Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | channel lists for freesat & free sat from sky

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

channel lists for freesat & free sat from sky

Old 14-05-2008, 22:56   #31
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: channel lists for freesat & free sat from sky

Well, they're not exactly prominently marketed, are they? Which one would you recommend? And what does it cost?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2008, 23:02   #32
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

? are you on about a HD FTA satellite receiver ?
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 23:06   #33
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Yes - you have demonstrated that non-Sky, FTA SD receivers are readily available, and cheap ... I don't accept that they are nearly so user-friendly or marketable as Freesat, but never mind for the time being ... so now, can you show that FTA HD receivers are also readily available, and affordable?

Remember, the industry experts are already starting to offer the opinion that easy consumer access to free HD is the 'killer' proposition for Freesat. If Freesat is totally unnecessary for achieving that, then you *might* have a point.
Old 14-05-2008, 23:06   #34
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

while iv never used one myself iv only heard good things about the Fortec Star Passion & at £99 from: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?...99265&doy=14m5 its good value too. btw most FTA satellite receivers are user friendly other then the Dream Box rage, but their more for use when hacking services.
Old 14-05-2008, 23:10   #35
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Good find - now, what sort of EPG and interactive platform does the Fortec box offer? Will it offer ethernet, which is part of the Freesat box spec and will launch later this year?

It's interesting that Maplin is suddenly selling this box as 'Freesat friendly' - something I assume they weren't doing prior to Freesat's launch. Perhaps they recognise the need for a strong consumer brand to help the buying public to understand the proposition?
Old 14-05-2008, 23:16   #36
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

here are the specifications from the Maplin site:

Manufacturer: Fortec Star

Brilliant on-screen graphic
MPEG-2 digital and fully DVB compliant
MPEG-2 Video (MP@ML), MPEG-1 Audio Layer1, Layer2
RF-Modulator UHF 21~69 with PAL
LNB controlling logic(off/22kHz tone, 13/18V 14/19V)
SCPC/MCPC receivable from C / Ku-Band satellites
SDigital tuner with loop-through
Wide symbol rate 2~45Msps and frequency input 950 ~ 2150MHz
DiSEqC 1.2 supported
2 SCARTs for TV and VCR
S/PDIF digital bitstream output audio
User friendly, full-function OSD menu
256 Colour Graphic User Interface
Multi-language menu
4-digit 7-segment LED screen
Variable Aspect Ratio (4.3, 16:9) with Pan Vector or Letter Box
EPG(Electronic Programme Guide) for on-screen channel information
Text and subtitle supported (VBI and OSD)
Installation by Easy Setup Guide
Capacity for storing multi-channel (2000 channels, 500 transponders)
Favourite channel and parental lock function
RS232C port and OTA (Over-the-Air) for upgrading system software

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

it doesnt say about interactive & 2bh ethernet is mainly used for adding hacked software & patching the receiver for watching pay tv (however as you will already know non is available for Videoguard). Maplin have been selling satellite receivers & dishes etc for along time so its not a new thing where their concerned.

just noticed that it has a USB port so that would do most of what the ethernet would, if you wanted to use third party software for example.
Old 14-05-2008, 23:21   #37
Albie
Inactive

Albie is on a distinguished roadAlbie is on a distinguished road

Yes, well I have bought a Humax Freesat HD box and I must say it is awesome. A lovely GUI with plenty of settings including DiSEqC etc.

HD looks great on it. I would advise you all to run out and get one.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 23:23   #38
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

? the DiSEqC control what version is it ? eg 1.1 or 1.2 etc ?
Old 14-05-2008, 23:40   #39
G UK
cf.addict

Services: TIVO, XL TV, XL BB, M Phone
G UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of Quads

The important question though is it muppet friendly. Can somebody walk in and say "I want FreeSat for my HD telly" it gets set it up and thats it?

Most people arnt that bothered about tech details and just want to pay for something and use it. They dont want the bother of finding somebody to install and configure the system for them or learning to do it themselves, they much prefer to push a button on the remote and its there.
G UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 23:43   #40
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

you can yes however if you pay for installation when you buy a freesat receiver, the shop will charge you £80. if you cant align a dish yourself but you put it up yourself it'l cost you £30-£40 for a local installer to align it for you (any more & their ripping you off). if you can drill a hole in a wall then you can put a satellite dish up, it aint hard look in the yellow pages or on http://www.yell.com for a local installer, dont use the shop where you got it from as £80 is day light robbery.
Old 15-05-2008, 00:09   #41
G UK
cf.addict

G UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
if you can drill a hole in a wall then you can put a satellite dish up, it aint hard
Looks like your overestimating the average punter, I know many people who wouldnt want to do this (they dont even own a drill) and several of those that could but would put it up wrong, like on the wrong side of the house. For many the easiest would be just to let somebody who knew what they were doing do it which would mean a full installation charge from whoever they pick.

There is of course those millions who would just follow whatever the shop said as well.
Old 15-05-2008, 00:12   #42
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

well almost everyone that i know can drill a whole & common sense tells you to have it on the same side of the house that your neighbours dishes are
Old 15-05-2008, 00:23   #43
G UK
cf.addict

They may be capable of drilling a hole but would they be willing to fit there own dish. You and I know its quite simple but most people will just not do it themselves.

As an example, my parents are perfectly capable of fitting a dish but they wouldn't do it as they would be worried of doing something wrong. My Grandparents are incapable of doing it.

Many people are perfectly capable of changing the oil on there cars after all its only one bolt but most dont and would rather pay somebody else. Why? worry over breaking something, not wanting to get there hands dirty, not knowing how to do it etc etc

---------- Post added at 00:23 ---------- Previous post was at 00:22 ----------

Anyway bedtime for me, I'll continue tomorrow evening if I remember
Old 15-05-2008, 00:24   #44
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

i see your point but you should give ppl more credit then that fella
Old 10-06-2008, 22:06   #45
allthegearnoidea
Inactive

allthegearnoidea is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, hands up, I'm not exactly a techie, but I can navigate any/most menus, so is there an 'idiots' guide to adding extra channels to sky?

I have done the obvious & added the extra channels from the 'find new channels option'
But I guess you have to add the rest manually, where can I find a list of the frequencies, & a quick guide to how to install them*?

*this may become obvious when I actually go in to that menu :~)

Many thanks

Cheers.
allthegearnoidea is offline   Reply With Quote