Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart to dumb

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

Smart to dumb

Old 25-03-2021, 19:45   #1
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Post Smart to dumb

Looking at getting the cheapest smart phone offered by virgin . It works out cheaper than l spend on landline per month. However the last one l had cost a fortune because l opened the internet . Long story .! I don't want or need that connection . Can l remove/ block/delete App s etc .so can't do that again ?
Old 25-03-2021, 20:12   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Smart to dumb

You might look at disabling the phone's data connection.

But this will mean apps and emails can only be done if you connect the phone to WiFi.

The other option is you can set the phone to give you a warning when you hit a certain amount of data.

I have 1GB data and set my warning to 950MB.
Old 25-03-2021, 21:28   #3
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Looking at getting the cheapest smart phone offered by virgin . It works out cheaper than l spend on landline per month. However the last one l had cost a fortune because l opened the internet . Long story .! I don't want or need that connection . Can l remove/ block/delete App s etc .so can't do that again ?
If you get a relatively modest monthly data allowance of say 2 GB that would be more than ample for any modest internet or other app use whilst out and about and you wouldn't have to worry about running over your quota. I'm guessing in the past you've used the internet with a phone with an old style PAYG topup sim, I naively did about 8 or 9 years ago and ran out of (£30) credit in a matter of minutes.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 00:43   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
You might look at disabling the phone's data connection.

But this will mean apps and emails can only be done if you connect the phone to WiFi.
My wife runs her phone like that, and has done for years (since her iphone 4 days). Very very rarely, she may want to use the internet when we are out somewhere, so she turns data on, does whats needed, and then turns it off again. We away (e.g. holidays) always choose hotels etc with wifi, so still the same.

I dont have a smart phone, so not an issue for me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 16:35   #5
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
If you get a relatively modest monthly data allowance of say 2 GB that would be more than ample for any modest internet or other app use whilst out and about and you wouldn't have to worry about running over your quota. I'm guessing in the past you've used the internet with a phone with an old style PAYG topup sim, I naively did about 8 or 9 years ago and ran out of (£30) credit in a matter of minutes.
Yep you got it .being retired and not keen on moving to far from home . I have no need of outside contection. Don't even really have a need to take phone out of house! Just the monthly charge is lower that my phone charges on the landline! The cost is greater if l changed my landline choice. Thanks for your help,
Old 26-03-2021, 17:54   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My Nokia (not smart) phone still has most of the £10 credit it had on it when it was gifted to me a couple of years ago. It's hardly ever switched on, and is just there in case of emergencies.

Our phone bill for the landline calls came last week. £1.82 for the past 6 months (all our calls, apart for the free weekend ones that come with the VM landline, go via https://www.1899.com/).
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 21:23   #7
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Yep you got it .being retired and not keen on moving to far from home . I have no need of outside contection. Don't even really have a need to take phone out of house! Just the monthly charge is lower that my phone charges on the landline! The cost is greater if l changed my landline choice. Thanks for your help,
OK in which case I'd get the cheapest possible data bundle (probably 500 MB) and as Hom3R says just disable data.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 13:03   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
OK in which case I'd get the cheapest possible data bundle (probably 500 MB) and as Hom3R says just disable data.

Also check if the phone has the same option as mine.

Mine will turn on the Wi-Fi in "safe" areas that you use.

So mine will automatically come on in my home or at my sisters
Old 29-03-2021, 13:06   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Do you need a smart phone? Do you intend to use wifi? there are simple phones out there for a tenner that just make calls and send text
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2021, 13:02   #10
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Re: Smalooking at smart because on odd occsrt to dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Do you need a smart phone? Do you intend to use wifi? there are simple phones out there for a tenner that just make calls and send text
Not really but on the odd occasion when a app is needed then yes . Also seems that smart on pay monthly work out less than calls on land lines are costing me daft but there it is
Old 31-03-2021, 11:24   #11
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Some devices you can set up to warn you when an app wants to use phone data and either grant it once, grant it fully, deny it. (Maybe Apple, probably some way to add/use function on other O/Ss)
Old 31-03-2021, 11:52   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Some devices you can set up to warn you when an app wants to use phone data and either grant it once, grant it fully, deny it. (Maybe Apple, probably some way to add/use function on other O/Ss)
A lot you can set up to only use wifi.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 12:15   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Smart to Dumb

Quote:
Not really but on the odd occasion when a app is needed then yes . Also seems that smart on pay monthly work out less than calls on land lines are costing me daft but there it is
I will never go on a contract again.

You could buy a cheap Android Phone. Pretty much all of them have a data toggle but not being on a contract means you can set up so you never get charged anything above your monthly package

I bought a Poco X3 but this will be more than you need keep an eye out on HUKD for the Redmi Note 9 often on the mi.uk site they sell these really cheap. There are also cheaper devices but if you want a good experience make sure it has at least 2GB ram

I am also on GiffGaff I get unlimited calls and minutes with 10GB data for £10 the £6 a month package would get you unlimited calls and text and no chance of outside of tariff charges. I also use WeQ4U which finds most 0845 and the like geo alternatives
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 18:16   #14
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Re: Smart to Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
I will never go on a contract again.

You could buy a cheap Android Phone. Pretty much all of them have a data toggle but not being on a contract means you can set up so you never get charged anything above your monthly package

I bought a Poco X3 but this will be more than you need keep an eye out on HUKD for the Redmi Note 9 often on the mi.uk site they sell these really cheap. There are also cheaper devices but if you want a good experience make sure it has at least 2GB ram

I am also on GiffGaff I get unlimited calls and minutes with 10GB data for £10 the £6 a month package would get you unlimited calls and text and no chance of outside of tariff charges. I also use WeQ4U which finds most 0845 and the like geo alternatives
Thank wil

l look would at gifgaf except that on the odd occasion l would need a smart phone ie if l broke down RAC really need to be contacted by an app. I only have a dumb phone. Hence the need for a cheap smartphone it's would seem to be rhe way to go.
Old 31-03-2021, 18:34   #15
qwakuk
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Oomph, 3 V6 boxes, M600 BB
qwakuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Also check out Plusnet, pay £6 pm for unlimited calls and texts and 3gb data on rolling 30 day contract. Offer today is £8 pm with 12gb data.
qwakuk is offline   Reply With Quote