get freesat
Old 07-04-2010, 11:19   #45
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by caggy View Post
Hi,

Can someone tell me why you would buy one of the Ross's freesat dishes ahead of a normal freeview box, aren't the channels pretty much the same?
Long term, the prospects for a decent selection of HD channels are far, far better with satellite than with terrestrial. However, I still wouldn't buy a Ross box because they are not Freesat accredited. You will get all the same channels on the Ross box as with a branded Freesat box but you're unlikely to see extra goodies like the BBC iPlayer appearing on non-Freesat boxes.

I would say, unless you are a particular fan of the few channels that are on Freeview but not Freesat (basically Dave, UKTV History, Fiver and Five US), a branded Freesat HD box is a far better purchase than a new Freeview HD box.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote