Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Siesta time

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Siesta time

Old 08-03-2019, 11:43   #1
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Siesta time

I don't have a link as I read on BBC site for newspaper headlines and the article is on the Telegraph (paywall) but to summarise; research in Greece has shown that it's not just the Med diet that can improve your heart but coupling that with having a siesta - 40-60 mins - after lunch.

The figures quoted in what I can read are that siesting adults of 62 with high blood pressure had 4% lower BP. This could lead to a reduction of 10% in heart attack risk comparable with low doses of medication.

There are multiple links of various ages suggesting that this isn't new, e.g. https://www.olivetomato.com/live-lon...yle-take-naps/

And I believe some Japanese companies even provide "pillows" so staff can nap at desk. There are lots of adds for "Public Nap Pillows".

But with the daft work "ethic" in northern Europe some are lucky to get time for lunch let alone lunch + nap.
Old 09-03-2019, 19:36   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Siesta time

I used to enjoy a short nap after lunch during my years in Cyprus, but only when it was stinking hot during the summer months.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 19:23   #3
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

I thought the idea of the siesta was to get out of the heat / working in the heat during the summer months in the hotter European countries.

In terms of the Japanese providing pillows, it's more than likely to keep staff in the workplace longer. It's considered rude to go home before the 'boss' does. If he decides to stay late, so do the rest of the workforce, out of respect for him.
Old 10-03-2019, 22:33   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Yeah from what I have heard the Japanese work culture is really unhealthy with very long hours and an unspoken expectation that you stay at your desk well past your actual hours.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:50   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Yeah from what I have heard the Japanese work culture is really unhealthy with very long hours and an unspoken expectation that you stay at your desk well past your actual hours.
Lol, the expectation is the opposite in this country !
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote