Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Welsh required for jobs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Welsh required for jobs

Old 12-07-2021, 15:12   #31
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Welsh required for jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
You wrote:

Quite easy you do not try to force people to learn a language for a job.

and then go on to wriggle out of it
No I did not try to wriggle anywhere . I stand by that statement

There I said it again

But I will also add the rest which you conveniently decided not to repeat

Saying no one can work here who only speaks English (which you all speak) is no different to saying no women or no men. It is discriminatory
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2021, 15:26   #32
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'm pretty certain that if it genuinely was "discrimination" then the Equalities and Human Rights Commission would be all over it.

I presume they're not? That's because it isn't discrimination.
Equality and Human Rights Commission, Article 14.

Quote:
Discrimination occurs when you are treated less favourably than another person in a similar situation and this treatment cannot be objectively and reasonably justified.
What type of discrimination does the Act protect you from?The Human Rights Act makes it illegal to discriminate on a wide range of grounds including ‘sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status’.
Does the right cover indirect discrimination?The courts have also ruled that the human rights protection from discrimination includes indirect discrimination. This occurs when a rule or policy, supposedly applying to everyone equally, actually works to the disadvantage of one or more groups. For example, a requirement that all employees be over six feet tall may be indirect discrimination. Women and some disabled people will be disadvantaged and to be justified this would need to be a strict requirement for the job.
Immigration Act 2016
Quote:
77English language requirements for public sector workers
(1)A public authority must ensure that each person who works for the public authority in a customer-facing role speaks fluent English.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:29   #33
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Presumably, the Welsh Government's lawyers are confident that a requirement to speak Welsh can be objectively and reasonably justified.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:33   #34
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Thanks, although I'm not exactly sure why you posted that? It doesn't really have anything to do with what I said.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
No I did not try to wriggle anywhere . I stand by that statement

There I said it again

But I will also add the rest which you conveniently decided not to repeat

Saying no one can work here who only speaks English (which you all speak) is no different to saying no women or no men. It is discriminatory
It isn't, otherwise the Equalities people would be all over it by now.

From the article:

Quote:
It said, although Welsh-language skills will progressively be needed for more posts, "developing a bilingual workforce does not mean (or imply) those skills being a universal pre-requisite for joining the Welsh government".
You're simply overreacting on a massive scale.

Vote #AnyoneButTory

Last edited by Russ; 12-07-2021 at 15:37.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:39   #35
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Thanks, although I'm not exactly sure why you posted that? It doesn't really have anything to do with what I said.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

It isn't, otherwise the Equalities people would be all over it by now.

From the article:

You're simply overreacting on a massive scale.
just posting my opinion. None of it matters to me personally
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:43   #36
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Well over 75% in Wales do not speak Welsh. So is this "jobs for the boyos" ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-57776429
There’s nothing in the list of requirements that anyone brought up in the Welsh education system shouldn’t be able to do already. To be honest anyone from outside Wales committed to living and working there ought to be able to get themselves in a position to do all of that within six months. As a club committee member at a Welsh university in the 1990s I, and all my English contemporaries, learned “poster Welsh” pretty quickly so we could advertise dates and locations of our meetings bilingually on campus. I’m not sure what the controversy is here.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 15:45   #37
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Exactly, there is no discrimination. There'll always be people who do their best to go looking for some where there is none but they won't have any luck with this.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 17:48   #38
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

The Welsh Assembly (I refuse to refer to them as a Gov*****nt) and some Welsh local authorities have been doing this unofficially for a while. My wife works in social services, she has done a mixture of permanent and contract work over the past few years in England and Wales, and a contract working directly for the Welsh Assembly.

She was told by one large local authority whom she had worked for previously that, it was expected of her to speak or learn Welsh, and they offered her to attend an evening class. She refused, she pointed out that she already spoke five or six languages, most of them fluently. She also pointed out that where she was born English and Afrikaans was taught in school, and tribal/local languages were taught at home.

She also pointed out that as she had previous experience of the department and the job role, she was well aware that learning Welsh was a waste and that one of the Indian/Pakstani languages or east European would be more beneficial to the job role. They still employed her, it's all about supply and demand, she would have just taken a contract elsewhere.

Social services in Wales are crying out for qualified people, so I can't see them terminating anyone's contract because they accept the job and then refuse to learn Welsh, or not employ them because they refuse to learn it. They can't afford to take that approach, If they do, they will be in more of a mess than they are now.
Old 16-07-2021, 23:46   #39
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

There’s a good deal of ambiguity there though … was she expected to become fluent? That’s clearly a waste of time and flies in the face of reality. It’s also not what’s being demanded in this case, which really only amounts to an ability to affirm someone’s right to initiate contact with a government agency in their first language. Seeing as it was government policy that almost drove the language to extinction in the first place, I don’t think it’s too much to ask.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2021, 16:08   #40
Escapee
cf.mega poster

Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array
Escapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze arrayEscapee has a bronze array

She was asked to attend evening classes, I don't know about the duration of those classes. I don't believe the conversation went that far.

The ability to affirm someone's right to make contact in a language other than English, would surely mean the person knowing enough of the language to direct them to someone fluent who can help with their query. If the requirement is for the person to learn to say parrot fashion, "good morning", "good afternoon" etc then that is surely a pointless exercise. The only thing there being gained then is the nationalists have scored a point. Personally knowing a few Plaid supporters, they are all to keen to point out on social media etc and make a big thing of any slight mistakes being made.

I would disagree that government policy was the only reason that drove the language to extinction, one side of my family were non-Welsh speakers and came here to work in the industry. The other side of the family came here from a Welsh speaking area of North Wales, they didn't teach their children (my grandfather) Welsh because there was no practical point. The language spoken down the mines and other industries in the South East Wales area was English. Presumably it was safer down the mines if everyone spoke the same language. (Like South Africa where they created a common language for use in the mines)

Whilst looking through the national archives a couple of years ago, I came across an article about the school my grandfather attended. The newspaper article was from the early 1900s just before he was born, and it was saying that they were having trouble teaching children Welsh as they were unable to employ any teachers who spoke Welsh.

I can understand parents wanting to teach their children the Welsh language at home, but I cannot see the use of it being taught in school. I was lucky enough to be schooled before compulsory/mandatory (The Welsh nationalists like to point out the difference) Welsh classes, but I did have to suffer the poor offerings of S4C instead of C4 in the analogue terrestrial TV days. The Welsh nationalists were of course very proud of S4C, and would often boast that it was the most expensive programme per viewer to produce in the world.