Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Roku or Amazon Fire stick?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Roku or Amazon Fire stick?

Old 29-07-2021, 09:37   #16
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Roku or Amazon Fire stick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Thanks for letting me know it's something I don't want/need to watch.

How do you know what it like if you don't know it's there? As a Christian I want people to see good material about Jesus.

The point was that I start "The Chosen" app on my tablet, select cast icon and the Fire Stick shows up as a target without needing to touch the Fire Stick itself. I didn't need to pair things, install app on Fire Stick etc. Other apps may work in same way as may other devices.
Old 29-07-2021, 10:16   #17
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
How do you know what it like if you don't know it's there? As a Christian I want people to see good material about Jesus.

The point was that I start "The Chosen" app on my tablet, select cast icon and the Fire Stick shows up as a target without needing to touch the Fire Stick itself. I didn't need to pair things, install app on Fire Stick etc. Other apps may work in same way as may other devices.
I don't believe in fairytales. You can believe what you want and I won't knock you for it. Just don't try getting me to believe in something that doesn't exist. You (and your ilk) have totally missed and understood nothing of what Jesus (allegedly) was all about.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 10:20   #18
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I don't believe in fairytales. You can believe what you want and I won't knock you for it. Just don't try getting me to believe in something that doesn't exist. You (and your ilk) have totally missed and understood nothing of what Jesus (allegedly) was all about.
Needless to say I disagree … I’m tempted to put my newly minted theology degree to work here but I’ll have to take you up on that some other time.

For now this is all off topic.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 10:33   #19
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Needless to say I disagree … I’m tempted to put my newly minted theology degree to work here but I’ll have to take you up on that some other time.

For now this is all off topic.
Fair play Chris. As a sidenote. I was educated by the Redemptorist Fathers with a view to becoming a priest. I would have no problem in discussing theology (or philosophy) with you some other place some other time. It might prove interseting for both of us.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 10:57   #20
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I'm in processes of applying for a Graduate Diploma in Theology.

Must return to topic, must return to topic.
Old 30-07-2021, 11:20   #21
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

So, the Roku arrived and it’s all set up. Took about 20 minutes faffing about, not because of the Roku but because all the apps require signing in (even the free UK public service ones). Much referring back to my iCloud Keychain for passwords. It has impressed us all so much I’ve now ordered a second one, which will smarten an old tv that used to be in the spare bedroom and go in my girls room (which has never had an aerial input) so they can watch Love Island on something bigger than their phones.
Old 30-07-2021, 11:23   #22
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

So, how are you finding the Roku Chris?

When I put my new one on the other day I wa like "that's not my theme!" And a dig through the Settings I find a new setting for themed wallpapers that replace the default when there are big events on. Optional thankfully, though the Olympics one that was showing was nice, so I left it enabled.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 12:02   #23
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I had only just changed the wallpaper on the one in the holiday flat when it automatically switched to the Olympic theme. I hadn’t given it any thought since, so I haven’t gone looking for a menu option to switch event themes off. I probably won’t bother either, as I won’t use either of the Rokus from day to day, as one is in the spare room and the other is going in my daughters bedroom. Maybe I’ll sort it out if they complain.

There are two reasons why I bought Roku rather than Amazon to replace our obsolete Amazon Fire stick. The first is that Amazon itself is responsible for forcing obsolescence on the Fire stick. It worked perfectly well and didn’t need whatever bloated system update they have forced on it that has reduced it to a crawl. I’m not rewarding that bad faith with another purchase (even though I bought the Roku from them, as it was going extremely cheap - I have to assume that their profit margin is much higher on Fire devices). The second is that the Roku interface isn’t biased towards Roku content. With the Fire stick there isn’t an Amazon Prime app. You’re always looking at the Amazon Prime TV Home Screen, just with third party apps included in the menu. I can’t be bothered staring at Prime by default because less than 5% of the tv we stream comes from Prime.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:02   #24
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

On the FireStick (and the app) I'd like to lock it down to "Free to me" so I don't even see what would cost me more but I guess that's part of what Amazon want to help cover costs for the free stuff.

Another annoyance is the amount of stuff we watch that suddenly goes "Not available in your region", especially irritating mid season.