Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

Old 22-05-2008, 17:53   #61
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Freesat: Free satellite TV by BBC and ITV tv to launch!

he said that he's already got a quad lnb, so he just needs to add two more runs of cable from the lnb.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2008, 17:59   #62
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-cable-guy View Post
he said that he's already got a quad lnb, so he just needs to add two more runs of cable from the lnb.
correct. but is the dish bolted in position? ie if someone goes up and screws in another line of cable or replaces the one to my sky box with a dual cable in one so no new hole to my bedroom is needed, i dont want the dish to move when someone goes up there.
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 18:10   #63
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMaster View Post
correct. but is the dish bolted in position? ie if someone goes up and screws in another line of cable or replaces the one to my sky box with a dual cable in one so no new hole to my bedroom is needed, i dont want the dish to move when someone goes up there.
ok the simplest way to explain it is that, your lnb has a little plastic bolt on it which fastens it to the end of your dish & is the only thing that you'd need to change (if you were changing your lnb), as your not then no bolts need to be changed or moved & yes your dish is bolted to the wall. all that needs to be done is to add two more runs of cable with some f plugs at either end. one end is twisted onto your lnb & sealed with waterproof tape & the other end is connected to your receiver. the same goes for both runs of cable & thats it

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

just wanna also add that if your dish has been installed properly then it should be very tightly bolted, so it shouldnt move at all unless of course you force it to move. dishes are installed this way to stop them from moving in heavy wind etc.
Old 22-05-2008, 18:52   #64
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts

Quote:

just wanna also add that if your dish has been installed properly then it should be very tightly bolted, so it shouldnt move at all unless of course you force it to move. dishes are installed this way to stop them from moving in heavy wind etc.
Cheers.... That answers my questions

Just 1 point. I saw someplace about a Cable with 2 in 1? So I only need 1 hole in my wall & I get 2x connected? I already have a hole in the wall (for Sky TV) so I could pull it out & replace with a Twin Cable?

What is this Twin Cable called? & I assume I need 2x F Plugs (to go to the Dish) & 2x Males to the STB (if I get BBC/ITV FreeSat
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 19:07   #65
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

from what i have red that would work as you said yes, however i cant remember what its called sorry. also i have never used those cables myself so i can only go on what i have red, on principle tho it would work as you said.
Old 22-05-2008, 19:44   #66
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
The way satellite TV in the home works is that every individual receiver requires its own LNB at the dish. A PVR has 2 or 3 receivers built in, so requires 2 or 3 receivers. AFAIK you can't buy tri-LNBs, which is why for a three-receiver box like Sky Plus (which lets you watch one channel and record two more) you need a quad-LNB.
I'm guessing Chris has me on ignore or simply doesn't want to answer my previous questions about magic ethernet ports.
Somebody point out to him that Sky+ has two tuners so requires two cable feeds from the LNB. It allows you to record two channels whilst watching a previously recorded programme, not a third channel. The playback from its hard disk does not require a tuner.
Old 22-05-2008, 19:47   #67
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
I'm guessing Chris has me on ignore or simply doesn't want to answer my previous questions about magic ethernet ports.
Somebody point out to him that Sky+ has two tuners so requires two cable feeds from the LNB. It allows you to record two channels whilst watching a previously recorded programme, not a third channel. The playback from its hard disk does not require a tuner.
Not ignoring you, just misunderstanding Sky's advertising. I always thought the 'record two, watch one' meant the one you were watching could be a live broadcast.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 19:49   #68
Losttheplot

Quote:
Cheers.... That answers my questions

Just 1 point. I saw someplace about a Cable with 2 in 1? So I only need 1 hole in my wall & I get 2x connected? I already have a hole in the wall (for Sky TV) so I could pull it out & replace with a Twin Cable?

What is this Twin Cable called? & I assume I need 2x F Plugs (to go to the Dish) & 2x Males to the STB (if I get BBC/ITV FreeSat
I think the twin cable is siamese.
You will need two runs, theres no way around it. I'd guess the 2 in 1 device you mention mixes terrestrial frequencies with L band (LNB output) frequencies which are different. Two LNB ouputs are the same range of frequencies so can't share the same cable.

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Quote:
Not ignoring you, just misunderstanding Sky's advertising. I always thought the 'record two, watch one' meant the one you were watching could be a live broadcast.
Sorry Chris, the question I thought you were ignoring is what Freesats ethernet port provides the consumer. i.e what is it for?
Old 22-05-2008, 19:57   #69
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Sky have always advertised them as Losttheplot said.

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Quote:
I think the twin cable is siamese.
You will need two runs, theres no way around it. I'd guess the 2 in 1 device you mention mixes terrestrial frequencies with L band (LNB output) frequencies which are different. Two LNB ouputs are the same range of frequencies so can't share the same cable.
thanks for the info.
Old 22-05-2008, 20:32   #70
bonehead
Inactive

bonehead is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i still have skybox,just dumped sky tv today,what a job,easier getting shut of a bad cold
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 20:38   #71
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Sorry Chris, the question I thought you were ignoring is what Freesats ethernet port provides the consumer. i.e what is it for?
Sorry, there's more than one Freesat thread going on, I'm getting confused what I've answered where.

The BBC and ITV insisted on specifying an ethernet port so they can offer VOD-like services via the red-button, and a broadband return path which allows good quality interactive applications that don't require a phone line for dial-up.

A version of the BBC iPlayer and the joint-venture equivalent (called Kangaroo, and involving BBC, ITV and C4) are being developed for Freesat.
Old 22-05-2008, 21:09   #72
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
yes i still have skybox,just dumped sky tv today,what a job,easier getting shut of a bad cold
simple then you can use it to receive the FTA channels & if you keep your viewing card you'l also get the FTV channels
Old 22-05-2008, 21:27   #73
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I remember that, some time ago, there was a device that allowed the signal from two LNBs to pass along the same cable. It worked by shifting the output of one of them to a higher frequency band. This probably caused some attenuation problems! I can't remember what it was called and it seems to have sunk without trace. Far easier, and cheaper, to use two (or one siamese) cables.
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 21:37   #74
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
simple then you can use it to receive the FTA channels & if you keep your viewing card you'l also get the FTV channels
Indeed. So long as he's happy with no HD channels and no iPlayer.
Old 22-05-2008, 21:48   #75
Losttheplot

Quote:
Indeed. So long as he's happy with no HD channels and no iPlayer.
A Sky HD box from ebay will give BBC, Luxe HD (!) and C4 HD once the card is transferred, plus more channels than Freesat (at the moment).
At the moment with Freesat he'd have to be happy with BBC HD and Luxe HD (!)