Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 27-02-2019, 11:18   #601
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,700
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No doubt about it MM.
Let's not be negative about progress!

Did you also see that the Beeb were seeking Government approval to extend the existing 30 day limit on their catch-up fayre to 12 months on the i-Player? Surely, that is a plus.

The launch of Britbox UK will not affect either the BBC i-Player or the ITV Hub. In fact ITV is looking to make major improvements to the ITV Hub, which currently leaves much to be desired.

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

Another reason why streaming is better than live TV! Sorry, couldn't resist!


https://www.a516digital.com/2019/02/...tion.html#more

As weather disrupts TV reception, viewers advised to stream TV instead
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2019, 11:36   #602
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!
 
pip08456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 64
Services: Now back with VM for BB & phone. 50Mb service.
Posts: 9,214
pip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The article says it will be chargeable , if iPlayer just becomes catch-up and you have to pay for Brit box for boxsets then that's clearly a step back for license fee payers.
All the more reason to get rid of the TV license.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:37   #603
muppetman11
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,977
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Thanks for the link , 12 months availability on iPlayer after broadcast would be very welcome.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:43   #604
denphone
Still alive and fighting
 
denphone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 2 V6 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 53,590
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
denphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver blingdenphone has a lot of silver bling
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Did you also see that the Beeb were seeking Government approval to extend the existing 30 day limit on their catch-up fayre to 12 months on the i-Player? Surely, that is a plus.
Yes l saw that but don't think its a gimme that they will extend the limit to 12 months on the i-Player.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

The launch of Britbox UK will not affect either the BBC i-Player or the ITV Hub. In fact ITV is looking to make major improvements to the ITV Hub, which currently leaves much to be desired.
Given ITV's track record so far in this field it will need huge improvements to make the ITV Hub a place where viewers want to go as currently its pretty much a shambles.
__________________
ďThe only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itselfĒ
denphone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:51   #605
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,700
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes l saw that but don't think its a gimme that they will extend the limit to 12 months on the i-Player.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------



Given ITV's track record so far in this field it will need huge improvements to make the ITV Hub a place where viewers want to go as currently its pretty much a shambles.
Catch-up will definitely be extended to a 12 month window on the i-Player IF the Government permits it. That's what the BBC is pushing for. I'm not sure that ITV would want to do thaton their ITV Hub, though, which is a shame. I won't shed any tears, though because I would never view a site with unskippable adverts. I don't see the need to subscribe to the ITV Hub+ either as everything on there has either been recorded or I don't want to see.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:52   #606
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,085
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Call it 'speculation' on the part of the BBC if you want to, jfman, but it is what the BBC believe and it is with that in mind that they will be preparing their negotiations in ten years' time. That BBC view chimes with what the media industry believes. Why you continue to spit in the wind with your 'nothing will change' arguments, I cannot fathom.

You are correct in saying that DTT bandwidth has not been reallocated yet, but as that won't happen for some years yet, I don't think that is a relevant point. Incidentally, you may have overlooked the fact that this process has already commenced elsewhere in Europe.

Yes, I stand by my 'hardly stimulating' comment. That's not being rude to anyone, it's just a statement of fact. However, it is just as easy to click on a streaming service and click on the first programme you see on there as it is to select a channel and fall back in the armchair in a hypnotic state.

Your argument around Sky seems confused, as if the view you express invaliidates my argument. The existing satellite system will soon be complemented by an IPTV system, and although the two systems will exist side by side for probably a decade, it is very likely that their system will be IPTV only after that, when existing satellites are due for replacement. The IPTV system Sky design to replace satellite tv will be a better version of Now TV, and it will be based on the 'on demand' features rather than live tv. In the early days, of course, it will have both, with an ability to record the scheduled programmes. The design of it, I believe, will lead to a better acceptance of viewing by VOD.

Sky could retain Premiership sports rights now that they are a part of the larger Comcast stable, but that isn't guaranteed. It may be that BT is the first casualty of the increasing interest shown by the global streaming companies. If you really believe that Amazon and other companies don't have the financial clout to outbid either BT or Sky, you are deluding yourself.
Once again you are conflating huge cash reserves and profits for the ability to make a return on investment going forward. All of these companies have money now - the technology is there - but they donít bid.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:58   #607
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,700
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Thanks for the link , 12 months availability on iPlayer after broadcast would be very welcome.
I think so too. I will certainly record less as a result of such a decision. 4 weeks is too restrictive for me.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Once again you are conflating huge cash reserves and profits for the ability to make a return on investment going forward. All of these companies have money now - the technology is there - but they donít bid.
They are not going to sink a shedload of money into it until superfast broadband is rolled out over the whole country. That's all that appears to be stopping them. Once they have the reach, watch this space.

Do I actually need to mention to you that the Britbox UK announcement is further evidence that on demand viewing/streaming is the future of TV? I still don't think you see it, do you, despite the substantial amount of evidence out there?
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 13:00   #608
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness
 
alwaysabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: S Essex
Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 2ac, talk more anytime.
Posts: 2,352
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Catch-up will definitely be extended to a 12 month window on the i-Player IF the Government permits it. That's what the BBC is pushing for. I'm not sure that ITV would want to do thaton their ITV Hub, though, which is a shame. I won't shed any tears, though because I would never view a site with unskippable adverts. I don't see the need to subscribe to the ITV Hub+ either as everything on there has either been recorded or I don't want to see.
I agree OB, anything on commercial channels I record for the reasons you state. I-player is great, I watch a lot of nature programs on there.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 13:01   #609
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 32,917
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, I stand by my 'hardly stimulating' comment. That's not being rude to anyone, it's just a statement of fact.
It isn’t - it’s a statement of opinion that reveals nothing except your own preferences and prejudices.

Who are you to determine what other people should feel when they switch the TV on?

This, perhaps more than anything else, demonstrates why you’ve failed to convince anyone of anything despite running multiple versions of this thread over multiple forums over several years. You’ve never been able to get past the fact that other people have different experiences and tastes than you do.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 13:21   #610
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,700
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It isnít - itís a statement of opinion that reveals nothing except your own preferences and prejudices.

Who are you to determine what other people should feel when they switch the TV on?

This, perhaps more than anything else, demonstrates why youíve failed to convince anyone of anything despite running multiple versions of this thread over multiple forums over several years. Youíve never been able to get past the fact that other people have different experiences and tastes than you do.
I do accept that others have a different point of view, Chris. Isn't the point of a discussion forum that you express your view?

Incidentally, do you still stand by your comment, made a few years ago I think, that there will be insufficient electricity for on demand/streaming services to be viable as an alternative to broadcast TV in the future? Or have you had a subtle change of mind since then?

That certainly sounds crazy now.

Events will prove you wrong.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 13:30   #611
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 32,917
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I do accept that others have a different point of view, Chris. Isn't the point of a discussion forum that you express your view?

Incidentally, do you still stand by your comment, made a few years ago I think, that there will be insufficient electricity for on demand/streaming services to be viable as an alternative to broadcast TV in the future? Or have you had a subtle change of mind since then?

That certainly sounds crazy now.

Events will prove you wrong.
If you find the post where I said that, you will also find the statistics I used to show that the UK national grid lacks the capacity to light up all the fibre that would be required to deliver the total viewing of all UK households over IP as opposed to the present mix of IP and broadcast. I actually donít have the time or the inclination to do the work for you - feel free to search and post the link.

Sadly for you, ďthat certainly sounds crazy nowĒ isnít an effective counter-argument. What you need is some statistics showing projected growth in the UKís energy production and distribution infrastructure. And while youíre at it, donít forget to factor in other future uses of that infrastructure for which we are presently ill-prepared, principally charging all-electric vehicles.

Clearly you have plenty of time on your hands so Iím going to assume, if you donít post the figures that back up your assertion, that you found the figures disagree with you.

Now, off you pop.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 13:53   #612
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,700
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you find the post where I said that, you will also find the statistics I used to show that the UK national grid lacks the capacity to light up all the fibre that would be required to deliver the total viewing of all UK households over IP as opposed to the present mix of IP and broadcast. I actually donít have the time or the inclination to do the work for you - feel free to search and post the link.

Sadly for you, ďthat certainly sounds crazy nowĒ isnít an effective counter-argument. What you need is some statistics showing projected growth in the UKís energy production and distribution infrastructure. And while youíre at it, donít forget to factor in other future uses of that infrastructure for which we are presently ill-prepared, principally charging all-electric vehicles.

Clearly you have plenty of time on your hands so Iím going to assume, if you donít post the figures that back up your assertion, that you found the figures disagree with you.

Now, off you pop.
You simply cannot make a case based on what is 'now', Chris. If more capacity is needed, more will be created. To use the fact of what is the situation now to justify why something won't happen in the future is, well, naive.

Nobody posts reams of facts and figures to prove their viewpoint - it's pretty obvious to anyone with their eyes open where this is all going.

I certainly do not have the time to help you understand all the facts behind the blindingly obvious - my interests extend well beyond the Cable Forum!
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 14:50   #613
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 32,917
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Boom.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 14:55   #614
OLD BOY
Experience is everything
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 boxes; Ultimate oomph; Now TV, Amazon and Netflix; VM broadband and landline
Posts: 10,700
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
OLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze arrayOLD BOY has a bronze array
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Boom.
You cannot 'prove' the future, Chris.
OLD BOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 16:21   #615
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 4,085
jfman has reached the bronze age
jfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze agejfman has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think so too. I will certainly record less as a result of such a decision. 4 weeks is too restrictive for me.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 ----------



They are not going to sink a shedload of money into it until superfast broadband is rolled out over the whole country. That's all that appears to be stopping them. Once they have the reach, watch this space.

Do I actually need to mention to you that the Britbox UK announcement is further evidence that on demand viewing/streaming is the future of TV? I still don't think you see it, do you, despite the substantial amount of evidence out there?
Why do they need superfast broadband to be rolled out further than it already is? If they are relying on the tiny minority of homes without adequate broadband to make or break their business model then the plans are already margonal at best. Those homes are already years behind in terms of the market emerging there.

Itís a red herring for the reality you ignore. The market simply doesnít exist on the level you believe it does and you underestimate the main players now and their ability to adapt. Despite both Sky and Virgin being supported as part of wider media empires that have a worldwide business model relying upon it.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:03.


Server: curium.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.