Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Shaping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Traffic Shaping

Old 05-04-2006, 08:57   #196
Rone
Inactive

Services: BB XL
Rone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enoughRone will become famous soon enough
Re: Traffic Shaping

I think ntl have managed to do a superb bodging job. In fact they lead the field.
Rone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2006, 11:37   #197
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
umm its 27mbps not 33 so not even 3 people can be simultaneous.
To be honest I find this hard to believe, as I download at a full 10Meg speed for quite a few hours from newsgroups and must say the connection is rock solid.

Can anyone clarify what the maximum bandwidth a UBR can handle is please?

I find it hard to believe only 3 customers on the same UBR can download at the same time at full speed.

I have encountered no signs of traffic shaping, in fact my line has never been soo good since the Modem change!!! (Thanks Oven Chips!)

Well done NTL!
Thank You for a fantastic service!

But please please no Traffic Shaping!!
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:28   #198
Paradox26
Inactive

Paradox26 is on a distinguished roadParadox26 is on a distinguished road

Maybe a bit late, but while updating posts from ntls newgroups, I maxed out at 20 odd KBps on a 1Meg connexion, when its usually 120KBps. Also my downloads from P2P were around 3-4KBps at around 7PM so something is definately going on here.
Paradox26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 13:55   #199
etccarmageddon
Inactive

etccarmageddon has a nice shiny star
etccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny staretccarmageddon has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik
BBking can answer that one - pm him and ask him to come to this thread.
etccarmageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 15:56   #200
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

They might as well launch an "Up to 100Mbps" service and just shape that down to 5Mbps or so.

The broadband speed levels don't really mean much if the ISP is going to throttle the speeds of various traffic.

It's like having a 10 lane motorway and allowing those driving BMWs and Audis (randomly selected) to use only the left hand lane, and everyone else has the full motorway.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 16:09   #201
James Henry
Permanently Banned

James Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these partsJames Henry is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...5&postcount=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignition
Ah to save a 'how much download speed can be offered' thread all DOCSIS specs are the same on this one so these apply to TW network:

6MHz wide 64QAM downstream, symbol rate 5.057Msym/s @ 6b/sym = 27Mbps payload
6MHz wide 256QAM downstream, symbol rate 5.36Msym/s @ 8b/sym = 38Mbps payload.

In ntl 'Bromley' network areas this becomes:

8Mhz wide 64QAM downstream, symbol rate 6.592Msym/s @ 6b/sym = 38Mbps payload
8MHz wide 256QAM downstream, symbol rate 6.952Msym/s @ 8b/sym = 51Mbps payload.

This is per downstream, not per uBR, each area can be fed more than one downstream but ntl aren't doing this at this time (Telewest are).
James Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 16:26   #202
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik
To be honest I find this hard to believe, as I download at a full 10Meg speed for quite a few hours from newsgroups and must say the connection is rock solid.

I find it hard to believe only 3 customers on the same UBR can download at the same time at full speed.

I have encountered no signs of traffic shaping, in fact my line has never been soo good since the Modem change!!! (Thanks Oven Chips!)

Well done NTL!
Thank You for a fantastic service!

But please please no Traffic Shaping!!
Yes it doesn't make any sense from the outset but thats how it is. Remember, not everybody are usenet leechers like some of us

Depending on where you are across the network, on the downstream side in original areas it would either be 27mbps or 42mbps per card depending on the QAM and 38mbps in ex c&w areas. I don't know whether higher modulation is in operation in these areas.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 17:39   #203
mcmanic
cf.addict

mcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about themmcmanic has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
They might as well launch an "Up to 100Mbps" service and just shape that down to 5Mbps or so.

The broadband speed levels don't really mean much if the ISP is going to throttle the speeds of various traffic.

It's like having a 10 lane motorway and allowing those driving BMWs and Audis (randomly selected) to use only the left hand lane, and everyone else has the full motorway.
thats why your/they are mad to pay top teir prices if they do traffic shaping, whats the point in paying so much but you cannot use it, you might as well pay less and still be crippled.

Bring back modems i say
mcmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 18:12   #204
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...5&postcount=11

In ntl 'Bromley' network areas this becomes:

8Mhz wide 64QAM downstream, symbol rate 6.592Msym/s @ 6b/sym = 38Mbps payload
8MHz wide 256QAM downstream, symbol rate 6.952Msym/s @ 8b/sym = 51Mbps payload.

This is per downstream, not per uBR, each area can be fed more than one downstream but ntl aren't doing this at this time (Telewest are).
Langley is the same as the TW specs I assume. I keep forgetting which I am but I think its langley. Has someone got the info for the bromley and langley areas?

Also why dont ntl make their entire network the same although it may cost a fair bit to rip out their langley stuff but having some people on 51mbps and others on 27 clearly is quite a difference some areas will have almost double the bandwidth available which probably explains the massive differences some people have with speeds. But once the network as a whole is all the same platform it ensures less of a postcode lottery so more fairness and no hassle of running 2 different platforms. Its a 2 tier service, customer A in area A might have digital tv services,VOD,10meg zipping along on a 51mpbs ubr and customer B in area B may have analogue tv, 10meg going at 1meg on a 27mbps ubr.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 18:12   #205
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmanic

Bring back modems i say
Dont worry thats what i have done. A DSL modem
Old 05-04-2006, 18:19   #206
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwn
Yes it doesn't make any sense from the outset but thats how it is. Remember, not everybody are usenet leechers like some of us

Depending on where you are across the network, on the downstream side in original areas it would either be 27mbps or 42mbps per card depending on the QAM and 38mbps in ex c&w areas. I don't know whether higher modulation is in operation in these areas.
I think sollp made a post a while back claiming the qam256 isnt been rolled out yet when I queried about mine still been qam64.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Quote:
I missed this, so I have read on here that telewest's network is apperently worse but at least they have the decency to use multiple channels for downstream. Is their a reason for ntl to not do this, it must be cheaper then a ubr reseg.
Old 05-04-2006, 19:38   #207
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
I think sollp made a post a while back claiming the qam256 isnt been rolled out yet when I queried about mine still been qam64.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

I missed this, so I have read on here that telewest's network is apperently worse but at least they have the decency to use multiple channels for downstream. Is their a reason for ntl to not do this, it must be cheaper then a ubr reseg.
Lincoln uses 256 QAM AFAIK. I don't think its a case of rolling it out everywhere, I'm sure again there are tighter noise specs and some areas may just plain not need it.

Probably more of a money issue and that channel bonding being the future.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 22:17   #208
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

I know some areas have the 256qam, I mentioned it then before I was going to ask why it isnt here where there is massive download contention sollp came in and told me its not been rolled out yet.

I can guess why the downstream bonding isnt active and that is ntl have too many channels still used by analogue and cost since they seem very reluctant to spend money. Perhaps the 27meg ubrs should come with bonded channels to provide a service comparable to the 51meg ubrs.
Old 05-04-2006, 22:53   #209
homealone

I am reluctant to post this, but I am getting a torrent down at 'up to' 200 KB/s, if this is shaping, bring it on
Old 06-04-2006, 19:58   #210
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
I am reluctant to post this, but I am getting a torrent down at 'up to' 200 KB/s, if this is shaping, bring it on
I was hitting 800kB/s on a "LEGAL" Linux Torrent!!!!

This traffic shaping is good sh*t lol!!
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote