Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 04-08-2021, 16:17   #1876
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
From 2023.
And potentially from 2025 for us to charge the EU citizens

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-c...itizens-visit/

Quote:
LONDON — The British government confirmed plans to charge EU citizens and other foreign nationals to visit, as part of a wider reform aimed at making the border more secure.
Quote:
The ETA is expected to come into force by 2025, but according to Salma Shah, a former special adviser to Sajid Javid when he was home secretary, “we are probably going to see a lot more ... changes before we see a real settled immigration pattern and practicalities around how we deliver the immigration system.”
Old 04-08-2021, 16:47   #1877
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

That link I posted says thay it's from the of 2022??

Apparently, the charge isn't for a visa, (so I'm assuming that we must have agreed a reciprocal agreement with them), but is a charge for a scheme that entitles us to not to have to pay for a visa!?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 16:49   #1878
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
The European Commission has offered free travel for UK travellers who go to EU countries for short stays, as long as the UK agrees to do the same for EU nationals. If the UK accepts this offer, it will still be necessary to complete the ETIAS application though there would not be a fee.

The European Commission has said the EU’s offer was “entirely conditional upon the UK also granting reciprocal and non-discriminatory visa-free travel for all EU member states.”
The UK confirmed it was going to charge EU citizens back in May - https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-c...itizens-visit/ with confirmation here - https://www.etauk.uk/

I have to say, €7 is a bargain compared to an ESTA for the US at $14. Mine always seems to run out just before I need to travel...
jonbxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:06   #1879
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Aaah i see, so we're back to the we don't want to be part of your organisation BUT we do want to retain the same benefits that we had whilst being a member?
I'm afraid he's right, Seph. You can't leave the golf club but still expect to play on its greens at no cost.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 17:16   #1880
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Apparently, the charge isn't for a visa, (so I'm assuming that we must have agreed a reciprocal agreement with them), but is a charge for a scheme that entitles us to not to have to pay for a visa!?
Yes, same as the US and Canada have for us today.
Old 04-08-2021, 19:15   #1881
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm afraid he's right, Seph. You can't leave the golf club but still expect to play on its greens at no cost.
Leaving the EU and leaving a golf club have no parallels.
For example, you can leave a golf club without negotiating a withdrawal agreement; you can leave a golf club without setting up an NI Protocol.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:
Aaah i see, so we're back to the we don't want to be part of your organisation BUT we do want to retain the same benefits that we had whilst being a member?

Are you that delusional ???
Don't be ridiculous. You suggested that my attitude meant that I wouldn't be buying anything from the US. Whereas I was making the point that EU would try and hurt us at every opportunity.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 20:44   #1882
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Leaving the EU and leaving a golf club have no parallels.
For example, you can leave a golf club without negotiating a withdrawal agreement; you can leave a golf club without setting up an NI Protocol.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Don't be ridiculous. You suggested that my attitude meant that I wouldn't be buying anything from the US. Whereas I was making the point that EU would try and hurt us at every opportunity.
If the majority of the British population follow the behaviour of your local
Waitrose then the only thing hurting will be EU due to a lack of tourists.

It’s what £8 ? Talk about making a mountain of a molehill
Old 04-08-2021, 20:54   #1883
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
If the majority of the British population follow the behaviour of your local
Waitrose then the only thing hurting will be EU due to a lack of tourists.

It’s what £8 ? Talk about making a mountain of a molehill
Now you're being silly. The cost of the EU visa (if it goes ahead) never figured in my assessment. I merely emphasised that if the EU can hurt the UK, it will with a smirk.

Old 04-08-2021, 20:56   #1884
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Now you're being silly. The cost of the EU visa (if it goes ahead) never figured in my assessment. I merely emphasised that if the EU can hurt the UK, it will with a smirk.

How exactly is it hurting the U.K. ?
Old 04-08-2021, 21:32   #1885
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
How exactly is it hurting the U.K. ?
I'll bring you back to what I said in response to RC's post reporting that the EU were going to slap a visa fee on UK citizens:

Quote:
As I've regularly said, the EC hates the UK for leaving their poxy "union". They'll say that all third-countries will be equally treated, but the EC will be laughing up their sleeves.

Old 04-08-2021, 21:44   #1886
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
I have to say, €7 is a bargain compared to an ESTA for the US at $14.
And even more so compared with this...
https://www.gov.uk/get-electronic-visa-waiver
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 21:54   #1887
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
I'll bring you back to what I said in response to RC's post reporting that the EU were going to slap a visa fee on UK citizens:

So, this doesn’t just apply to the U.K. we’re not being singled out.

you’re making this up to suit your own agenda,

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
The UK confirmed it was going to charge EU citizens back in May - https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-c...itizens-visit/ with confirmation here - https://www.etauk.uk/

I have to say, €7 is a bargain compared to an ESTA for the US at $14. Mine always seems to run out just before I need to travel...

Try Global Entry $100 USD every five years…. I put it on my card pick up points etc as I do with flights and accommodation and then expense it back
Old 04-08-2021, 22:02   #1888
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
So, this doesn’t just apply to the U.K. we’re not being singled out.

you’re making this up to suit your own agenda,
<SNIP>
You're making things up. I simply said that they'd be laughing up their sleeves (at the inconvenience to which the UK would be put).

Old 04-08-2021, 22:05   #1889
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
You're making things up. I simply said that they'd be laughing up their sleeves (at the inconvenience to which the UK would be put).

You have no evidence to support that, but you so desperately want it to be true.
Old 04-08-2021, 22:11   #1890
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
You have no evidence to support that, but you so desperately want it to be true.
See the French/Irish bragging over 2nd jabs for details.