Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 03-08-2021, 16:07   #1861
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
EDIT: Didn't we donate nearly 4 million vaccine doses to Ireland earlier this year? Makes the bragging very distasteful and certainly most perfidious.
There was some talk in March but I can't see any verified information to say that it happened.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40253024.html
Quote:
The [Irish] Government has said it is "not aware" of any plans that the British to share almost 4 million vaccines with Ireland, following reports on Sunday.

A Government spokesperson said it and the UK government "maintain close contact across all matters of common interest", but is not aware of a specific UK plan to share vaccines with Ireland.
If it had happened members of both the UK and NI Governments would have milked the point for all it is worth as a political gesture.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/po...friend-3181519
Quote:
Sammy Wilson: Vaccine offer shows Irish Republic that UK – not EU – is its true friend
News that the UK is willing to send millions of vaccine jabs to the Irish Republic should stand as a clear illustration that the UK – not the EU – is Ireland’s true friend.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56556125
Quote:
The Sunday Times reported that the UK was preparing to offer 3.7 million vaccines to the Republic of Ireland.

It quoted a cabinet source who said the idea was both "good politics" and would address "genuine public health concern in Northern Ireland".

Last edited by BenMcr; 03-08-2021 at 16:14.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2021, 16:23   #1862
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There was some talk in March but I can't see any verified information to say that it happened.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40253024.html

If it had happened members of both the UK and NI Governments would have milked the point for all it is worth as a political gesture.

https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/po...friend-3181519

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56556125
Damn!

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 16:35   #1863
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

There never was an offer only a suggestion that any excess supplies could be sent.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 18:16   #1864
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Damn!
Yes, I think it was a case of nearly donating 4 million vaccine doses as oppose to donating nearly 4 million vaccine doses.

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

More signs of the adjustment to Brexit. Covid no doubt playing its part too.
Quote:
Brexit: Vegetable producer says labour shortage means food is being thrown away

One of the country's biggest vegetable producers says it is losing thousands of pounds a week and having to throw away food due to a labour shortage.

The workforce at Alfred G Pearce, based near King's Lynn, Norfolk, is 20% to 30% down on previous years.

Business development manager Jack Pearce said the Covid-19 pandemic and Brexit were to blame.

The Home Office said employers should "invest in the domestic work force" rather than labour from abroad.

A second company, Freshlands Farm, based in Ramsey, Cambridgeshire, said it had lost tens of thousands of pumpkins as it had not been able to hire any workers to clear weeds from the fields.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-58058783
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 20:31   #1865
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Yes, I think it was a case of nearly donating 4 million vaccine doses as oppose to donating nearly 4 million vaccine doses.

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:57 ----------

More signs of the adjustment to Brexit. Covid no doubt playing its part too.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-58058783
Yup.

It’s unfortunate but this is the market at work. Sooner or later producers will learn what they need to do to thrive in this environment. The successful ones will find ways to implement new procedures. I hold out little hope for anyone who, this time next year, is still bleating about labour shortages in the faint hope of getting the government to readmit large numbers of casual labourers from Eastern Europe. Ministers have rightly reinforced their view that producers should be looking for ways to staff their operations locally.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 21:54   #1866
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
One of the country's biggest vegetable producers says it is losing thousands of pounds a week
So pay a few more people to work for you ?

Oh wait ...
Quote:
Mr Abblitt said it was "a big concern" whether he could find the 20 to 30 people per day needed to pick, wash and pack the remaining pumpkins.
You mean at the crappy rates you pay .... Im sure you could find 30 local people if the money was right.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 22:23   #1867
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Couldn't agree more Paul.

Mr Abblitt is possibly one of those nice employers that paid his foreign workers minimum wage, then charged them £100 a week each to live in cramped conditions in a couple of old caravans in the corner of a field.

He maybe even turned a blind eye to the legality of them being in the UK and paid them much less . . but it's all supposition, and there's no proof that he or anyone in the business ever did such a thing.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:11   #1868
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

New charge to visit Europe to be introduced:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eti...er-brexit/amp/
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:21   #1869
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

As I've regularly said, the EC hates the UK for leaving their poxy "union". They'll say that all third-countries will be equally treated, but the EC will be laughing up their sleeves.

I hope that in addition to not buying French cars, Brits will eschew EU holiday destinations. It's a power we hold.

We've stopped buying French wine and cheese along with a lot of Waitrose customers that I know.

Old 04-08-2021, 12:36   #1870
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
As I've regularly said, the EC hates the UK for leaving their poxy "union". They'll say that all third-countries will be equally treated, but the EC will be laughing up their sleeves.

I hope that in addition to not buying French cars, Brits will eschew EU holiday destinations. It's a power we hold.

We've stopped buying French wine and cheese along with a lot of Waitrose customers that I know.

I presume you're not buying anything from the US in that case, as they also charge for an ESTA ? Or, for that matter, any other country that charges an entry fee.

You're coming across like a spoilt child.
Old 04-08-2021, 13:12   #1871
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

You mean the one that was proposed before the vote to leave?

https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/wh...rders/etias_en
Quote:
The European Commission first introduced the idea of a ETIAS in April 2016 in the Communication "Stronger and Smarter Information Systems for Borders and Security"Search for available translations of the preceding linkEN••• and adopted the proposal on 16 November 2016. After negotiations with the European Parliament and the Council the ETIAS Regulation (EU) 2018/1240 was adopted on 12 September 2018 and entered into force on 9 October 2018.
Old 04-08-2021, 13:18   #1872
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I presume you're not buying anything from the US in that case, as they also charge for an ESTA ? Or, for that matter, any other country that charges an entry fee.

You're coming across like a spoilt child.
We didn't leave the US.

Old 04-08-2021, 13:53   #1873
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Quote:
The European Commission has offered free travel for UK travellers who go to EU countries for short stays, as long as the UK agrees to do the same for EU nationals. If the UK accepts this offer, it will still be necessary to complete the ETIAS application though there would not be a fee.

The European Commission has said the EU’s offer was “entirely conditional upon the UK also granting reciprocal and non-discriminatory visa-free travel for all EU member states.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 15:07   #1874
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

From 2023.
Old 04-08-2021, 15:10   #1875
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
We didn't leave the US.
Aaah i see, so we're back to the we don't want to be part of your organisation BUT we do want to retain the same benefits that we had whilst being a member?

Are you that delusional ???