Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Odd window on Windows 10 boot.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Odd window on Windows 10 boot.

Old 04-04-2024, 20:40   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Odd window on Windows 10 boot.

A short while ago, a strange blue window opened on boot of Win10, just before the actual Windows start page.

I thought it was down to the failure of update KB5034441 as many people have been saying it fails, and Microsoft still haven't fixed it.

If I click on RETRY, I get the "just a moment" message, typical of Windows Updates, with the spinning icon. But nothing happens. No messages other than that. So I click on Cancel, and Windows continues to load as normal.

I used wushowhide.diagcab to hide KB503441, but at boot the same window opens.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics, but my camera doesn't like taking screenshots.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (650.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (1.53 MB, 25 views)
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2024, 20:50   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Odd window on Windows 10 boot.

Run Troubleshooter and select windows update and see if it fixes anything. Run sfc /scannow in elevated command window . Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

See if any of them fix it
Old 04-04-2024, 21:43   #3
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Seems you're not the only one with the problem. It seems to be connected to Auto Login.
Auto Login Blocked by blue box with 2 buttons that must be pressed
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2024, 12:00   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Run Troubleshooter and select windows update and see if it fixes anything. Run sfc /scannow in elevated command window . Run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

See if any of them fix it
Sadly none of them did.

In Win temp I found 2 exe files for BCI launcher (bing chat). I don't use bing or edge so I deleted them. On next boot was a very long log file for installing Edge!

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Seems you're not the only one with the problem. It seems to be connected to Auto Login.
Auto Login Blocked by blue box with 2 buttons that must be pressed
I tried Sysinternals/TechNet's Autoruns. It produced a very long "everything" file, but nothing jumped out at me, except a reference to BCI launcher which it couldn't find as I had just deleted the exe files. So I deleted that entry.

Last edited by Taf; 05-04-2024 at 12:23.
Old 10-04-2024, 21:25   #5
alanrogger007
cf.member

alanrogger007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I attempted to hide the update that was making trouble, but that didn't work - the window kept showing up. So, I ended up running a troubleshooter to fix any messed-up files, which did the trick in the end.
alanrogger007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 10:49   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

I rerun Jaymoss' suggestions, but it still appears at boot. And hiding/blocking KB5034441 has had no effect.
Old 12-04-2024, 11:46   #7
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Looking around, I found this.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-086143e1863b

Suggests creating a "Local User" whilst in Safe Mode and doing a few extra little things but seems to work.
Old 12-04-2024, 13:58   #8
Taf
cf.mega poster

1. already tried, but did it again. No change.
2. the new account returned the same blue page.
3. system updated. No change.

Infuriated a bit more now.
Old 12-04-2024, 14:05   #9
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Have you tried the "Windows Refresh"?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...s%3F%20to%20No.

Maybe a bit extreme for some, and I would suggest backing up all essentials first just incase.
Old 12-04-2024, 14:07   #10
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

What happens if you bypass log in totally?
WinKey and R run the netplwiz command . Select user account and uncheck Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer

---------- Post added at 14:07 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post

Maybe a bit extreme for some, and I would suggest backing up all essentials first just incase.
safer method imo would be to run an in place upgrade from a USB installer
Old 12-04-2024, 14:09   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post

That is the last straw, as it will break the way I have orientated Win10 to work. It breaks all sorts, including removing many 3rd party apps and settings. Hours of work after that to rebuild it all. The RETRY option is 100% the same as when Windows does an update of itself.
Old 12-04-2024, 16:34   #12
Taf
cf.mega poster

I had a toilet time epiphany. Some of my best arrive on the loo.

Having deleted the last updates (all others are back to the middle of last year are Servicing Stacks so can't be uninstalled) I was still having the same problems.

On the loo, I thought, what if it is a program that is trying to "phone home" for some reason?

So I deleted my firewall, rebooted and BINGO! There was a Windows page asking me if I wanted to back-up to the cloud, and a couple of other questions relating to that. I clicked to bypass that, and Windows now boots correctly, even with the firewall reinstalled and active!

I shall now endeavour to spread the word.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they have at least increased my knowledge of Windows. :
Old 12-04-2024, 18:36   #13
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

So it was all the fault of E.T.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 18:50   #14
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I had a toilet time epiphany. Some of my best arrive on the loo.

Having deleted the last updates (all others are back to the middle of last year are Servicing Stacks so can't be uninstalled) I was still having the same problems.

On the loo, I thought, what if it is a program that is trying to "phone home" for some reason?

So I deleted my firewall, rebooted and BINGO! There was a Windows page asking me if I wanted to back-up to the cloud, and a couple of other questions relating to that. I clicked to bypass that, and Windows now boots correctly, even with the firewall reinstalled and active!

I shall now endeavour to spread the word.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they have at least increased my knowledge of Windows. :
You run a 3rd party firewall? windows built in passes all the leak tests I have run
Old 12-04-2024, 19:28   #15
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
You run a 3rd party firewall? windows built in passes all the leak tests I have run
Windows own one used to give me so many barmy warnings that I dumped it. Currently using Tiny Firewall.