Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON

Old 27-05-2020, 14:24   #1
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road
VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON

Does anyone here have any info about VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON?

RFoG as most of us know is simply a stepping stone technology and it does appear that xPON is cheaper and faster in the long run. It also consumes less power as you don't have a need for as much active kit in the field.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-05-2020, 20:48   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: VM/O2's plans to move from RFoG to xPON

RFog doesnt cost virgin money as the power is from the customers house.

xPON would need different hardware for broadband and the TV service is not compatible with XPON as it uses RF
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 22:57   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

yeah, I think there is a lot of growth in RFoG for VM yet.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 16:07   #4
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

VM plans to upgrade the whole of its network from DOCSIS 3.0 to 3.1 by the end of 2021, and 3.1 can extend RFoG networks with increased spectrum and higher modulation. So, VM is not necessarily in a rush to move to xPON.

In 2019 VM ran a field trial of symetrical DPoE over existing RFoG with an ARRIS E6000 edge router in the hub site but we never heard what was the outcome.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 18:50   #5
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

xPON is being looked as is a load of other stuff.

But with DOCSIS looking at delivering 10G I can’t see them moving away from that architecture any time soon.
Old 31-05-2020, 22:39   #6
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

If the competition got competent and targeted VM's use of a jittertastic protocol vs the much more latency friendly DSL and FTTP technology then I'm sure VM would cack their pants a little if it meant looking bad for gaming.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 23:59   #7
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Good Evening All

Just looking for some thoughts on Virgin HFC or FTTP For gaming & Videos steaming like prime

We have the two options available to us, We will be dropping the TV service at the end of our contact in August with Virgin as we have Amazon Prime & Plex so will just need broadband and mobile sims from them Or BT
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 00:52   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Would someone like to translate RFoG & xPON into English .....

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 14:15   #9
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

RfoG - fibre optic cables are installed into people's homes replacing the existing coax cables (if installed) then the signals get converted using existing modems and set top boxes.

This is a cheaper method for companies using existing equipment, but still requires lots of street cabinets and heavy maintenance costs.

Xpon - fibre cables are also installed straight into people's homes, but the signal does not get converted and new modems and boxes are needed to deal with the "pure" fibre optic signal coming in.

All new consumer equipment is needed, so is expensive to begin with, but works out cheaper in the long run for companies as far less street cabinets are needed thus saving heaps on maintenance costs.

Or something like that.
Old 01-06-2020, 14:30   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
RfoG - fibre optic cables are installed into people's homes replacing the existing coax cables (if installed) then the signals get converted using existing modems and set top boxes.

This is a cheaper method for companies using existing equipment, but still requires lots of street cabinets and heavy maintenance costs.

Xpon - fibre cables are also installed straight into people's homes, but the signal does not get converted and new modems and boxes are needed to deal with the "pure" fibre optic signal coming in.

All new consumer equipment is needed, so is expensive to begin with, but works out cheaper in the long run for companies as far less street cabinets are needed thus saving heaps on maintenance costs.

Or something like that.
I disagree the exact same amount of street cabs are needed for both fibre types
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 14:58   #11
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Would someone like to translate RFoG & xPON into English .....
RFoG - Radio Frequency over Glass. The optical fibre is used in the same way as Coax, which is not really the optimal use of the fibre but it means that the architecture is wholly compatible with VM's HFC platform.

The architectures of both RFoG and xPON (Passive Optical network) are both the same, they are passive. The only difference is what is on the ends.

If, and by if I mean when, VM were to retire their HFC network, the full fibre network they are building will be able to carry PON.
Old 01-06-2020, 18:22   #12
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

One cost effective way of delivering FTTP service is with the use of a passive optical networks (PON). It's a point to multipoint, uses unpowered optical splitters and consists of optical line terminals (OLTs) and optical network units (ONUs) at customer premises.

Different standard groups created different PON standards:
ITU-T G
- BPON
- GPON
- XG-PON

IEEE 802.3
- EPON
- 10G EPON

SCTE
- RFoG

Although RFoG is a type of PON it's never referred to as PON.

RFoG was designed for cable operators who needed to upgrade their HFC network to full fibre without incurring huge costs, and one of the major cost savings is by keeping exactly the same hubs and STBs in customer premises. Here's some high level diagrams of Virgin Media's systems.

HFC
Hub site --- fibre --- optical node --- RF over coax --- distribution cabinet --- RF over coax --- hub/STB

RFoG
Hub site --- fibre --- virtual hub (OLT) --- RF over fibre --- cabinet --- RF over fibre --- ONU -- RF over coax -- hub/STB

As you can see the conversion to/from RF takes place differently: with HFC it's done by the optical node some distance from customer premises but with RFoG done by the ONU inside the termination box on the customer's exterior wall.

Regardless of whether it's HFC or RFoG the transmission of data is still done in accordance with DOCSIS.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 00:51   #13
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Yeah, I said that in half the time !
Old 09-06-2020, 10:07   #14
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

Or something like that.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I disagree the exact same amount of street cabs are needed for both fibre types
There is more active powered kit in your street cabs etc going down the RFoG path.

I personally am hoping that VM at some point does make the jump. When you have a connection that does not feature jitter, you really notice it in some applications.

Having been on xPON for the past year, however as I moving home I am having to go back to old HFC. A real 1G up/down has been a treat, especially during the current pandemic. Whilst I think we are all sick of work video calls (in fact I think I could go so far as to say I have had enough for an entire lifetime) my xPON connection has operated flawlessly. Other colleagues have stutters and stops, but my soon to be old connection just holds the fort.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 19:54   #15
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
Exactly!

There is more active powered kit in your street cabs etc going down the RFoG path.

I personally am hoping that VM at some point does make the jump. When you have a connection that does not feature jitter, you really notice it in some applications.

Having been on xPON for the past year, however as I moving home I am having to go back to old HFC. A real 1G up/down has been a treat, especially during the current pandemic. Whilst I think we are all sick of work video calls (in fact I think I could go so far as to say I have had enough for an entire lifetime) my xPON connection has operated flawlessly. Other colleagues have stutters and stops, but my soon to be old connection just holds the fort.
I think people forget, to get to the eventual cheaper running Rfog you have to spend 100's of millions to get it. When you already have a HFC network that is being upgraded,(not quick enough i might add) it's going to be cheaper to do, then implement Docsis 3.1.