Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 22-12-2019, 20:56   #1201
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Why would he ? I have superfast broadband available and still watch a mix of linear , recorded and On Demand content.

Many times I end up watching programmes from the TV Guide in fact I find Netflix overwhelming sometimes and give up.
When you get a spare few minutes, just add the films and TV series you like the look of to your watch list. Then, when you later flop down in the sofa after a hard day's graft, just select something from that list.

It must be quicker and more satisfying than channel hopping, surely?

Oh, and whoops, looks like we have three scheduled linear channels closing in January.....

https://www.rxtvlog.com/2019/12/univ...-1-uk-axe.html
Advertisement
Old 22-12-2019, 20:59   #1202
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

A music channel and a channel no longer needed since Comcast's purchase of Sky.
Old 22-12-2019, 21:02   #1203
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
A music channel and a channel no longer needed since Comcast's purchase of Sky.
It amounts to less programmes available, and 5Spike is going as well. I think the process has begun. Over the coming months and years, you will see more and more channels cease broadcasting and not being replaced. However, VOD will proliferate and overall we will have more choice.
Old 22-12-2019, 21:08   #1204
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It amounts to less programmes available, and 5Spike is going as well. I think the process has begun. Over the coming months and years, you will see more and more channels cease broadcasting and not being replaced. However, VOD will proliferate and overall we will have more choice.
Sky announced new channels didn't it ? Sky Crime already available and Sky Comedy coming soon.
Old 22-12-2019, 22:40   #1205
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
H'mm. You may see things differently when superfast broadband comes to your house, Chris.
I can guarantee you I won’t.

My humble 4mbit is more than adequate for Netflix, Apple and Prime TV (and I have all of them), yet right now I’m happily watching the second half of a documentary on BBC4 that I stumbled across.

I don’t want to settle in for an hour of event TV. A little light filler for the 20-30 minutes before the kids go to bed is just what I’m after right now, and the linear tv schedule makes that quick and easy to find.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
It must be quicker and more satisfying than channel hopping, surely?
Nope. But I can accept you may see it that way. Can you say the same for me?

Quote:

Oh, and whoops, looks like we have three scheduled linear channels closing in January.....
Two channels I’ve never watched and won’t miss.
Old 23-12-2019, 09:18   #1206
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sky announced new channels didn't it ? Sky Crime already available and Sky Comedy coming soon.
Sky Crime has replaced Real Lives, which no longer broadcasts.

Just noticed that Sky Comedy is actually going to replace the Universal Channel, so we've lost three and gained two, I'll grant you that! Keep your eye on Sky Two, though - that is rumoured to be next in the firing line.
Old 23-12-2019, 11:54   #1207
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Sky Crime has replaced Real Lives, which no longer broadcasts.

Just noticed that Sky Comedy is actually going to replace the Universal Channel, so we've lost three and gained two, I'll grant you that! Keep your eye on Sky Two, though - that is rumoured to be next in the firing line.
I'm going to ask the obvious question as to the ultimate source of the rumour. Is it you? given the number of years you've persisted with the same messages in the absence of any evidence at all.

I've seen you reference it numerous times and not once seen a single other person, on any forum, anywhere.

Even if Sky did close a channel that was ultimately repeats of the main channel, content replicated On Demand, etc. I'd be more worried if they closed down Sky One.

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Quote:
Why would he ? I have superfast broadband available and still watch a mix of linear , recorded and On Demand content.

Many times I end up watching programmes from the TV Guide in fact I find Netflix overwhelming sometimes and give up.
I see we are still stuck on the Old Boy can't see past his own utopian vision of the future - one he pays £99 a month to Virgin of all people to enjoy!

I'll again reference the point since Tivo/Sky+ have become common not a single subscriber to Sky or Virgin has had to watch a second of live scheduled television, ever. Yet, they do.

Last edited by jfman; 23-12-2019 at 11:59.
Old 24-12-2019, 10:29   #1208
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

It's funny the multitude of streaming services that popped up in the USA such as Sling TV , DirecTV Now , Hulu Live , YouTube TV all carry a huge range of linear TV channels.

Strange that considering they haven't got long left and nobody watches them , In a country were cord cutting is far more advanced than here.
Old 24-12-2019, 16:51   #1209
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I'll again reference the point since Tivo/Sky+ have become common not a single subscriber to Sky or Virgin has had to watch a second of live scheduled television, ever. Yet, they do.
Probably because that's due to live football, and that will always be the case, for me anyway, I'd never watch a recorded football match.
Old 24-12-2019, 17:49   #1210
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

The OTT live streaming services don't seem to be doing particualrly well in the US.
Sony is closing down its Playstation Vue service and the other players in the market are raising prices quite considerably.
Old 24-12-2019, 18:05   #1211
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Price rises were always going to happen being that some of the services are owned by traditional satellite platforms like DirecTV (AT&T) and Dish Network.

It's the same way as Now TV continue to increase prices.
Old 24-12-2019, 18:32   #1212
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Price rises were always going to happen being that some of the services are owned by traditional satellite platforms like DirecTV (AT&T) and Dish Network.

It's the same way as Now TV continue to increase prices.
We have Now TV for the next 3 months for £5 and as soon as that finishes we will cancel but everytime we are about to do they offer us another cut price offer for 3 months.
Old 24-12-2019, 19:09   #1213
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Probably because that's due to live football, and that will always be the case, for me anyway, I'd never watch a recorded football match.
Good luck with that - Boxing Day and New Year have 9 games in one day, mostly 3 at a time - can't watch them all live
Old 24-12-2019, 19:51   #1214
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Indeed, reasonable point made and nor would I. But with 84% of viewing of scheduled content “live” and 16% on catch up/time shift it can’t all be live football.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Good luck with that - Boxing Day and New Year have 9 games in one day, mostly 3 at a time - can't watch them all live
I think what he’s saying is he’d rather give it a miss/watch highlights than watch a whole game “as live”.
Old 24-12-2019, 21:14   #1215
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Who does? I'd say that its ppl who follow whatever the team that they do follow will watch them live, the rest could be viewed by highlights

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed, reasonable point made and nor would I. But with 84% of viewing of scheduled content “live” and 16% on catch up/time shift it can’t all be live football.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

I think what he’s saying is he’d rather give it a miss/watch highlights than watch a whole game “as live”.
Correct
Closed Thread