Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Mobile UK Moves to Scrap Pay As You Go Packages

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Virgin Mobile UK Moves to Scrap Pay As You Go Packages

Old 18-07-2021, 23:58   #31
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Mobile UK Moves to Scrap Pay As You Go Packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
How much data do you get for £3.95 a month as it doesn't seem to say? That looks to be a very good deal as the cheapest that I could find (also with Lebara) worked out at £4.38 a month for 3GB for the first year (£5 per month, with the first 3 months at half price on a one month rolling contract).

Depending on how much data you get it looks like it would be better to use my deal for 3 months then your deal thereafter.

For the moment, 1p Mobile suits me though as this costs £2.50 a month and covers what I need. If my phone/data use increased I would certainly reevaluate the situation.

I did take into account that their data is expensive when used on the odd occasion, but this would be paid for out of credit that would just be sat there doing nothing.

If you take this into account and factor in that any data used is in effect subsidising the cost of the very cheap calls/texts, I still find it to be good value.

It all depends on how much you use your phone and whether this is for data/texts/calls as to which is better for each individual user.

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:19 ----------

Oh, this looks to be a brilliant product.

If I get one of these could I put it into my dual SIM phone and only start to use up my 1p Mobile credit when I've exhausted my free monthly data allowance?

Do they warn you when you're about to use up your free allowance? If they don't, perhaps this is how they earn their money.
It looks to be 1GB for the £3.95 plan, so ideal for low users. For a little more it's possible to get a lot more data though.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-07-2021, 15:15   #32
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Depends how much data you need. I have one of these in my car so it can fetch traffic info. Costs me absolutely nothing. They don't even spam me to try to get me to upgrade.
My SIM came today, it was very quick and, as you said, they have no payment details so can't charge anything!

This will be really useful for when my BB or 1p Mobile ever goes down and is enough for now, but how do you obtain up to 4 more (for if/when I can leave the house). I didn't see an option for more than one.

I feel a lot less vulnerable to outages where I may need to ring 999 now- thank you SP.
Old 20-07-2021, 16:27   #33
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Have you activated your new SIM? I found this was a bit of a pain because you can only do it while connected to their network but I had no signal at home.

Quote:
This will be really useful for when my BB or 1p Mobile ever goes down and is enough for now, but how do you obtain up to 4 more (for if/when I can leave the house). I didn't see an option for more than one.
I'm pretty sure I saw in the small print somewhere that you can have up to 5. I can't find it now, but it might have been in the paperwork that came with the SIM - can you check? I've just ordered another one as a test. What's the worst that can happen?

Quote:
I feel a lot less vulnerable to outages where I may need to ring 999 now- thank you SP.
You can ring 999 (or 112) without a SIM anyway. Especially useful if you are out of range of your own operator but can get a signal on a different network.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 12:53   #34
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I've just ordered another one as a test
Test passed!

I still can't find where it says you can have up to 5 but I'm sure I didn't imagine it. But I have just noticed you have to use them every 6 months to keep them active, so I'll need to swap periodically
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2021, 12:56   #35
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

There’s a limit of five Data Reward SIM cards per household and Three reserves the right to withdraw or amend the free data offer at any time. Half way down the page on your link
Old 23-07-2021, 22:23   #36
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Yeah. Though how much can be attributed to the backlash, and how much was because news accidentally came out during the the early Covid days where people needed to stay connected and it would've looked even worse, who knows?

Previous thread -> https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33709154

There was also that it looked like they were only giving a month's notice to act, which was ridiculous.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:56 ----------

Exactly. Though O2 arm probably want rid of PayG too, so would want to encourage them to other product types.
This comment lasted well!

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...e-tariffs.html
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2021, 17:30   #37
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
LOL

Top-ups only lasting 30 days isn't proper PAYG as far as I'm concerned. £10 a month and you'd be better with a no-contract SIM-only deal.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2021, 18:06   #38
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Have you activated your new SIM? I found this was a bit of a pain because you can only do it while connected to their network but I had no signal at home.

I'm pretty sure I saw in the small print somewhere that you can have up to 5. I can't find it now, but it might have been in the paperwork that came with the SIM - can you check? I've just ordered another one as a test. What's the worst that can happen?

You can ring 999 (or 112) without a SIM anyway. Especially useful if you are out of range of your own operator but can get a signal on a different network.
That's good to know Re: 999- thanks. I haven't yet registered it, no.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:
Test passed!

I still can't find where it says you can have up to 5 but I'm sure I didn't imagine it. But I have just noticed you have to use them every 6 months to keep them active, so I'll need to swap periodically
Well spotted. I might as well not register the SIMs until I need them then. You probably didn't come across this before because your car will obviously use them at least once every 6 months.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
LOL

Top-ups only lasting 30 days isn't proper PAYG as far as I'm concerned. £10 a month and you'd be better with a no-contract SIM-only deal.
Exactly what I thought too.
Old 28-07-2021, 10:47   #39
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

I've found the Max of 5 SIMs clause, it's in your original link under 'What else do I need to know'?