Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freeview changes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freeview changes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2023, 20:03   #646
epsilon
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 670
epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
I feel Frasers may buy the non TV Side of the company and own Ideal World name to run the web site.

With the EPG channels numbers on both Sky and Freeview going to any broadcaster who want them.
Having been on the other side of this type of situation I can say that things are not always as they seem. A certain chain of events is sometimes preferred to allow a debt free phoenix to rise from the ashes. IW will have a seriously damaged reputation by now but I wouldn't be altogether surprised if we see Peter Simon again at some point, trying to sell drones to an unsuspecting public. Repeating the mantra that IW is a trusted supplier with a 20+ year history etc etc..
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2023, 20:36   #647
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)
 
Media Boy UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 14,669
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Having been on the other side of this type of situation I can say that things are not always as they seem. A certain chain of events is sometimes preferred to allow a debt free phoenix to rise from the ashes. IW will have a seriously damaged reputation by now but I wouldn't be altogether surprised if we see Peter Simon again at some point, trying to sell drones to an unsuspecting public. Repeating the mantra that IW is a trusted supplier with a 20+ year history etc etc..
TJC or Gems TV have 5 channels so he may end up with one of them I can't see him going to QVC.

If Fraser Group do launch Sports Direct TV it won't be live but it will be like the Shopping channels you see late at night on channels like MTV, Quest and Pick.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Ideal World slot is NOT 24 hours on COM6 it was broadcasting from 7am to 12midnight everyday.

Maybe Gems TV will ask Arqiva to move them from COM5 to COM6 to save them the wee bit of money. But Together TV will end up with Ideal World old slot on COM6.
__________________
Blog - Updated Jan 19th.
What may come - Jan 10th.
Also on X
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 20:39   #648
epsilon
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 670
epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Wink Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
TJC or Gems TV have 5 channels so he may end up with one of them I can't see him going to QVC.

If Fraser Group do launch Sports Direct TV it won't be live but it will be like the Shopping channels you see late at night on channels like MTV, Quest and Pick.

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

Ideal World slot is NOT 24 hours on COM6 it was broadcasting from 7am to 12midnight everyday.

Maybe Gems TV will ask Arqiva to move them from COM5 to COM6 to save them the wee bit of money. But Together TV will end up with Ideal World old slot on COM6.
Maybe someone could launch Every Day is a Panto TV and employ Peter to ramble on endlessly.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 15:30   #649
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)
 
Media Boy UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 14,669
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview changes

New space for a 24 hour broadcasting channel has been found on the Local TV Mux.

see the final part of the link: - https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ive=47&lang=en

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Digital Spy Forum's poster "kjhskj75" has just posted:

This happened around 2pm:

*LCN 52 "GREAT! romance" has moved from Local to ArqB.
*LCN 206 "Pop" has moved from ArqB to Local.
*LCN 208 "Pop Player" on SDN has changed LCN to 212.
*LCN 208 "Pop Max" has launched on Local.
__________________
Blog - Updated Jan 19th.
What may come - Jan 10th.
Also on X
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 19:16   #650
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)
 
Media Boy UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 14,669
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview changes

Here is the up to date list of space on Freeview being unused.

Unuse 24 hours slots:
-Old New slot slot on LOCAL TV mux (Only in some areas where you can watch KMTV, Latest TV, Local TV, Notts TV, NVTV, Sheffield Live, That's TV (With Local News), POP, POP MAX, RealityXtra and Tiny Pop.)

Part time slots:
-Old Ideal World slot on COM5 mux (From 7am to midnight only).

Slots information right at time of posting.
__________________
Blog - Updated Jan 19th.
What may come - Jan 10th.
Also on X
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 19:23   #651
epsilon
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 670
epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
New space for a 24 hour broadcasting channel has been found on the Local TV Mux.

see the final part of the link: - https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ive=47&lang=en

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Digital Spy Forum's poster "kjhskj75" has just posted:

This happened around 2pm:

*LCN 52 "GREAT! romance" has moved from Local to ArqB.
*LCN 206 "Pop" has moved from ArqB to Local.
*LCN 208 "Pop Player" on SDN has changed LCN to 212.
*LCN 208 "Pop Max" has launched on Local.
As far as the local mux is concerned, Pop has effectively replaced the duplicate of GREAT! TV with Pop Max replacing GREAT! Romance. So no extra streams. It would be very difficult to see that from the bitrate graph you linked as it seems to be suffering from a poor signal and as a result severe bitrate or packet loss.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 19:30   #652
Mr K
Woke and proud !
 
Mr K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 9,061
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
Here is the up to date list of space on Freeview being unused.

Unuse 24 hours slots:
-Old New slot slot on LOCAL TV mux (Only in some areas where you can watch KMTV, Latest TV, Local TV, Notts TV, NVTV, Sheffield Live, That's TV (With Local News), POP, POP MAX, RealityXtra and Tiny Pop.)

Part time slots:
-Old Ideal World slot on COM5 mux (From 7am to midnight only).

Slots information right at time of posting.
Never mind all that MB. What are you having for your Birthday tea?
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 19:34   #653
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)
 
Media Boy UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 14,669
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
As far as the local mux is concerned, Pop has effectively replaced the duplicate of GREAT! TV with Pop Max replacing GREAT! Romance. So no extra streams. It would be very difficult to see that from the bitrate graph you linked as it seems to be suffering from a poor signal and as a result severe bitrate or packet loss.
GREAT Movies +1 has now close on Freeview so Tiny Pop is now 24 hours.

That bitrate story about the new "slot" was found by Mike aka A516Digital on his twitter page.

https://twitter.com/a516digital/stat...15063415681024 (You may not see link)

---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Never mind all that MB. What are you having for your Birthday tea?
KFC
__________________
Blog - Updated Jan 19th.
What may come - Jan 10th.
Also on X
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 19:45   #654
epsilon
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 670
epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Freeview changes

If you look at this one you will get a better perspective. https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ive=47&lang=en
They do seem to have been experimenting with 5 stat-muxed channels alongside the fixed bitrate local channel but have rolled back to 4 stat-muxed services with today's changes. I would hope that having 5 stat-muxed channels was a configuration error as that many services on a QPSK mux would be very bad. They could convert to QAM-64 to add more services (as the GMUX did) but that would make the signal far less robust and severely reduce the coverage areas of the multiplexes. They won't be allowed to reduce the coverage areas for local TV so that is a non starter.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 19:56   #655
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)
 
Media Boy UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 14,669
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Freeview changes

If you look at the local TV broadcaster they have X2 higher Mb/s then any other broadcaster on Local TV Mux.

So if the local broadcaster Mb/s in half the new slot can launch - DS Forum think it will be That's Cinema.
__________________
Blog - Updated Jan 19th.
What may come - Jan 10th.
Also on X
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 20:09   #656
epsilon
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 670
epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy UK View Post
If you look at the local TV broadcaster they have X2 higher Mb/s then any other broadcaster on Local TV Mux.

So if the local broadcaster Mb/s in half the new slot can launch - DS Forum think it will be That's Cinema.
That's because the other broadcasters are stat-muxed and sharing video bandwidth. They are all muxed together by Comux at its Birmingham NOC. The local services are added separately at fixed bitrate so need to be at a much higher bitrate. It is by design. Adding the local service to stat-muxing would require a vast amount of extra encoders as the services would then have to be stat-muxed for each and every local TV area. Rather than a single national stat-mux with local services added at fixed bitrate. So, you are talking about dozens of extra, very expensive, encoders. They just won't do that for the local multiplexes which are run as cheaply as possible.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2023, 21:37   #657
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster
 
cheekyangus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,526
cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
That's because the other broadcasters are stat-muxed and sharing video bandwidth. They are all muxed together by Comux at its Birmingham NOC. The local services are added separately at fixed bitrate so need to be at a much higher bitrate. It is by design. Adding the local service to stat-muxing would require a vast amount of extra encoders as the services would then have to be stat-muxed for each and every local TV area. Rather than a single national stat-mux with local services added at fixed bitrate. So, you are talking about dozens of extra, very expensive, encoders. They just won't do that for the local multiplexes which are run as cheaply as possible.
Thanks for the explanation.

I wonder if they are going to axe all their +1s and sell the channel numbers. Two of them are timesharing on the Manchester Mux, so if the Movies+1 disappears on Local Mux, as seems to be the case, I can't see them keeping all three channel numbers going, especially now they have Catch-up on Freeview.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2023, 10:54   #658
epsilon
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 670
epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Freeview changes

I don't see the point of the Manchester GIMux at all. With a relatively small coverage area and carrying channels that, surely, can't be very appealing to advertisers I'm surprised that it is still around. I can't see the Cardiff GIMux ever launching.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 15:18   #659
epsilon
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 670
epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Freeview changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
If you look at this one you will get a better perspective. https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.p...ive=47&lang=en
They do seem to have been experimenting with 5 stat-muxed channels alongside the fixed bitrate local channel but have rolled back to 4 stat-muxed services with today's changes. I would hope that having 5 stat-muxed channels was a configuration error as that many services on a QPSK mux would be very bad. They could convert to QAM-64 to add more services (as the GMUX did) but that would make the signal far less robust and severely reduce the coverage areas of the multiplexes. They won't be allowed to reduce the coverage areas for local TV so that is a non starter.
I had another look at this with a better view of events as the new channel mix pattern emerged. The earlier pattern noted on the Emley Moor bitrate graph doesn't really show an experimental combination of 5 stat-muxed channels. If anything, on a single scan, it seems that all of the channels normally stat-muxed were running at fixed bitrate and a much lower rate than would be needed to produce a reasonable quality output. So, I'll put that down to either a configuration error with the signal or with the DBR monitor. The second anomaly simply showed the GREAT! tv channel disappearing and being replaced by null packets. An indication that GREAT! tv had already been replaced with POP in the stat-mux at the Comux NOC but the SI data hadn't been updated to "extract" the new service for the transmitter sites. Quite messy really. But they don't seem to have had any more than 4 channels in the stat-muxed segment at any point in time.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2023, 18:28   #660
epsilon
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 670
epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Freeview changes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/work.../hd-ip-streams

From today, supported Freeview Play devices (with suitable broadband speeds) can now receive several IP connected BBC HD channels.

301 BBC THREE (bringing HD coverage to Scotland and Wales but available nationwide)
302 BBC Scotland (extending coverage beyond Scotland)
303 BBC ALBA (extending coverage beyond Scotland)
501 BBC NEWS (making the HD service available once again to supported devices)
502 BBC PARLIAMENT (bringing the HD service to supported devices)

A retune may be required to add the channels.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:19.


Server: osmium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.