Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | M1000 is available. How to order?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

M1000 is available. How to order?

Old 16-05-2020, 23:27   #166
watercooled
cf.member

watercooled is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: M1000 is available. How to order?

I suspect different speed tests measure different things, perhaps some measure IP payload, others measure the whole packet including headers. I've not really looked into it but it would explain why some read higher than would seem possible.
watercooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-05-2020, 23:32   #167
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Upload is faster in the opening moments as the buffers take data at bus speeds.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2020, 11:21   #168
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
You are correct about it being overheads. When we talk about gigabit Ethernet it literally means 1,000,000,000 bits per second transferred on the wire, but not all of this is usable for actual data because of the way it is arranged into frames/packets. Each frame/packet needs a header to say where it's going e.g. a MAC header on layer two, then an IP header on layer 3, then more for TCP/UDP above that - you get the point though. More information available online if you search for those terms.

In an overly simplified way and ignoring multiple layers, lets say a packet can hold 95 bits of data with a 5 bit header. All 100 bits still need to be transferred over the Ethernet link but only 95 bits of actual data (payload) are being transmitted per packet. Translating that into speed, instead of 100 bits per second say, you now only have 95 bits per second. It is still literally 100 bits being sent mind, that's not in question, but like you say some is overhead because of how networks work.

If you have two computers on a LAN, set up file sharing and share a file between them, you'll see a similar limitation which tends to be around 930-950Mb/s throughput depending on things like packet size, protocol used, etc.

This is also true with DSL - if you're close enough to the cabinet for VDSL you will sync at 80Mb/s on the highest Openreach package, but do a speed test and this shows more like 76ish Mb/s for exactly the same reason. This is also why it's now advertised as such because that's the number that shows up in speed tests.

The reason this is different with Virgin is because what they sell as 200Mb is not 200Mb - go check your modem stats. Virgin have changed these profiles from time to time but at the time of making this post my profile speed is 230,000,061 bps. So pretty much 230Mb/s.

Hope that explains it well enough!
That's one of the clearest explanations I have seen. So, until cards,switches, ports etc all become significantly >1000Mbps no one is going to be achieving anything in tests over 930-950Mb. However, a connection over one gig still benefits a household or business with multiple devices clamouring for more and more bandwidth.Most of us just can't measure up to that higher speed yet - hence the Samknows realspeed facility.

Last edited by roughbeast; 17-05-2020 at 11:28.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 17:14   #169
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
That's one of the clearest explanations I have seen. So, until cards,switches, ports etc all become significantly >1000Mbps no one is going to be achieving anything in tests over 930-950Mb. However, a connection over one gig still benefits a household or business with multiple devices clamouring for more and more bandwidth.Most of us just can't measure up to that higher speed yet - hence the Samknows realspeed facility.
Exactly.

You can theoretically do line bonding or teaming, which is taking two Ethernet ports and running them in parallel. A single connection (Say a file download) still won't go above 1Gpbs, but multiplexed connections would be able to.

The hub doesn't support it so it's a moot point and it wouldn't be worth doing just to get that extra bit in those occasions where you can.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 18:37   #170
watercooled
cf.member

It depends on the type of link aggregation - many types will limit a single stream to a single interface (and therefore 1Gb), but others can bond multiple ports together under the same logical link.

It does require support at both ends of the link but some implementations can work more like a single, wider link. It's sort of the same principle as how multiple DOCSIS channels are bonded to give a final, faster connection visible to higher layers.

I've not seen this explicitly stated but I wonder if this is what the DOCSIS 3.1 modems supporting link bonding are doing: https://motorolamentor.zendesk.com/h...an-one-device-

I've no idea if the Hub 4 supports that or if it could be added with firmware updates.

Last edited by watercooled; 18-05-2020 at 19:45. Reason: Corrected some bits
Old 18-05-2020, 19:01   #171
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I thought I read that the Hub 4 only has 1GB ports anyway.
So it would seem pointless trying to bond channels for higher speeds anyway ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 19:22   #172
watercooled
cf.member

The point would be bonding ports of the modem to increase throughput beyond what a single link can support. Some DOCSIS 3.1 modems do support this like the one mentioned in the link I provided in last post, but I'm not aware of any routers supporting it.

Of course, for it to be useful for a single device it would mean having >1Gb LAN ports available on whatever router was used.
Old 18-05-2020, 19:42   #173
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
I'm not aware of any routers supporting it
I am pretty sure the high end Asus routers support link aggregation protocol or equivalent, I have definitely seen it in my Asus' gui. The problem is that to benefit from it you would need to use the shub in router mode in order to use multiple ports, plus the nic on the client would have to be >1gbit.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 19:50   #174
watercooled
cf.member

Interesting, I've just searched and read a bit about them. E.g. https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039053/

Even if the 'single-pipe' bonding isn't an option for now, the more standard type could still be useful for a single device - many applications and especially game clients will open multiple connections anyway so could do in excess of 1Gbps in aggregate.

And hopefully >1Gbps Ethernet starts becoming more common as gigabit broadband rolls out! It's not like the need is limited to NAS users any more.
Old 18-05-2020, 21:56   #175
Rexz
cf.addict

Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I am pretty sure the high end Asus routers support link aggregation protocol or equivalent, I have definitely seen it in my Asus' gui. The problem is that to benefit from it you would need to use the shub in router mode in order to use multiple ports, plus the nic on the client would have to be >1gbit.
Not only that but you would then probably need to start doing double NAT if the SHUB was in router mode which is just a pain. It needs bonding in modem mode... although I'm not sure if that is even possible considering we use that single port for the MAC address and IP address.
Rexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 22:42   #176
watercooled
cf.member

I linked a page earlier detailing a modem that does exactly that - both ports are treated kind of like one interface.

Some more details here: https://motorolamentor.zendesk.com/h...e-other-ports-

It's no guarantee that the Hub would support that though (through a firmware update I mean, it obviously doesn't support it currently).
Old 19-05-2020, 23:14   #177
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

It's totally possible to do, just requires the hardware and OS to support it. The 2 hardware ports become 1 connection so there isnt an issue with NAT or anything.

Intel NICs have supported it forever as it's a fairly standard server feature to have 2 NICs and Intel just use the same drivers for all of their network stuff, even when it's in a cheapo consumer PC.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 07:41   #178
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Confirm for me please. Since I converted my Hub 4 to modem-only mode I have been unable to access its GUI on 192.168.100.1. Does Hub 4 have a different IP than other hubs? To complicate the question, my new GT-AX11000 allocates LAN IPs as 192.168.50. ** . For example, the router has an IP of 192.168.50.1

Last edited by roughbeast; 21-05-2020 at 07:49.
Old 21-05-2020, 09:49   #179
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Confirm for me please. Since I converted my Hub 4 to modem-only mode I have been unable to access its GUI on 192.168.100.1. Does Hub 4 have a different IP than other hubs? To complicate the question, my new GT-AX11000 allocates LAN IPs as 192.168.50. ** . For example, the router has an IP of 192.168.50.1
There's been a firmware update that corrects/amplifies the Downstream Stats presentation to separate out Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 channels.

This update has screwed the GUI if you hit the stats link on the 100.1 front screen in modem mode (I haven't tried router mode). To get the stats, you currently need to log in to the modem (0.1 or 100.1 works) and go to the ADVANCED/INFO/NETWORK STATUS menu.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 10:00   #180
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Exactly.

You can theoretically do line bonding or teaming, which is taking two Ethernet ports and running them in parallel. A single connection (Say a file download) still won't go above 1Gpbs, but multiplexed connections would be able to.

The hub doesn't support it so it's a moot point and it wouldn't be worth doing just to get that extra bit in those occasions where you can.
Pity Hub 4 doesn't support LACP-IEEE 802.3ad in either mode, because my router does support aggregation.

---------- Post added at 09:00 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
There's been a firmware update that corrects/amplifies the Downstream Stats presentation to separate out Docsis 3.0 and 3.1 channels.

This update has screwed the GUI if you hit the stats link on the 100.1 front screen in modem mode (I haven't tried router mode). To get the stats, you currently need to log in to the modem (0.1 or 100.1 works) and go to the ADVANCED/INFO/NETWORK STATUS menu.

That's the problem. I can't access anything via 100.1 , i.e. no GUI.