Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Mobile Security

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Virgin Mobile Security

Old 31-03-2018, 20:14   #1
chrispy2000
cf.addict

Services: Maxit,V6, BB 100Mb, Virgin Mobile
chrispy2000 is on a distinguished roadchrispy2000 is on a distinguished road
Angry Virgin Mobile Security

I've just changed my sim only plan and ended up speaking to 3 different people. Now time I had to give them details for security, number, full name and certain characters from my password. Now obviously the answers to the first 2 are always going to be the same. But you would have thought that for the last question they would ask you for different characters but each person asked me for the same three.
I would have thought this is not very good security if they always ask for the same 3
chrispy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2018, 20:49   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Mobile Security

The system probably tells them which 3 to ask for and doesn't give them the full password.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:23   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

There is an issue with asking for different characters in that it can be used to build up the whole password. Asking for the same characters (in a time period) makes it less likely.
Old 03-04-2018, 17:22   #4
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Good point. I've often wondered why my bank does this.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 14:17   #5
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

We have two phones and they are both in my wifes name, so every time i want to talk to Virgin, i have to do it through her. It's a total pain and she can never remember her password, so always has to go through the process of changing it. Then virgin will pass us on to another department and we have to do the password again.

Another thing that is a total pain is that everything we have with Virgin are all in my wife's maiden name. We've asked to change it to her married name loads of times over the years and they've said they've changed it lots of times, but never have. We've been married 17 years !
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 23:48   #6
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
There is an issue with asking for different characters in that it can be used to build up the whole password. Asking for the same characters (in a time period) makes it less likely.
Interesting viewpoint, but it effectively means you have a 2 character password and once someone has overheard those two characters, they effectively have the password.

First Direct (the only company I know of to truly understand the meaning of excellent service) also have a 2 character system, but the characters do differ with most calls.

Not criticising tweetiepooh of course, I appreciate them posting VM's viewpoint.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:01   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12noon View Post
Another thing that is a total pain is that everything we have with Virgin are all in my wife's maiden name. We've asked to change it to her married name loads of times over the years and they've said they've changed it lots of times, but never have. We've been married 17 years !
The process was recently updated to allow Virgin Mobile customers to advise of a name change via an email process

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...-Media-account

Appreciate you've tried multiple times, but it may be worth a shot.