Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa

Old 10-01-2019, 03:59   #1
Visitor
Inactive

Services: Broadband
Visitor is on a distinguished roadVisitor is on a distinguished road
Playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa

Anybody know how to get Amazon Alexa to playback your own music files?

It would be nice to use my NAS but i wont mind using another drive attached, or a memory card in a device?

Did buy a Bluetooth speaker with alexa built in buy no memory card. Told if there was a card with MP3 on it, still Alexa wont use them as Amazon wants you to use Amazon Music
Visitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2019, 14:01   #2
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor View Post

It would be nice to use my NAS but i wont mind using another drive attached, or a memory card in a device?

Did buy a Bluetooth speaker with alexa built in buy no memory card. Told if there was a card with MP3 on it, still Alexa wont use them as Amazon wants you to use Amazon Music
If you have a qnap NAS, IFTTT can help:

IFFT
Old 15-01-2019, 02:18   #3
Visitor
Inactive

Re: Playback mp3 files from NAS using Alexa

A what nap? Its a WD NAS didnt like IfTTT when trying simply bulb control, mostly PC, Laptop and phones not on same network as hub, so use Amazon cloud all the time
Old 15-01-2019, 16:03   #4
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from Visitor:

To get my Sony smart TV to play music and video content from my PC over my home network I needed to install a DLNA compliant media server and then share the appropriate folders. The TV media player could then browse the shared folders and sub-folders, make thumbnails and play content.

I used Serviio (free standard version) as the PC is old and Plex wouldn't install. The TV says that it will also play files from DLNA compliant NAS. (NAS with a media server installed)

Maybe Alexa needs the same thing?
Old 17-01-2019, 23:04   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I did look into this myself as I have over 7,500 tracks mostly in FLAC format.

I did remember that I might be able to connect a HDD to the USB port on my router and I need to put stuff on it so I can run a Alexa skill.

but Christmas happened and I've lost interest in it.
Old 18-01-2019, 10:13   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

One incidental advantage of the media server is that file types that the TV doesn't understand, such as .flv (Flash) and .rmvb (Real player), are transcoded on the fly to a type that the TV can render correctly.
Old 11-03-2019, 22:31   #7
Visitor
Inactive

Tv is already playing anything, want a blutooth speaker to play muisc from my NAS but under Alexa control, already have it playing the files but have to use an app to select, want Alexa to do it, Plex works with some devices Think Amazon wont let you do this, they want you to play thire music and subscribe, Spotify only lets you use one device at a time