Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Changes to Virgin TV (2020)

Old 13-02-2020, 16:42   #256
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
SyFy is owned by NBC, and isnt shutting down.

They are currently airing The Magicians, which has a good chance of renewal.
Wynonna Earp is back in the Summer (possibly next year as well), Van Helsing is back in the Autumn, plus they have new shows in development.
Those talking about it possibly shutting down mean the UK version, not the original US channel.

NBC and Sky are both owned by Comcast these days.

The latest BARB ratings have the UK version with a 0.18 share (inc +1) , the top Sky entertainment channel is Sky One with a 0.88 share (inc +1).

Universal Channel (also a Sky/Comcast channel) had a 0.18 share in January 20th-26th week prior to being shut.

I watch SyFy UK regularly and hope it survives, but it's not a sure thing the UK channel will survive if they are willing to cull a similarly rating channel.

https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/...g-summary-new/
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2020, 18:20   #257
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

According to Digital Bitrate there is a new channel testing - HZNFATST - http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...&sec=0&lang=en

They aren't giving anything away by the name they are using. Maybe it's the Turkish channel called Hazan Live TV. Or possibly a barker channel for the new Horizon interface?

newapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 18:36   #258
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post
According to Digital Bitrate there is a new channel testing - HZNFATST - http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.ph...&sec=0&lang=en

They aren't giving anything away by the name they are using. Maybe it's the Turkish channel called Hazan Live TV. Or possibly a barker channel for the new Horizon interface?

According to data posted by JJ20X on Forumbox there is a Baby TV label on it currently. That could be an error though.
Old 13-02-2020, 18:50   #259
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
According to data posted by JJ20X on Forumbox there is a Baby TV label on it currently. That could be an error though.
I've just checked JJ20X's post - epg 666 - "Devilishly" cunning VM are trying to conceal the true identity and even the category genre type
Old 14-02-2020, 01:07   #260
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Those talking about it possibly shutting down mean the UK version, not the original US channel.

NBC and Sky are both owned by Comcast these days.

The latest BARB ratings have the UK version with a 0.18 share (inc +1) , the top Sky entertainment channel is Sky One with a 0.88 share (inc +1).

Universal Channel (also a Sky/Comcast channel) had a 0.18 share in January 20th-26th week prior to being shut.

I watch SyFy UK regularly and hope it survives, but it's not a sure thing the UK channel will survive if they are willing to cull a similarly rating channel.

https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/...g-summary-new/
I think if you look at it in the context of Sky’s portfolio, both it and E! are fairly distinctive from the other channels - plus we are seeing some new shows on both (Temptation Island and the aforementioned Twilight Zone as well as a second run for Westworld) as well the shows being offered the same way (all episodes available) so there’s likely some life in both for now even as they align closer to the Sky portfolio.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 20:14   #261
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thanks Media Boy. Shame even new channels aren't tagged with New on DigitalBitRate these days, maybe VM are being deliberately tricksey so we don't notice that easily...though I can't see them being bothered enough to do it, it's probably a side effect of something else.
We found on Tuesday but forgot to report at the time that Virgin Media UK did start testing TJC HD on Feb. 7th before launching on the network FIVE days later.

Source: DBR.

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post

Due to stream it using it may only launch for the few months.

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
TiVo has reveal that HUM Masala will launch on Thursday via the red button on Channel 833.
TiVo home page has confirm that HUM Masala will close on Virgin Media UK on March 30th.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

Quote:
Sky has said the new Sky Documentaries channel is launching on 7th April and will be getting SyFy's channel number on Satellite.

No news as to whether SyFy is closing though, or just being moved.

Also no news about VM distribution.
Source: https://www.rxtvlog.com/2020/02/sky-...-date-and.html
Look like SYFY UK is getting axe in the UK to me.

I am really starting to think that E! is safe but Challenge will be axe to make way for Sky Nature to launch on Virgin and Sky.

Challenge slot on Freeview will be use for Pick +1 (It broadcasting on Freeview HD right now anyway).
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 21:08   #262
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Challenge is surprisingly successful. I can't see Sky axing a 0.45 rating channel. That's more than twice SyFy. And Challenge is probably very cheap, relatively, to run given the content.

I don't think SyFy UK will be axed either. As has been mentioned, they are still showing new content. They'd be doing what they did with Universal Channel if it was going anywhere.

Sky2 is a gonner in my opinion, it's a 0.07 rating and no identify.
Old 14-02-2020, 21:36   #263
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Sky2 is a gonner in my opinion, it's a 0.07 rating and no identify.
Well I did see on an other web site that Sky are said to be testing an Sky Documentaries HD channel so you are maybe right.

I just said SYFY due to Sky Documentaries channel getting it channel number on Sky and I did not know that about Challenge.

---------- Post added at 20:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Do you have the numbers for Pick, E!, Sky Arts and Movies 24?
Old 14-02-2020, 21:57   #264
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Pick (inc +1) 0.85
E! 0.07
Sky Arts 0.11
Movies 24 0.10
Movies 24+ 0.07

27th Jan - 2nd Feb

Source: Barb (click Sort by Channel) https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/...g-summary-new/

Note: Barb have stopped the Monthly Ratings on their website, Pick seems about what I've seen before but I've seen higher ratings on average for the others. I normally looked at Monthly so these may be a bit more up and down than I was previously looking at.
Old 14-02-2020, 22:07   #265
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Pick (inc +1) 0.85
E! 0.07
Sky Arts 0.11
Movies 24 0.10
Movies 24+ 0.07

27th Jan - 2nd Feb

Source: Barb (click Sort by Channel) https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/...g-summary-new/

Note: Barb have stopped the Monthly Ratings on their website, Pick seems about what I've seen before but I've seen higher ratings on average for the others. I normally looked at Monthly so these may be a bit more up and down than I was previously looking at.
Base on BARB ratings any of the following channels is set to close for Sky Documentaries and Sky Nature to launch.

Sky Two
E! (Unlikey to close due to it lineup)
Movies 24+
Old 18-02-2020, 21:16   #266
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

When reading next weeks Radio Times today I saw an ad for Virgin Media in it. It listed some HD Channels with one of them being Universal TV HD but it closed. So I read it T&C and it says something like "Information Right as of January 30th".

Virgin Media keep up.
Old 20-02-2020, 13:35   #267
newapollo
cf.addict

HISTORY to become Sky HISTORY

https://advanced-television.com/2020...story-channel/

A+E Networks UK and Sky will launch the co-branded Sky History channel this spring. The channel will be available on linear TV and on-demand in the UK and Ireland, and will also be present on streaming service NOW TV for the first time.

Zai Bennett, Managing Director of Content at Sky, added: “The launch of Sky History will build on our existing channel portfolio and complement new channel brands Sky Documentaries and Sky Nature, which will also be coming in Spring 2020. The continuation of our strong partnership with A+E Networks UK will mean more investment in premium original content and make it easier for our customers to find the shows they want to watch.”

A+E Networks suite of channels also includes Sky HISTORY2 (the former HISTORY2), Lifetime and BLAZE.

All channels will continue to broadcast on Sky, Virgin Media, BT and TalkTalk and be managed and operated by the A+E Networks UK team from their Hammersmith offices.
Old 20-02-2020, 13:59   #268
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Makes you wonder if Sky Nature and Sky Documentaries will be rebranded partnerships rather than whole new channels, given this Sky History announcement. Maybe they just haven't announced who their other partners are.
Old 20-02-2020, 16:18   #269
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Makes you wonder if Sky Nature and Sky Documentaries will be rebranded partnerships rather than whole new channels, given this Sky History announcement. Maybe they just haven't announced who their other partners are.
I’d have imagined that had those channels been joint ventures they would have already said - no real need to keep it a secret. Sky Docs is really just an extension of their current entertainment channels and relying on their ongoing content deals with HBO and Showtime as well as their originals and their own acquisitions like the Hillary Clinton film.
Phunkenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 17:51   #270
Frazz
cf.addict

Services: 2 x tivo TV XL with movie and sport 500Mb broadband phone talk anytime Unlimited mobile phone sim
Frazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about themFrazz has a spectacular aura about them

I see you're going to be able to watch sky Atlantic on BT soon

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...anges-17787601
Frazz is offline   Reply With Quote