Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New content for Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New content for Virgin Media

Old 07-03-2018, 17:00   #166
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: New content for Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Subscribe to Discovery at your assumed price, Amazon and Netflix and you will have far more watchable material for a lot less than your cable subscription. You didn’t expect any OTT services to be free, surely. But good value? Definitely.
None of these have any sport on that I watch so no good for me.

I wouldn't expect anything for free, but wouldn't want to pay a fortune for very little.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2018, 17:09   #167
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Subscribe to Discovery at your assumed price, Amazon and Netflix and you will have far more watchable material for a lot less than your cable subscription. You didn’t expect any OTT services to be free, surely. But good value? Definitely.
That very much depends on what one wants to watch.
Old 07-03-2018, 17:22   #168
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

There's a lot to choose from, Den, I'm pretty sure there is enough varied content to suit most tastes, from dramas to documentaries to wild life shows.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 17:56   #169
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Well, my expectation is that there will be a range of OTT services available covering all the genres, so you'd just pick those that you are interested in. Not everyone likes nature, science and engineering programmes, and if you are one of those people, then Discovery is not a service you would wish to watch. However, if you are a more serious kind of person who is drawn to factual programmes, this might be right up your street.

These will all replace the free and pay-tv scheduled channels in due course and so you won't be paying twice over. I envisage VM providing packages of on demand and OTT content that will look something like this:

Freeview on demand:
Featuring BBC i-Player, ITV Hub, All4, Demand 5, (or perhaps a 'Kangaroo' style package Netflix style which the regulatory authority stopped from happening back in the day)

Virgin Showcase
With Virgin exclusives and other acquired content such as ABC Studios, UKTV, etc

Sky With Sky original and acquired content - similar to Now TV with general entertainment, dramas, documentaries, films and sports.

Netflix With their mix of dramas, films and documentaries.

Amazon Similar to Amazon, but possibly with the addition of sport.

Hayu Featuring reality shows.

Discovery With factual programming including nature, science and engineering programmes.

Eurosport Player Featuring Eurosport programming, which may expand from today's offering.

YouTube for music, and the rest as now.

Curzon Films

Virgin Movies

Virgin Media Store

And so on. So you would pick the material you were most interested in and just pay for them. My choice out of that lot would be Freeview On Demand, Virgin Showcase, Sky, Netflix, Amazon and YouTube, which I suspect would cost me in the order of £45 at today's prices. Much better value than our current cable subscription, and at the moment of course, many of us are already paying for Netflix and Amazon on top.

Of course, VM may seek to give us a more extensive choice of these OTT services and may build on what they offer under their Virgin Showcase offer. The better the range of material on there and the better the range of OTT services, the more revenue they would generate.

There would be no separate charge for channels on the EPG because that would not exist anymore.

That's how I see it, folks!

Last edited by OLD BOY; 07-03-2018 at 18:04.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:57   #170
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Presumably, we will get access to YouTube Red when it is launched in the UK.

http://www.digitaltveurope.com/2018/...usic-metadata/
Old 12-04-2018, 09:32   #171
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

This might be a decent app for Virgin Media and may interest sport enthusiasts. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though it is available in HD, so that would inevitably reduce its popularity.

I had never heard of the Sports Channel Network before now.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/04/...-promises.html
Old 12-04-2018, 09:42   #172
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Personally despite your optimism l cannot see it happening OB.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:52   #173
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It's doesn't grab me as must have if I'm honest.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 09:58   #174
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It's doesn't grab me as must have if I'm honest.
Most of the content is what l call third rate.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:30   #175
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Starts getting expensive in families with a wide viewing habit from different package streams. You may be happy with one set of "channels" but your wife wants some of those and some others and the children of differing ages and interests also want other sources. Soon you need to subscribe to "everything" because content providers don't want to split off just bits of their material.

Then you also miss finding new stuff by channel hopping. Maybe content you didn't even realise existed.
Old 12-04-2018, 13:28   #176
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Starts getting expensive in families with a wide viewing habit from different package streams. You may be happy with one set of "channels" but your wife wants some of those and some others and the children of differing ages and interests also want other sources. Soon you need to subscribe to "everything" because content providers don't want to split off just bits of their material.

Then you also miss finding new stuff by channel hopping. Maybe content you didn't even realise existed.
Yes, that's true enough. The app doesn't appeal to me simply because it's sport, but I thought some might be interested, particularly if it was part of a package without extra cost.

I would never advocate finding stuff to watch by channel hopping, by the way. That rarely ends well. When you do eventually find something you like, you normally find that you are three quarters of the way through it and it's on a +1 channel! Best to plan your viewing in advance and record what appeals, I believe.

---------- Post added at 12:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

What about this, then? I think a NASA channel would go down very well with VM viewers.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/04/...satellite.html
Old 12-04-2018, 13:32   #177
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
What about this, then? I think a NASA channel would go down very well with VM viewers.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/04/...satellite.html
And the cost is?.
Old 12-04-2018, 15:43   #178
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

vm should have space for this channel
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 08:55   #179
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
And the cost is?.
I don't believe that NASA charges for this channel.

EDIT

Yes, it's free to air.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...at-satellites/

NASA TV HD is transmitted free-to-air from the Hotbird video neighbourhood at 13 degrees East for viewers in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, and via the 7 degrees East video neighbourhood for viewers in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 13-04-2018 at 09:42.
Old 13-04-2018, 10:12   #180
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I don't believe that NASA charges for this channel.

EDIT

Yes, it's free to air.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...at-satellites/

NASA TV HD is transmitted free-to-air from the Hotbird video neighbourhood at 13 degrees East for viewers in Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, and via the 7 degrees East video neighbourhood for viewers in Sub-Saharan Africa.
If its free to air then that's great as its a subject l find very interesting.