Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:49   #7246
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

There’s no mechanism to stop UK state pensions for anyone entitled to one living abroad, whether in the EU or not. What may change is that it no longer rises each year. The way around this for many immigrants who left the UK will be to use a UK address of a family member.

Last edited by jfman; 03-02-2019 at 12:55.
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2019, 13:04   #7247
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Doubtless, other factors alongside Brexit will be cited but given the current threat of no-deal, I defy any company to invest billions right now.

[url]https://news.sky.com/story/nissan-casts-further-gloom-on-car-industry-with-x-trail-blow-11625885
Just confirmed now.

https://twitter.com/SunderlandEcho/status/1092029191044956161

I hope the workers are ok. Whatever 'side' you're on in this no one wants to see job losses.
Old 03-02-2019, 13:08   #7248
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There’s no mechanism to stop UK state pensions for anyone entitled to one living abroad, whether in the EU or not. What may change is that it no longer rises each year. The way around this for many immigrants who left the UK will be to use a UK address of a family member.
I think this would be illegal ..
Old 03-02-2019, 13:27   #7249
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Probably, but almost undetectable as long as the mail is delivered to the address given.
Old 03-02-2019, 14:10   #7250
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Spain & Argentina, to name two.

Varadkar's lot as per this article 31-Jan behind the Torygraph paywall: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...p-anglophobia/
Partial extract from publicly available piece:

One hundred years ago, a small group of newly elected MPs met at the Mansion House in Dublin to declare Irish independence. Curiously, the passion that existed in Ireland back then for the inalienable right of nations to self-determination finds no contemporary echo when it comes to understanding the impulses that led to Brexit.

On the contrary, the Taoiseach, Leo Varadkar, may have used the recent centenary of that First Dail to laud the aspiration to a “free, independent and democratic state”, but he shamelessly did so while asserting that it now finds its fullest expression in, and is best achieved through, membership of the EU. It’s a telling indication of where the Irish public mood stands...

The rest of the article is very clear about how the public in general feel and go along with Varadkar's perfidious behaviour, which will be to the detriment of their exports.

You seem to have difficulty discerning the difference between liberation from an occupying country who had stolen the land from the natives and then suppressed their rights because of their religion (Irish Independence from Britain) and being part of a larger economic group of countries which support each other.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 03-02-2019, 14:17   #7251
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Just confirmed now.

https://twitter.com/SunderlandEcho/s...29191044956161

I hope the workers are ok. Whatever 'side' you're on in this no one wants to see job losses.
There are no job losses, this was about investment and job creation. The X-Trail which 100% made in japan was to be made here, announced 3 years ago.

However, no that Japan has got its FTA with the EU that isn’t so urgent now. They will cite Brexit for their reasoning and probably is a factor, but not the whole reason

---------- Post added at 13:17 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
and being part of a larger economic group of countries which support each other.
If it was just that, there wouldn’t be an issue
Old 03-02-2019, 14:28   #7252
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Yes, it would clearly be benefit fraud to claim to be living elsewhere in order to obtain higher payments from the welfare state. Unfortunately, as my earlier link showed, sick & disabled people wouldn't even continue to receive frozen payments.

A lot of disabled people go to live abroad as the warmer climate is better for various conditions (sometimes on doctors advice). If I decided to do this it looks like i'd have to obtain an Irish passport to be able to move to Spain. I have friends in India, so maybe I could go there if there are no longer any advantages to moving to an EU country and my benefits would be stopped anyway. It's a lot cheaper to live, but I don't know what the Indian healthcare system is like- do you?
Old 03-02-2019, 14:35   #7253
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You seem to have difficulty discerning the difference between liberation from an occupying country who had stolen the land from the natives and then suppressed their rights because of their religion (Irish Independence from Britain) and being part of a larger economic group of countries which support each other.
Not at all. I see what is before me now. The rest of what you about Britain being an "occupying country" reinforces what I've said.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 03-02-2019, 14:38   #7254
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Yes, it would clearly be benefit fraud to claim to be living elsewhere in order to obtain higher payments from the welfare state. Unfortunately, as my earlier link showed, sick & disabled people wouldn't even continue to receive frozen payments.

A lot of disabled people go to live abroad as the warmer climate is better for various conditions (sometimes on doctors advice). If I decided to do this it looks like i'd have to obtain an Irish passport to be able to move to Spain. I have friends in India, so maybe I could go there if there are no longer any advantages to moving to an EU country and my benefits would be stopped anyway. It's a lot cheaper to live, but I don't know what the Indian healthcare system is like- do you?
That would only work if your benefits and Pension came from Ireland. They are "transported" from one EU country to another EU country.
Old 03-02-2019, 14:52   #7255
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

State pension has different rules on residency because it’s based on contributions. Someone in theory has to have paid in to get out.
Old 03-02-2019, 15:19   #7256
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Not at all. I see what is before me now. The rest of what you about Britain being an "occupying country" reinforces what I've said.
So, The English didn’t invade Ireland, dispossess the local Catholic land-owners, confiscate their land, put absentee English landlords in their place and bring in Scottish and English settlers, and in the 17th Century kill, or exile (as slaves), half the population?

That must have another Ireland, then...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 03-02-2019, 16:04   #7257
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So, The English didn’t invade Ireland, dispossess the local Catholic land-owners, confiscate their land, put absentee English landlords in their place and bring in Scottish and English settlers, and in the 17th Century kill, or exile (as slaves), half the population?

That must have another Ireland, then...
Which all goes to prove my point that the/many Irish still are antagonistic towards Britain, including the non-native Irish Varadkar.

Anyway, by your analogy we can stretch to the various invaders of England in the days before Kirk Douglas (to coin a phrase from Porridge).

My advice is at your risk.
Old 03-02-2019, 16:39   #7258
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
That would only work if your benefits and Pension came from Ireland. They are "transported" from one EU country to another EU country.
Thats true, this is why i'm saying that if I were to lose my benefits anyway, i'm no longer confined to having to go to an EU country. India is dirt cheap to live and most speak English, but it's their healthcare system that might put me off.

---------- Post added at 15:39 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Quote:
State pension has different rules on residency because it’s based on contributions. Someone in theory has to have paid in to get out.
ESA is also based on contributions, but there doesn't appear to be any special concession for the sick/disabled to permanently claim it abroad (if we leave without a deal). It's important that I continue to receive this as it awards NI credits for my state pension (I don't pay NI contributions via the income from my job.)
Old 03-02-2019, 16:49   #7259
jfman
Architect of Ideas

ESA is based on contributions for 12 months after which it’s means tested. There’s no reason to continue to pay means tested benefits in this country for anyone resident overseas.
Old 03-02-2019, 17:05   #7260
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
ESA is based on contributions for 12 months after which it’s means tested. There’s no reason to continue to pay means tested benefits in this country for anyone resident overseas.
Incorrect, Contribution Based ESA (now called New Style ESA) can be paid indefinitely to some claimants. Income Based ESA is gradually being phased out and claimants moved over to Universal Credit (UC). For those where ESA does stop, UC can be paid whilst abroad for between 1 and 6 months.

Payment of means tested benefits whilst abroad has never been available on a permanent basis as they are funded from general taxation. It's believed that the taxpayer should not have to fund people who don't live in this country. Whilst I agree with this, it's annoying that EU migrants (usually Poles in my experience) can come here and claim Child Benefit etc for their offspring back home.
Closed Thread