Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes on the High Street

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Changes on the High Street

Old 06-01-2018, 14:58   #16
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: House of Fraser in trouble...

I must admit I'm an old fogey . . I always have a preference to see and feel things I want to buy in order to judge better if they're worth it. Obviously this means that online shopping is not something I take to easily.

I guess it's fine for those who are willing to wait a week for a purchase to arrive, and then have the calm and forgiving attitude required to return said item if it's wrong or damaged when (if) it arrives.

yes yes yes, change with the times you old luddite but we seem to be throwing experienced and helpful retail staff onto the dole and replacing them by an ever growing army of low paid (or self employed) delivery drivers working to tight schedules.

goodbye high street shopping . . hello night clubs, pound shops, and fast food take-aways
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2018, 11:59   #17
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

At the other end of the price spectrum, New Look is not looking good either.
Quote:
New Look’s precarious finances are set to come under more pressure after the withdrawal of credit insurance to many of its suppliers.
The development is a further blow for the ailing fashion retailer, which is struggling with falling sales and a debt burden of more than £1bn.
The chain’s deepening woes come at a bleak time on the high street. Debenhams saw its market value drop by almost a fifth last week after it issued a Christmas profit warning, while House of Fraser confirmed that it had been forced to ask some of its landlords for rent cuts.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/b...over-cmmzxj60k
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 12:42   #18
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes it certainly does not look good for New Look that is for sure.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:36   #19
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Yes it certainly does not look good for New Look that is for sure.
Quote:
New Look, the fashion retailer, is weighing a plan to close about 10% of its British stores in another sign of the tumult facing the high street.

Sky News has learnt that the South African-owned chain is drawing up proposals for a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA), a process often used by struggling retailers to restructure financial obligations to creditors.

Sources said on Thursday night that New Look's CVA plan was not yet finalised and was only one of a number of options under consideration.

A decision about whether to proceed is expected to be t‎aken in the coming weeks, and would require the consent of bondholders.

If it does go ahead with the store closures, roughly one-tenth of New Look's nearly-600 outlets in Britain would be axed, with sizeable rent reductions sought at many of the remaining shops.
Source
Old 12-01-2018, 11:46   #20
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Expect more High Street casualties as the weeks go on..
Old 12-01-2018, 17:18   #21
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I remember once shopping in a House of Fraser, about 30 years ago - they were expensive, and I never used them again.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 17:35   #22
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I remember once shopping in a House of Fraser, about 30 years ago - they were expensive, and I never used them again.
The internet has changed everything as we all know as High Street business models which worked before are now looking archaic in comparison to their swift online competitor's who have nothing like the overheads the High Street chains have and they don't have inflexible leases or increasing rents either to deal with.
Old 12-01-2018, 22:59   #23
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, last year I spent over £1,800.

But easily saved £500, over shops.

But having Amazon Prime I can order for next day delivery, which is great for mid week.
Old 30-01-2018, 11:48   #24
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Expect more High Street casualties as the weeks go on..
Another one in trouble:

Quote:
Originally Posted by
The Sun

High Street fashion chain East has gone into administration putting 314 jobs at risk.

The retailer, which first opened its doors in London in 1994, has 34 stores and 15 department store concessions around the UK.

The womenswear chain initially fell into administration in June 2015 but it was rescued by Indian chain store, Fabindia

It closed 15 stores and five concessions in a pre-pack deal.

But a tough trading environment had lead to administrators being called in less than a year later.

The shop remains open while they evaluate options for selling the business.
It's only a small one this time but symptomatic of the hard times for the high street.
Old 30-01-2018, 12:05   #25
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Another one in trouble:

It's only a small one this time but symptomatic of the hard times for the high street.
And sadly those times are likely to get harder.
Old 30-01-2018, 13:16   #26
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Another one in trouble:

An even bigger shock is that The Sun missed the chance to say East has gone West after its profits went South.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 14:17   #27
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
An even bigger shock is that The Sun missed the chance to say East has gone West after its profits went South.
Probably couldn't work out how to get North in.
Old 30-01-2018, 15:39   #28
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Probably couldn't work out how to get North in.
An even bigger shock is that neither I nor The Sun took the chance to say East has gone West after its profits went South .
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 15:40   #29
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, last year I spent over £1,800.

But having Amazon Prime I can order for next day delivery, which is great for mid week.
I do pretty much the same, at least half (if not more) of my orders are from Amazon - not only do I save money anyway, but I also get a discount on amazon vouchers through work, making them even cheaper. Its all delivered to me as well, saving on fuel and parking expenses.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 11:14   #30
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Quote from The Independent:

Marks & Spencer has announced the closure of up to 14 stores, with 468 jobs affected.

The retailer said the closures were part of M&S's strategy to downsize its clothing & home offering to focus more on food.

The retailer said six stores will close by the end of April: Birkenhead, Bournemouth, Durham, Fforestfach, Putney and Redditch, with all staff moving to nearby stores.

A further eight stores are proposed for closure: Andover, Basildon, Bridlington, Denton (Outlet), Falmouth, Fareham, Keighley and Stockport.

M&S said it will now consult employees in these branches about their future. The company did not confirm how long that process would take.

If the stores do close, staff would be offered the chance to move to other stores before redundancy is considered, M&S said in a statement.

Martin Lane, managing editor of personal finance site money.co.uk said the news was distressing for M&S employees but warned of further redundancies ahead at high-street retailers.

“This is the third time in a matter of weeks we’ve heard of job cuts impacting some of the UK’s biggest stores," he said.
Looks like they've admitted they can't compete in the clothes market.