Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Shaping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Shaping

Old 01-04-2006, 09:32   #106
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Traffic Shaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto
Agreed.

Traffic shaping on the level that ntl appear to be implamenting cannot be done at the human level, the hardware ntl will need to install will do all that for them. Obviously there will be traffic data that will be analysed by humans, but it is largely data flow based on volume over time and port traffic and there will be insufficient time for human intervention to make this work properly that would breach any privacy issues.
Don't be so sure:

Quote:
Verizon, Comcast, Bell South and other communications giants are developing strategies that would track and store information on our every move in cyberspace in a vast data-collection and marketing system, the scope of which could rival the National Security Agency. According to white papers now being circulated in the cable, telephone and telecommunications industries, those with the deepest pockets--corporations, special-interest groups and major advertisers--would get preferred treatment. Content from these providers would have first priority on our computer and television screens, while information seen as undesirable, such as peer-to-peer communications, could be relegated to a slow lane or simply shut out.

Taken from here.

EDIT:

Quote:
These "deep packet inspection" technologies are partly designed to make sure that the Internet pipeline doesn't become so congested it chokes off the delivery of timely communications. Such products have already been sold to universities and large businesses that want to more economically manage their Internet services. They are also being used to limit some peer-to-peer downloading, especially for music.

But these tools are also being promoted as ways that companies, such as Comcast and Bell South, can simply grab greater control over the Internet. For example, in a series of recent white papers, Internet technology giant Cisco urges these companies to "meter individual subscriber usage by application," as individuals' online travels are "tracked" and "integrated with billing systems." Such tracking and billing is made possible because they will know "the identity and profile of the individual subscriber," "what the subscriber is doing" and "where the subscriber resides."
Old 01-04-2006, 11:00   #107
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes
Don't be so sure:

Taken from here.

EDIT:
So why shouldn't I be so sure?
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:16   #108
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto
So why shouldn't I be so sure?
So data mining peopleââ‚Ã⠀šÃ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s online habits and using that data to change their online behaviour has no privacy implications then?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45   #109
totalwar
Inactive

totalwar is an unknown quantity at this point

Thoses dl from newsgroups GrabIt beta 6 has been release and the dl speeds seem be lot more stable getting 10,000kb/s to 12,000kb/s.You now have the option of up to 32 connection slots.
totalwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:49   #110
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes
So data mining people’s online habits and using that data to change their online behaviour has no privacy implications then?
Of course it has, but ntl is traffic shaping, not looking at each individual packet at the human level. I don't think ntl have the cash to take on a substancial storage of all their customers traffic.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 14:42   #111
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
You are free to leave now if you want.
sad but true, it seems to be if someone notices how bad the service is they get told you can leave or here have a discount, it is easier to do this then invest.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

I think in my case shaping is almost certianly going to provide an improvement but ntl should on top of this doing an upgrade, but if they do the shaping alone then they probably using shaping to replace network investment rather then compliment it.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 14:46   #112
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
You are free to leave now if you want.
sad but true, it seems to be if someone notices how bad the service is they get told you can leave or here have a discount, it is easier to do this then invest.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

I think in my case shaping is almost certainly going to provide an improvement but ntl should on top of this doing an upgrade, but if they do the shaping alone then they probably using shaping to replace network investment rather then compliment it.
Well after 6 years as a customer with first Nynex then Cable and Witless and finally Ntl i am on the move to BT and Ukonline. 13th of this month is the big day for me. Will be on the phone to disconnections first thing Monday morning will give them 30 days. The situation is that i cannot see Ntl just keeping to the 6 till 11 slot. soon they will use it to extract as much money from the customer as they can without investing any back in.
Old 01-04-2006, 15:06   #113
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimited
The situation is that i cannot see Ntl just keeping to the 6 till 11 slot. soon they will use it to extract as much money from the customer as they can without investing any back in.

How long until they introduce a new tier with no traffic shaping at a £45 a month?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 15:12   #114
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

6 to 11 doesnt apply here right now, it starts declining around midday and isnt upto a good standard until around 2 or 3am. The last 24 hrs have blow that out of the window tho and their was contention all the way through the night.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 16:18   #115
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
How long until they introduce a new tier with no traffic shaping at a £45 a month?
When they get a system which can actually cope with the provisioned speeds (DOCSIS 3.0).
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 18:09   #116
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun
When they get a system which can actually cope with the provisioned speeds (DOCSIS 3.0).
And would that be coming soon
Old 01-04-2006, 18:34   #117
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Define soon.
Old 01-04-2006, 18:39   #118
Bill C

Quote:
Define soon.
Well in NTL times that is between now and the next 5 years or 2 buyouts and a chapter 11 ?.
Old 01-04-2006, 19:28   #119
jtwn
Inactive

To be honest, ntl could just do as other people, just not announce things until they are ready to role. I can't actually remember the last official ntl document that said coming soon about a product. Well maybe VOD but then there is a schedule for that now.

One thing that has to be remembered, is the scale of operations that BT and ntl work on, things are just going to take longer.
Old 01-04-2006, 19:56   #120
Bill C

Quote:

To be honest, ntl could just do as other people, just not announce things until they are ready to role. I can't actually remember the last official ntl document that said coming soon about a product. Well maybe VOD but then there is a schedule for that now.

One thing that has to be remembered, is the scale of operations that BT and ntl work on, things are just going to take longer.
Having been on the inside and outside of NTL, It saddens me to watch them going down the road they are. They have fantastic staff who will help the customer all they can, Then they have these money grabbing idiots called senior management, who have no idea what a network is or where you would find one.
who have one and only one task in life, get as much as you can out of this thing called a network, Dont spend money on it, then reduce the use of the network while trying everything in there power to charge more for it whilst giving even less.

You might think i am bitter and twisted but i have seen the change over the last year and i dont like what i am seeing.