Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dead sat nav go moblie ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dead sat nav go moblie ?

Old 03-06-2021, 19:20   #1
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Dead sat nav go moblie ?

Really needing to get a new mobile ,keep putting it off . Now my old sat nav has died, thinking new mobile and use for sat nav as well - if l can that is ? Any advice ?. Have a old jeep which i have no intention of changing so none in car !
Old 03-06-2021, 19:31   #2
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Dead sat nav go moblie ?

I use the waze app on my phone or google maps, both free and work fine
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 19:43   #3
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

MAPS.ME

All maps downloaded to 'phone, no requirement for internet connection.
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 20:13   #4
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I use the waze app on my phone or google maps, both free and work fine
So do they act as guide or just a list of twists and turns ie paper route on a phone
Old 03-06-2021, 21:00   #5
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

they work like a sat nav, it shows a map, you input your destination, it shows you the route, then as you drive the arrow shows where you are on the road, and a voice says "exit at the next junction" etc
https://www.waze.com/en-GB/

it's like the software your sat-nav has, but running on your phone. I think the advantage of an actual sat nav is potentially bigger screen, but that's probably it.
admars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 22:09   #6
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

I use Navmii, all the maps are stored on the phone so no need to be connected to the internet while travelling. Just need to keep the gps turned on on the phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...LL&hl=en&gl=US
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:21   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Google Maps works perfectly well as a sat nav. Better than the Tom Tom One I was using previously. You can create custom maps to download to your phone so it's not using data while you're driving. Better, in my view, than other solutions that force you to store an entire UK map on your phone, using up a ton of your storage space. There's little point having the highlands and the far west of Wales and southwest England on your phone unless you ever mean to go there. But if you do plan a trip, you can define and download another map.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:52   #8
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Google Maps works perfectly well as a sat nav. Better than the Tom Tom One I was using previously. You can create custom maps to download to your phone so it's not using data while you're driving. Better, in my view, than other solutions that force you to store an entire UK map on your phone, using up a ton of your storage space. There's little point having the highlands and the far west of Wales and southwest England on your phone unless you ever mean to go there. But if you do plan a trip, you can define and download another map.
plus it is kept up to date pretty much as a new road opens etc
Jaymoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 18:36   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
That so great ,does it have sound needed as l will be driving alone , except for the dogs ! And there reading if flakly .still recall recording route onto cassette !!!. Thanks for your advice guys
Old 04-06-2021, 19:04   #10
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Also if you do have data switched on, Google maps will offer you alternative routes as you go if there's congestion, an accidents etc
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 21:48   #11
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunel View Post
MAPS.ME

All maps downloaded to 'phone, no requirement for internet connection.
google maps can do this too. although an internet connection will give you full live (up to the minute) traffic updates to your application and re-route to avoid congestion.
Old 04-06-2021, 22:00   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
That so great ,does it have sound needed as l will be driving alone , except for the dogs ! And there reading if flakly .still recall recording route onto cassette !!!. Thanks for your advice guys
Yes, it will give you turn-by-turn instructions, or you can set it to speak only important announcements, or you can let it run silent. You can create routes with multiple stopovers (service areas etc), custom start and end points, and you can search and navigate to anything Google can find - one of the most irritating things about TomTom for me was that it seemed a lot of the time they only had locations for businesses that had paid them to be there.

As others have said, while you can download whichever portions of the map you need to save data, if you use Google maps with data on your phone it will use live traffic data to ensure it’s giving you the quickest route for the prevailing conditions, and if there are significant changes during your journey it can update the route for you. On a long drive that can be extremely useful - I once allowed it to route me off the M6, round the west side of Manchester and back on the M6 in Cheshire to avoid a complete closure caused by an accident that it had detected and allowed for a full 20 minutes before it was reported on the radio. The closure would have held me up an hour, the diversion added just half that to the journey.

Also, Google’s traffic data doesn’t just rely on traffic flow monitors installed on trunk roads. It uses real-time speed and location data from other Google maps users, which means you can get very accurate congestion and route timing data for even very minor roads.

Last edited by Chris; 04-06-2021 at 22:05.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 13:29   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I use Google maps along with Amigo TomTom app for free speed cameras on Android.

I really can't see the point of a dedicated Satnav these days.
Old 06-06-2021, 19:07   #14
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Wink Re: Dead sat nav go moblie ?

Quote:
Yes, it will give you turn-by-turn instructions, or you can set it to speak only important announcements, or you can let it run silent. You can create routes with multiple stopovers (service areas etc), custom start and end points, and you can search and navigate to anything Google can find - one of the most irritating things about TomTom for me was that it seemed a lot of the time they only had locations for businesses that had paid them to be there.

As others have said, while you can download whichever portions of the map you need to save data, if you use Google maps with data on your phone it will use live traffic data to ensure it’s giving you the quickest route for the prevailing conditions, and if there are significant changes during your journey it can update the route for you. On a long drive that can be extremely useful - I once allowed it to route me off the M6, round the west side of Manchester and back on the M6 in Cheshire to avoid a complete closure caused by an accident that it had detected and allowed for a full 20 min a rutes before it was reported on the radio. The closure would have held me up an hour, the diversion added just half that to the journey.

Also, Google’s traffic data doesn’t just rely on traffic flow monitors installed on trunk roads. It uses real-time speed and location data from other Google maps users, which means you can get very accurate congestion and route timing data for even very minor roads.
Loóking for guidance only . Never in a rush just have no idea were the road i want would be !
Old 07-06-2021, 10:16   #15
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Shame that the newer satnav models now want you to pair to a phone to get full function. My current TomTom 5200 has a built in SIM so gets all the data and searches directly as well as feeding back any data about traffic to other benefit. I can also leave in the car on it's cradle that provides power unlike a phone you'd take in and out. And no ongoing charge, free map updates etc.

The maps on the in car unit are out of date.