Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
Closed Thread

Old 22-07-2021, 15:08   #931
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
SkyQ online service has been rumoured for years, very unlikely to happen at all according to SkyQ forum.
It's happening documents are there it's just a matter of when it's happening, it's certainly being tested in house.
But then again this is Comcast we're talking about who tend to scrap good ideas lol.

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
IIRC Virgin Media is currently testing a service to bring many streaming services together under a single umbrella for its subscribers.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...t-service.html
Yeah some of you might laugh and say "Legendkiller has lost his marbles the heat is getting to him." but one to watch is Pluto tv, especially now Viacom own them.
Old 22-07-2021, 18:22   #932
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
It's happening documents are there it's just a matter of when it's happening, it's certainly being tested in house.
But then again this is Comcast we're talking about who tend to scrap good ideas lol.

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

Yeah some of you might laugh and say "Legendkiller has lost his marbles the heat is getting to him." but one to watch is Pluto tv, especially now Viacom own them.
Don't you mean ViacomCBS?

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Comcast to buy ViacomCBS?

Quote:
Those initial meetings paved the way to more wide-ranging conversations about other ways the two media companies might work together — talks that sources say could lead to some combination of Comcast’s NBCUniversal unit and ViacomCBS. No formal offers have been made.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnchm...h=757fbcc11056

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Missing Eurosport UHD on Virgin UK Channel 523 - not on TiVo boxes

Try this:

Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > I'm missing some channels, and give it perhaps 15 minutes to do the necessary update.

Sources: Virgin Media Forum and japitts
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 22-07-2021, 18:32   #933
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Don't you mean ViacomCBS?

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

Comcast to buy ViacomCBS?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dawnchm...h=757fbcc11056

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Missing Eurosport UHD on Virgin UK Channel 523 - not on TiVo boxes

Try this:

Home > Help & Settings > Help > TV Care > I'm missing some channels, and give it perhaps 15 minutes to do the necessary update.

Sources: Virgin Media Forum and japitts
Yeah lol i'm used to calling them Viacom, old habits.
Old 22-07-2021, 20:10   #934
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

What's the point on Ch523 showing on Tivo?

V6 (which runs TiVo, I know) is UHD capable bit Original VM TiVo isn't.

Usually when someone says TiVo on a VM related forum they mean original flavour, not V6.

Yeah, I know I'm being pedantic, but sometimes you have to be to stop others being confused.
Old 22-07-2021, 20:15   #935
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

Usually when someone says TiVo on a VM related forum they mean original flavour, not V6.

Yeah, I know I'm being pedantic, but sometimes you have to be to stop others being confused.
Virgin Media UHD also appeared on TiVo boxes.
Old 22-07-2021, 21:16   #936
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Virgin Media UHD also appeared on TiVo boxes.
Does it show the UHD picture downscaled or is it blank?
Old 22-07-2021, 21:18   #937
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It goes by the channel number when you get to Virgin Media UHD. It look like an channel you do not pay for on the EPG listings.
Old 22-07-2021, 21:18   #938
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Tbf back then NOW didn't exist, it'll be a different ball game this time around especially with the rumoured SKYQ online service too.

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

Imho i think VMs tv days may be numbered, they will concentrate more on the broadband they're already testing 3gbs speeds.

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Get a fire tv stick if you can NOWTV is on them now and you get access to more apps including plex which is great if you have stuff you purchased on a computer or even home videos etc you can view on your tv without need to run leads across.
Oh yes, it's a whole different ball game these days; that's why I think this claim is plausible.
Old 22-07-2021, 21:52   #939
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
To encourage people to upgrade?
Old 22-07-2021, 22:21   #940
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

I guess there is no way of marking the channels to stop them showing on the Tivo. Which makes sense as there wouldn't have been UHD channels when the Tivo firmware was written. New channel markers should be possible but would need a firmware update. UHD channels will be greyed out on the EPG as will any channel not included in the subscription.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Quote:
Oh yes, it's a whole different ball game these days; that's why I think this claim is plausible.
Plausible if Sky want to lose wholesale income from other providers along with reduced advertising income for a lower reach. But why would they want to lose that income?

---------- Post added at 22:21 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Quote:
If selected from the EPG it will come up with the prompt it displays for any channel not subscribed. If selected by channel number it will display an error message saying something like channel not available or a subscription may be required. The old boxes aren't capable of decoding HEVC, so downscaling the picture isn't an option.
Old 22-07-2021, 22:51   #941
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I remember before I got a V+ HD box, the only HD channel at the time didn't show up at all (BBC HD on channel 108).
Old 22-07-2021, 23:09   #942
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I remember before I got a V+ HD box, the only HD channel at the time didn't show up at all (BBC HD on channel 108).
I think the reason behind showing them on legacy boxes now is to give you a taste of what you are missing and would maybe entice some to upgrade or re contract
Old 22-07-2021, 23:35   #943
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

[QUOTE=epsilon;36087288]

[/COLOR]
Plausible if Sky want to lose wholesale income from other providers along with reduced advertising income for a lower reach. But why would they want to lose that income?[COLOR="Silver"]

People said the same about Disney moving everything to their own platform, oh look what happened.
NOWTV which is SKY is widely available much more widely than Virgin Media is, SKY are already getting around ad revenue loss by having adverts on NOWTV VOD unless you upgrade to boost (kerching). It's happening maybe VM will go BTs route and provide the NOWTV service instead.
VM are going to focus more on faster broadband speeds and the tv will eventually be dropped one thinks.
Old 23-07-2021, 00:14   #944
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
People said the same about Disney moving everything to their own platform, oh look what happened.
NOWTV which is SKY is widely available much more widely than Virgin Media is, SKY are already getting around ad revenue loss by having adverts on NOWTV VOD unless you upgrade to boost (kerching). It's happening maybe VM will go BTs route and provide the NOWTV service instead.
VM are going to focus more on faster broadband speeds and the tv will eventually be dropped one thinks.
Difference with Disney was that most of the content they made was on other broadcasters channels, closing their own channels didn't make much difference. Sky, until they started investing heavily in their own content, broadcast a lot of content on their channels that they didn't make. Outside of Sport I wouldn't be surprised if the most popular content on Sky channels is still the stuff they get from other providers, the Sky-branded productions rarely get talked about by people I know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
To encourage people to upgrade?
MB mentioned the "how to get missing channels" method in the post above mine, I wasn't really thinking about greyed out channels when I said what I did, I was thinking about what the point of mentioning that method was if the box wasn't even listing it since all it would solve is adding an additional greyednout line on the EPG.

I agree encouraging to upgrade is a reason for a greyed out listing on an incapable box.

I'm not sure if I'm wording any of this properly, I'm literally yawning as I type this. Apologies if it's nonsense.
Old 23-07-2021, 06:25   #945
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Plausible if Sky want to lose wholesale income from other providers along with reduced advertising income for a lower reach. But why would they want to lose that income?
BT had recordable IPTV stream boxes on their system so the conversion was seamless. That's not really the case for Virgin where new boxes would probably be required to record IPTV streams. Even with a basic Now TV app would be unlikely to be added to original flavour Tivo models which, probably, still make up a significant proportion of the boxes on Virgin's network.

As I've said on another forum, withdrawal of a significant number of channels would be a significant blow to Virgin's tv platform. Coupled with a loss of subscription income, would they really invest in supplying new boxes just to act as an income collector for Sky?

NOW is hardly on the same scale as Disney, it just doesn't have as much to offer. It would be a very risky move for Sky to stop providing their channels to third parties if the NOW provision is the only alternative.

However, this is currently a rumour from an unnamed source. I'll not worry about it unless and until the usual reliable industry sources make similar reports.

---------- Post added at 06:25 ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 ----------

Quote:
Difference with Disney was that most of the content they made was on other broadcasters channels, closing their own channels didn't make much difference. Sky, until they started investing heavily in their own content, broadcast a lot of content on their channels that they didn't make. Outside of Sport I wouldn't be surprised if the most popular content on Sky channels is still the stuff they get from other providers, the Sky-branded productions rarely get talked about by people I know.
Sky seem to get most of their bought in content from NBC and CBS, so an NBCUniversal / ViacomCBS merger with a combined streaming service would be a significant change to the playing field. Although combining the NBC and CBS networks in the USA isn't going to get regulatory approval.
Closed Thread