Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Things are finally going right!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Things are finally going right!

Old 17-10-2020, 22:27   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Talking Things are finally going right!

After I lost my job, only 20 days later (thankfully!) I got a new one. The job itself was fine: much easier work, no heavy lifting (lots of light lifting I was well able to cope with), and colleagues who aren't overgrown kids, plus very good pay. The only kicker was the nightmare commute...between Bolton and Sheffield.

Picture it: Bolton to Man Picc; Man Picc to Leeds (after a fair bit of waiting time); Leeds to Thurnscoe (nearest station and more waiting time); cycle ride, 2.5 miles, to ASOS Barnsley/XPO Logistics.

After a week, though, I discovered there's a private bus service between the site and Sheffield, so the commute became a bit easier...but no less expensive, and it still took hours, It was really starting to get to me. Getting home on Sunday morning (night shift was Tue - Sat) was the worst - Sheffield station doesn't even open until 7:30...and the first train to Man Picc isn't till just after 9am. I was getting home at 12pm or later on Sundays, utterly shattered. More than once I nodded off and missed my stop, having to come back from Westhoughton, and not just on Sundays.

However, one of my trainers mentioned a site XPO have at Trafford Park, a much easier and cheaper commute. I looked into this, but after a few weeks when nothing seemed to be happening as regards an official transfer or whatever, I took matters into my own hands - and myself to the site.

This involved a bit of Google research and much use of Maps to work out a train/cycle route via Trafford Park, though my new phone has a very useful map app (I will reluctantly admit I should've got a proper smartphone ages ago, it's just that I hate the damn things and see them as a necessary evil). I talked to Personnel there and explained the situation, i.e. I was very happy with every aspect of the job except one, and could I perhaps come to work here instead?

It worked! Not long after I was invited to an induction, and this Monday I started work at Missguided!

I like the name, it's such a clever pun. And this job's even easier: stock control, i.e. checking contents of cartons in shelf locations: does this carton actually contain 50 crop tops, or 8 hoodies, or 20 white thongs size 14, or are there only 47/7/19 of each?

The best way to get things done these days is to make them happen. So I did. I have cut about 2 hours off my commute and it now costs a third of what it did: Bolton - Man Picc, walk/cycle/tram (dealer's choice) to Picc Gardens, 250 bus to almost the front gate, just 200 or so yards away. Result!
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2020, 22:32   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Things are finally going right!

Well done - pleased it’s all worked out for you.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 22:34   #3
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Is learning to drive an option as it always seems your commute is the problem?
Old 17-10-2020, 22:35   #4
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

So ... things are finally going right, but is that because of the new location, or because you get to rummage through crates of thongs?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 22:36   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So ... things are finally going right, but is that because of the new location, or because you get to rummage through crates of thongs?
Old 18-10-2020, 00:40   #6
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Glad to see thongs are looking up for you........
Old 19-10-2020, 18:20   #7
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Driving's out. I don't want to know. In a previous job they had us driving 3.5 ton delivery vans, learning to back them onto delivery bays, but I could not get the hang of it. Driving's like flying: you need to have a feel for it. Some people do, some don't. I don't. Besides, I've had my fill of accidents just on a bike.
Old 20-10-2020, 11:03   #8
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No, it's just the location; the vast majority of clothes I've dealt with up to press have been tops, leggings and T-shirts. Thongs have been very seldom as yet, and now you've got me doing it!

Can't help but remember Pinocchio in one of the Shrek films; he states, "I'm wearing women's underwear"...and nothing happens re his nose.

"You mean you are wearing women's underwear?" Donkey asks.

"I most certainly am not!" (nose grows!)

"You most certainly am are!"

"Am not!" (nose grows again!)

"What kind?" Puss inquires.

"It's a THONG!" cries Gingerbread Man.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:33   #9
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Thumbs down Re: Things are finally going right!

Unfortunately the thread title is now inaccurate...because we have now returned to the scheduled programme called My Sucky Life. Due to low work volume about a dozen agency staff have been laid off...including me.

Here we go again...

On a slightly brighter note, apparently my Universal Credit claim is still being processed - I thought it was odd when I didn't get anything, but it seems I will in 2 days' time. For the current situation I just had to submit a 'change of circumstances' form and start looking for work again.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:31   #10
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Never give up!

I totally agree with you. The best way to get things done is to get on and do it.
It only takes a few moments to ask and if you don't ask you'll never know.

I wish you luck in finding something soon but it sounds like you definitely have the right attitude and will get there.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:35   #11
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Actually I've been invited to an induction for Hermes in Warrington this afternoon, so hopefully I'll be in work again soon!
Old 10-12-2020, 11:04   #12
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Actually I've been invited to an induction for Hermes in Warrington this afternoon, so hopefully I'll be in work again soon!
Good luck Anonymouse.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:22   #13
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Good luck. You'll no doubt be taught the Hermes way of treating fragile packages.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:41   #14
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Good luck. You'll no doubt be taught the Hermes way of treating fragile packages.
A bit like tossing the caber
Old 10-12-2020, 22:30   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Tell them that you used to love knocking on people's doors and running away when you were a child and that you never grew out of it.....you're sure to get a job with them
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote