Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Welsh required for jobs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Welsh required for jobs

Old 12-07-2021, 13:39   #16
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Welsh required for jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Quite easy you do not try to force people to learn a language for a job. Saying no one can work here who only speaks English (which you all speak) is no different to saying no women or no men. It is discriminatory
Quote:
saying we will only give jobs to those who know something is exactly discriminating
Does the same apply to foreigners that come to the UK and work in factories?

They need to speak, read, write English to a certain standard . . or no job
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2021, 13:40   #17
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
If that's what they were saying then yes it would be.

But they're not, are they? Read the article, they're being given 6 months to pick it up.

Welsh is one of the easiest languages for non-English speaking people to pick up. Lots of jobs expect you to learn new skills in a given timeframe, why is this any different?
or on appointment I did read the article
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 13:43   #18
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
or on appointment I did read the article
So we’re agreed they’ll be given 6 months, good.

Nothing wrong with expecting a new employee to pick up new skills in 6 months.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 13:43   #19
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Many years ago (70s) we went to Anglesey, we popped in to a small shop, a couple were in there speaking Welsh, they stopped when we walked in and then carried on speaking in Welsh, although we didn't speak Welsh we could tell they were talking about us.

We did our shop and approached the till, after 5 minutes of stand there my dad said "sod this let's go elsewhere" and plonked the basket on the side and started to leave the owner said in English "You can't leave that there".

My just said "watch me" as we walked out.

I do also remember that during that 2 weeks it rained only 3 times, Morning, Noon and night.
Old 12-07-2021, 13:44   #20
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Quite easy you do not try to force people to learn a language for a job. Saying no one can work here who only speaks English (which you all speak) is no different to saying no women or no men. It is discriminatory
You can learn English. You can’t learn to be a different gender.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-07-2021, 13:45   #21
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Does the same apply to foreigners that come to the UK and work in factories?

They need to speak, read, write English to a certain standard . . or no job
I expected this from someone.

Here is the difference

Almost everyone in Wales speaks English so why force some to learn Welsh

Almost everyone in England speaks English so to just get by in society they need to learn some.

your point holds as much water as Henry's bucket

It is not lost on me that English is more of an international language of trade and commerce which does as a nation makes us lazy in the art of picking up other languages
Old 12-07-2021, 13:47   #22
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Many years ago (70s) we went to Anglesey, we popped in to a small shop, a couple were in there speaking Welsh, they stopped when we walked in and then carried on speaking in Welsh, although we didn't speak Welsh we could tell they were talking about us.

We did our shop and approached the till, after 5 minutes of stand there my dad said "sod this let's go elsewhere" and plonked the basket on the side and started to leave the owner said in English "You can't leave that there".

My just said "watch me" as we walked out.

I do also remember that during that 2 weeks it rained only 3 times, Morning, Noon and night.
In 2001 I was in London and the woman I was seeing suggested we stop off at this pub. I went to bar and when I ordered drink 2 guys next to me said “FFS get back down the mines”.

Boring, we’ve all heard stories like that.

---------- Post added at 13:47 ---------- Previous post was at 13:46 ----------

Quote:

Here is the difference

Almost everyone in Wales speaks English so why force some to learn Welsh

Almost everyone in England speaks English so to just get by in society they need to learn some.

your point holds as much water as Henry's bucket

It is not lost on me that English is more of an international language of trade and commerce which does as a nation makes us lazy in the art of picking up other languages
So I assume you’re against expecting someone to learn new skills to a required level when they start a new job?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-07-2021, 13:48   #23
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
You can learn English. You can’t learn to be a different gender.
tell that to the LGBTQ+ community

---------- Post added at 13:48 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Quote:

So I assume you’re against expecting someone to learn new skills to a required level when they start a new job?
Nope
Old 12-07-2021, 13:50   #24
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Excellent, I knew you’d come round eventually

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-07-2021, 13:52   #25
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Excellent, I knew you’d come round eventually
There is you assuming again

You do not need to learn Welsh to speak to people who speak English same as you do not need to learn how to weld to work on a checkout in Tesco
Old 12-07-2021, 13:55   #26
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
There is you assuming again

You do not need to learn Welsh to speak to people who speak English same as you do not need to learn how to weld to work on a checkout in Tesco
Of course I’m assuming. You agreed there’s nothing wrong with expecting an employee to learn a new skill.

The WG is expecting new employees to learn a new skill.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-07-2021, 13:59   #27
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Are boys who became Eastern European lorry drivers the type to have taken in the English they might have been taught at school?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 14:00   #28
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
You wrote:

Quite easy you do not try to force people to learn a language for a job.

and then go on to wriggle out of it
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 14:07   #29
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
They haven't said they want Welsh-only speakers.

Bias towards their own national language and wanting to help keep it alive...who'd have thought it eh?
Not the point, they have no justification for the restriction.
The only possible justification for such a policy is if there was a large enough pool of Welsh-only speakers that they had to deal with, and they had a lack of people who could also speak Welsh.

Anyway they would also have to not allow Welsh-only speaking applicants, because they would be required to communicate with English speakers.
Speaking Welsh is not needed to do the job, speaking English is.

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Quote:
So we’re agreed they’ll be given 6 months, good.

Nothing wrong with expecting a new employee to pick up new skills in 6 months.
Only if it's necessary to perform the job.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 14:09   #30
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Not the point, they have no justification for the restriction.
The only possible justification for such a policy is if there was a large enough pool of Welsh-only speakers that they had to deal with, and they had a lack of people who could also speak Welsh.

Anyway they would also have to not allow Welsh-only speaking applicants, because they would be required to communicate with English speakers.
Speaking Welsh is not needed to do the job, speaking English is.
I'm pretty certain that if it genuinely was "discrimination" then the Equalities and Human Rights Commission would be all over it.

I presume they're not? That's because it isn't discrimination.

Vote #AnyoneButTory